Thread: Diablo II rears its rupugnant face once more

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I always thought the ability to create hybrid classes, or selecting your own skill trees, would make fore some interesting character builds.
    Figaro Castle

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    I always thought the ability to create hybrid classes, or selecting your own skill trees, would make fore some interesting character builds.
    I'm afraid characters built with such skills could be weak. A character becomes really strong in D II only when he's hyper specialized.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
    I want all skills (custom? zomg I hope :3!) to be effective (in some way or form) post act I.
    Through synergies, I hope to make this so. Although I plan for 60 skills per class, I hoping to have enough intelligence/creativity to make it so that each one is useful and powerful enough if properly invested.

Quote Originally Posted by KoShiatar View Post
    I'm afraid characters built with such skills could be weak. A character becomes really strong in D II only when he's hyper specialized.
    Sadly, KoShiatar is right. Although it would be quite fun, I don't think that it would quite be tangible.

However, it is possible to make new skills somewhat based on existing ones of other classes, such as making a Whirlwind-like skill for a Sorceress or some such thing. Also, there will be a number of o-Skills that may or may not allow the player to create awakward/interesting builds (such as the existing Bear Sorceress ofvanilla Diablo II).

so wait are we talking about mixing the characters skills here? that weould defeat the purpose of choosing a class. ya every char woukld be great with another classes skills but thats what makes it fun thier limitations and what you can do with those limitations to make the best char you can. i think the hybrid idea would defeat the whole purpose of the game although fun i agree that it would be inifitaiant and then all you would be doing is choosing a male or a female.

What types of enemies (in terms of begaviour, skills, how much Health, colours, size, shape, etc) would you guys like to see?

I was thinking of adding a level that incorporated statues breaking themselves off the walls to fight you. I think having enemies like these would add an element of surprise (rather than just wandering until you find a pack of idle enemies). These stone statues would have strong Defense and Elemental Resistances, hit hard with Knockback or Stun or Crushing Blow, but would move very, very slow.

Having an enemy that borrowed under the ground, like the Druid Vines, would be an interesting enemy, too.

Trees that swung at the player might be fun as well.

I want to add a creature that erupts out of treasure chests/wells/shrines/etc.

A morphing monster would be quite interesting, I think. Say, one that changed its elemental resitances, attacks, behaviour/etc...

Enemies that had both ranged and melee attacks has been something I've wanted to see in Daiblo II.

And lastly, enemies that summon others, not simply raising them.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Quote Originally Posted by IronOcean View Post
    so wait are we talking about mixing the characters skills here? that weould defeat the purpose of choosing a class. ya every char woukld be great with another classes skills but thats what makes it fun thier limitations and what you can do with those limitations to make the best char you can. i think the hybrid idea would defeat the whole purpose of the game although fun i agree that it would be inifitaiant and then all you would be doing is choosing a male or a female.
    They pulled this off perfectly with GW.

By having 1 certain attribute limited to being used by that certain class (for example, an Elementlist can use Energy Storage and associated skills to full!... but all other classes can only use skills within it at level 0... making a majority of the skills unusable).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Nominus Experse View Post
    I was thinking of adding a level that incorporated statues breaking themselves off the walls to fight you. I think having enemies like these would add an element of surprise (rather than just wandering until you find a pack of idle enemies).

These would definitely be fun, just as long as they were random, so not every statue would attack you, only some of them. It would help add to the surprise if you couldn't tell which were going to attack.
    Figaro Castle

I was thinking of adding a level that incorporated statues breaking themselves off the walls to fight you. I think having enemies like these would add an element of surprise (rather than just wandering until you find a pack of idle enemies).

These would definitely be fun, just as long as they were random, so not every statue would attack you, only some of them. It would help add to the surprise if you couldn't tell which were going to attack.
    Yeah, most definitely. Having every single one attack you would quickly become annoying, which would lead to frustration, and then you simply not giving a about the damned level.

