Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selphie's First GF?

Default Selphie's First GF?

I'm pretty sure at the "we were all in the same orphanage" part at the one Garden, Selphie mentions her first GF and how she can't remember it's name anymore.

I always wondered, is it possible to find this GF in the game? Is it ever revealed? Just a minor note of interest I always thought about when watching that scene.

Blog Entries

This might sound weird but for some unknown reason i always got this image of mini Selphie walking around the overworld and meeting Carbuncle then equiping it.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

I think it was Cerberus.

Those party members are concerned about the event, unlike Zell. That is because he's releated to Ultimecia.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I reckon it's Tonberry. We know she 'found it inside a monster she defeated' while on a field trip, and from her journal on the Garden network we know she went to the Centra ruins on a fieldtrip. She's also one of the characters with a high affinity for Tonberry from the outset, and Tonberry is a GF that's found after defeating a monster.

Wow. That does seem pretty spot on.

I read somewhere it is likely to have been Tonberry, but I didn't see/pay attention to the in-game evidence.

"I work in one of those humble call centres... Apparently, what we're doing at the moment is 'sprinkling our magic along the way'. It's a call centre, not Hogwarts." ~ Caroline Garlick, Ayrshire, BBC News Magazine

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    I think it was Cerberus.

Those party members are concerned about the event, unlike Zell. That is because he's releated to Ultimecia.
    That does not make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I reckon it's Tonberry. We know she 'found it inside a monster she defeated' while on a field trip, and from her journal on the Garden network we know she went to the Centra ruins on a fieldtrip. She's also one of the characters with a high affinity for Tonberry from the outset, and Tonberry is a GF that's found after defeating a monster.
    Well, I have a question. In the Final Fantasy VIII universe, how is a Guardian Force created and carried from person to person? Do they come in capsules or something? Selphie stated that her first Guardian Force was found on a field trip, right, so shouldn't she still have it when she joins you at the start of the game? Do you think that it was a gameplay aspect of disallowing party members to begin with a Guardian Force equipped?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maybe since trabia doesn't really teach their students to use a GF she couldn't harness its full power and threw it away or let it go. Balamb is the one that emphasizes GF usage the most.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

But does the game ever actually state how you harness a Guardian Force? Is it like a physical belonging or a mental belonging? Do you know if the game ever makes a statement on that?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    But does the game ever actually state how you harness a Guardian Force? Is it like a physical belonging or a mental belonging? Do you know if the game ever makes a statement on that?
    Well it's gotta be mental, y'know? If equipping GFs make you lose some of your memory, then they probably go into your brain and stay in the place where your memory was. The longer you equip GF the more you lose your memory (Probably because the GF gets stronger and needs more room)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby
    "The heart is something without shape, that's why people try to tie it together."

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    Well, I have a question. In the Final Fantasy VIII universe, how is a Guardian Force created and carried from person to person? Do they come in capsules or something?
    They're spirit being, apparently, seeing how they can manifest and disappear almost at will. The game tells us that GFs occupy a part of their owner's mind (that's why they end up causing memory loss: they occupy parts of the brain or mind that are important to long-term memory). Much like magic spells, GFs are complex energy structures. When you junction a GF, you take it into yourself and it integrates into you. As to how this is accomplished... it's probably similar to using magic: a supernatural process whereby your mind can control a form a supernatural energy. By taking in the GF, the user gains additional strength and powers, many of which usually belong to the GF.

A couple of times in the game, people are junctioned: Adel uses Rinoa as a Junction, and Ultimecia junctions herself to Griever. That's different, since they're junctioning a physical being, but the principle of integration is the same.
    Selphie stated that her first Guardian Force was found on a field trip, right, so shouldn't she still have it when she joins you at the start of the game? Do you think that it was a gameplay aspect of disallowing party members to begin with a Guardian Force equipped?
    She says she "junctioned it for a while", which seems to prove she didn't keep it.

And here I was thinking this thread was about Selphie being a Lesbian.

Ah well, theres still my dreams.

Oh aren't you brilliant...? What a handsome genius you are, mate.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    And here I was thinking this thread was about Selphie being a Lesbian.

Ah well, theres still my dreams.
    Great minds think alike.

Unfortunately they also steal your punch lines.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

I have no objection to discussion of Selphie engaging in sexual activity with other women.

As an American teenage male, I fully support it.