View Poll Results: What matters most to you in a game?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Interesting Storylines

12 29.27%
  • Fantastic Gameplay

29 70.73%
  • Amazing Graphics

0 0%
  • Your Preferred Difficulty (easy when you want it to be easy, hard when you want it to be hard)

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What matters most to you in a game?

A Lyrical Storm Is Coming TyphoonThaReapa's Avatar

Well, it's a mixture of a lot of different things. But If I was to choose one thing, I probably would would choose Gameplay like most people here. And for most of the same reasons...
    A'yo son, TTR WAS HERE!!!
    (SPOILER)BITCHES

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Gameplay.

I'm obsessed with Halo 3 right now, and have been for months, and I'm sure those of you who have had the misfortune to come into contact with me during those months are more than well aware of that! I don't know what the smurf the story is other than there's some angry aliens or something. I skip all the cutscenes because after watching a few seconds of them they just bore the hell out of me. Hell, I don't even play campaign anymore. The sheer perfection of its multiplayer is just the ultimate in gaming brilliance.

Blog Entries

People who say good graphics aren't needed in a good game are lying.

there was a picture here

good story line and good game play lol

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    People who say good graphics aren't needed in a good game are lying.
    Depends on how good the graphics need to be. In some games, they simply aren't required. FFVII is nothing in comparison to today's games, but I've played it from time to time regardless. I play Squarez every now and then, too, even though it's incredibly dated and has graphics little better than Tetris.

However, FPS games are a good example of where graphics do matter, as a lot of the game will rely on graphics. Games such as Myst, too, have visuals held high in importance. But you certainly don't need amazing graphics in games such as Asteroid or Freecell, but people will still play these games for fun.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think they're all important. Though if I had to pick one, I guess it'd be good gameplay. Seconded very closely by storyline (in my experience they usually go hand in hand - car games are an exception), then good graphics. I think good graphics can make a good game great, but sometimes the focus on graphics overtakes the quality of the game, so it becomes rubbish but pretty.

One day I hope for a game that has a fantastic storyline, amazing gameplay, exceptional replay value, and breath-taking graphics.

So far, Halo comes closest, but it still far from perfect. (This isn't counting Final Fantasys - at least give the other games a chance!)

What people seem to fail to understand is that there's a massive difference between aesthetically appealing graphics and technologically advanced graphics. Super Mario Brothers 3 is technologically awful, by modern standards. So is Chrono Trigger. But games like this have good graphics, as in they are nice to look at despite the technology. I'm sure you can generate your own list of top-of-the-line graphical games that are, in fact, really ugly and just not visually engaging for whatever reason.

Good graphics are very important; advanced/groundbreaking graphics are not at all.

As for the general question, there is no defining feature which makes games worth playing. It's always a combination of those things.

i personally like games that have an in-depth storyline, but good graphics doesn't hurt
    Those trapped in the darkness often grow weary of solitude. But when they finally escape, most realize that they miss the serene, peacefulness of the dark.

Gameplay, definitely. If I want an interesting story I'll read a great book or watch a engrossing movie. If I want amazing graphics I'll go outside or watch a very well made movie. Difficulty? As long as it's fair and not annoyingly cheap I'm good.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Storyline.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    What people seem to fail to understand is that there's a massive difference between aesthetically appealing graphics and technologically advanced graphics. Super Mario Brothers 3 is technologically awful, by modern standards. So is Chrono Trigger. But games like this have good graphics, as in they are nice to look at despite the technology. I'm sure you can generate your own list of top-of-the-line graphical games that are, in fact, really ugly and just not visually engaging for whatever reason.

Good graphics are very important; advanced/groundbreaking graphics are not at all.

As for the general question, there is no defining feature which makes games worth playing. It's always a combination of those things.
    This is a very good point, imo.

Gameplay is obviously the most important thing, play game, that's why you buy the game to play it, you buy art to admire it, listen to music to hear good music, ultimately, I think.

But, what matters to me personally as well as that is cuteness of a game, the kind of characters and setting that appeal to me, and style, I really love 2D games, I never get on with 3D ones, These days something I can pick up and play quickly for a bit at a time matters to me, so those are what I look for I suppose in terms of my games!
    rawr

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

How large are the following;

Death toll?
    Explosions?
    Boobs?

Gameplay. I was tempted to say story, but if I wanted a good story I'd read a book. Story is important, but secondary.

Graphics are nice, but totally unnecessary to me.

Gameplay>Graphics>Storyline>Difficulty
    The messenger is standing at the gate
    Ready to let go
    Ready for the crush
    Too late for whispers
    Too late for the blush
    The past is mercy
    When the future is aglow

I think that gameplay definitely comes first. A game could have a great story and great graphics, but if I don't have much fun playing it, I'll play it once and never again. Good gameplay is what makes a game fun the first time round AND second. I think that this and difficulty are similar; a game could have good gameplay but if it's too easy then it'll just get boring. If it's too hard, it'll be too frustrating.

I like a good storyline but it's not essential. In fact, I think some of the best games have mediocre storylines. Take Mario, for instance. The game's based around saving a lame-ass princess from a monster. There isn't much of a story, and what there is is , but it's a great game. Banjo Kazooie, another one of my favourites - Saving the main character's little sister from a wicked witch. Crappy storyline, great game. I personally think that FFX's storyline is mediocre (compared to other FF's) but the gameplay has me coming back for more.

I don't care much about graphics, although good graphics are a nice accessory.
    Last edited by Bakamut; 03-17-2008 at 03:57 PM.