I think I'll have a sound play or a subtle shift in the surrounding elements to act as a means of warning the player - though the warning will be minimal and the attack will ensue only moments later. I want to surprise the player, not simply cheapshot the player - especially in Hell mode, when everything hits hard.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

My answer would simply be:
    "Because bigger numbers are more fun, and may actually allow certain variants that lower numbers wouldn't."

And yeah, I'm certain I'll use the 1.10 version. The damage cap and other things are definitely a nuisance, and will inevitably create issues since much of this mod - as I plan it - is to make everything bigger and faster.

A problem I've seen with a lot of mods is that there are either far too easy, or are mind-bogglingly hard. Even Median suffers from this, as the current version is, simply put, a cakewalk.

Maybe I could implement a system that allows the player to use utility skills in town OFFLINE, but once online, they are disabled as usual? I think that would prevent TPPK and the like.

A lot of Diablo II is chance, so keeping the possibility of FE may be best. It sucks, but hey, Fanaticism/Stone Skin/FE Lister also sucked, and we got by it.
    Higher numbers are inherently more difficult to balance, simply because there are those times when those big numbers simply must become smaller: Lower Resist, Decrepify, Weaken, and the like. Bigger numbers are also more difficult for a computer to process, which leads to lag, but that, in my opinion, becomes a moot point as most computers can do WCIII-size calculations in a flash.

Additionally, bigger does not mean better. You have to control how fast those numbers scale, and there is a fine style of math that must be maintained in order to keep everything balanced. I like seeing 65k, as well, but what is the sacrifice if I can't do anything with against an enemy that spawned multiple large defense multipliers?

That'd require a code change. Open plays more like Single than Closed does.

The worst is Magic Resist/Stone Skin/Multiple Shots/Lightning Enchanted.

oh i have one minor one take off the once you kill cow king you cant make again its annoying. just fun slaughtering the cows.
    The Cow King Set come to mind? Unfortunately, the drop rate is even lower than Zod.

i like hat requirments need to be reached and not everyone can go in there.....maybe add a quest for the cow level and get some sort of prize for clearing or something along those lines. just a thought.
    Thus far, it's basically a dropping place for gems, white items, and other items, simply because there are so many. Boss runs are more effective for uniques and such. In this way, the Cow Level is both an end-game treat, but it only prepares you for the next difficulty. After that, it is insanely easy. However, the post-end-game, where vanilla crafting shows up, it drops all the items you need: low runes, gems, and magic items from level 80 enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by KoShiatar View Post
    Not pre-1.10. Before this patch, there was a system of need and character building. Skill based characters didn't really need items, but it helped. Some characters that were hybrids relied a little more on weapons. The truly esoteric build relied only a single skill or a set of skills that worked together to fulfill a niche, and all items. A balance had been struck among skill use and leeway. Then 1.10 came out, added synergies in an attempt to make under-used skills usable, and it all somehow went horribly wrong (and I can tell you exactly why).

That being said, Median caters more toward the post-end-game type of player. You've played vanilla to exhaustion, and you need something that goes past it. Median is you for you in this case; Crafting, uber-levels (which is what the game is ultimately balanced for), and a revamped difficulty that supports and scales with players. It is a niche that must be filled, but when the new Median version comes out, be assured I'm going back to those insane numbers again. At this point, even Median has dried up.

Does anyone know where to find a complete list of differences between v1.10 and v1.11 Diablo II LoD? And I'm not simply speaking of minor class skill fixes, but more along the lines of what the various caps are, how damage works, etc...

???

Finished brainstorming ideas for the Necromancer Skills.
    Tell me what you guys think, if you would.

And yes, the icons are from other Blizzard games.
    Last edited by Nominus Experse; 10-31-2008 at 01:35 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love playing summoners and the summons look tasty.
    Figaro Castle

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

And yes, the icons are from other Blizzard games.
    Sup, Warcraft III edited icons? One of them is Heartstopper Aura in DotA.