Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So FFCC:Ring of Fates gets released today.....

Default So FFCC:Ring of Fates gets released today.....

Is anyone planning to get it? Hopefully, i can get it sometime this week when I go to my job and pick up my check. So far reviews for this game has been nothing but positive, especially this review from IGN. It looks very interesting

IGN: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates Review

Square Enix has developed one heck of a lovable habit on Nintendo DS. For whatever reason (maybe it's the fact that there might as well be three DS units for every human on earth at this point), the company has put tremendous stock in the success of Nintendo's handheld, and continue to pump out games every few months that are almost always raising the bar for what players have seen on the Big N's system. Of those games, however, none come with as much anticipation or all-out hype as Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates. We've already seen the likes of Final Fantasy III remade, and the release of Dragon Quest IX isn't to be looked at lightly, but we've known about Crystal Chronicles DS for years, and after waiting this long for it to finally release, expectations are undoubtedly high.

Square Enix is out to make the Crystal Chronicles brand a Nintendo-exclusive series, and it doesn't look like the company is going to be dropping the name any time soon. We've got the GameCube premiere title, a DS version now, a Wii game on the way, and even a Wii Ware sim that'll accompany the download service's launch. The company is making a huge Nintendo push on this front, but quantity alone won't get it done; there needs to be progression.

Square Enix's 3D engine makes a triumphant return.
    And that's where Crystal Chronicles ends up being a double-edged sword. Those that have been following our coverage all the while know the Crystal Chronicles embraces the same action-RPG feel, taking inspiration from beat-em-up dungeon crawlers, and also delivering the presentation and RPG feel that comes with a more mature role playing endeavor. What it does end up missing, however, is that full sense of community you got with the GameCube game, as the core experience with Ring of Fates is a single player only affair.

For what it's worth though, the experience is still captivating and fun. There's no jug to haul around in the DS version – Cube veterans know what we're talking about, while everyone else should just be thankful you're not "in the know" – the front end of the game is again delivered with simply stunning CG intro, and there's a surprising amount of VO set in place. As fair warning though, you of course get child actors to play the lead parts, and that means some high pitched, adolescent sounding tracks. They're far from bad, and we're glad it was included, but you may find yourself turning the audio down a few notches while around a more mature crowd. It isn't bad, it's just very kiddy, and sounds less like an RPG, and more like an episode of Pokemon.
    Co-op is essential in both puzzles and boss fights.
    All the core elements that we've touched on in hands-on sessions and previews have come through beautifully though, and that's a true testament to the company's devotion on DS. There's an incredible amount of depth in combat, with the ability to combo, air attack, grab enemies, hang from flying enemies, grab other players, use touch-integrated specials, and even smash baddies into walls to find hidden items they wouldn't normally drop. When working with a team (it's still Crystal Chronicles, so even when you're playing this one alone you can have a squad up to four on the screen at once) you can stack magic attacks, pull AI players back to your spot instantly, and manage their gear and levels accordingly. It's unfortunate that the actual AI for the friendly units isn't stronger though, as there were tons of times when we were fighting a group of three or four enemies, and watched as our teammates sat idle the entire time. Leveling up the characters increases their awareness, but during the beginning of the game – when players are most vulnerable – they're a bit too dumb.

Put aside all the expectations of Crystal Chronicles though, and you realize just how in-depth the package truly is. Yes, the majority of the game has now been crafted for a single player affair, but along the way Square Enix has developed a much more engaging story (it truly makes the GameCube game look like a children's book in comparison), develops stronger characters, and has created a world that feels infinitely larger. The opening dungeon, for example, could take some players an hour to traverse. Luckily there's a large amount of hand-holding in the game to counteract its impressive depth, and the game constantly winks at its own use of Moogles as tutorials. There were definite points in the story where we didn't know where to go though, and Crystal Chronicles never gets over the feeling of moving "trigger to trigger" in a world, just talking to people or doing precisely what's needed to activate the next section of story. But for the most part it's a truly engaging experience, complete with a seemingly never-ending amount of scripted in-game character acting, VO, and writing. Characters always seem a bit too lighthearted, but seeing as it's a Crystal Chronicles experience (and thus aimed younger overall), we understand why it's there.

Boss battles come in all shapes, sizes, and locales.
    Ring of Fates also includes a laundry list of options and modes that we couldn't possibly detail fully (without getting a publisher and book club to fund this review), but to sum up Crystal Chronicles is packed with content, both single player and multiplayer. The magic system alone can take hours to master, as the pile system is back again in full force, there's the ability to exchange raw materials for custom weapons (a great alternative to buying generic items), there's a whole Moogle Stamp system that's basically a game-wide side quest, the classic Blazin' Caravans racer which, while not as fun as the Cube version, is still pretty entertaining as a simple Mario Kart clone, an Animal Crossing-like Moogle Painter, which lets you draw on Moogle faces and then trade them online with friends, and of course the multiplayer aspects of the game, which are extremely robust experiences in their own right.

Those looking to pick Crystal Chronicles up for the classic multiplayer experience won't be disappointed, but you might not get exactly what you expect. For starters, the game takes a noticeable hit with four players on screen, dropping to about 15 frames per second (or far less, in some specific instances) just to keep up with all the character and enemy animation. It's far from perfect, but if you can get over some lag issues, it's still extremely fun. Since the game is multi-card only, you've got access to the full Crystal Chronicles experience, so you'll create your character, choose his class and stats, and save your items and equipment as you play. You can grab a few friends and traverse any area in Free Mode, or actually head to Rebena Te Ra and get multiplayer quests, which lead to special items and equipment. In fact, each of these quests are actually built around having a specific group of players (and classes), making teamwork essential, and giving the experience a great Four Swords feel along the way. It's really a shame that the frame rate couldn't be locked down, as it really makes what could have been a simply incredible experience one that's a bit less inviting. Along those same lines, we can't help but wonder why Square Enix won't take that final step into online, as nearly every DS launch so far makes use of some online modes, but never the ones we'd kill to get. This is again the case with Crystal Chronicles.
    Scripted story sequences break up the monotony of dungeon crawling very well.
    On the visual side, Crystal Chronicles does a great job of pushing the DS's 3D attributes, and it's obvious the time spent on SE's 3D engine that we've seen in Final Fantasy III, Dragon Quest Monster: Joker, and Chocobo Tales. It does still have some issues to work out, such as the frame rate issue, the very distinct digital feel to the movement – characters move in eight-way, with no in-between animations or fluidity – and there's very little physics work to make jumps or heavy attacks feel quite right. What Crystal Chronicles does allow for, however, is a mass of effects work on top of the 3D, which is great for magic casting and special attacks. You'll also see real-time model changes for all the equipment in the game as well, which is definitely unexpected. It's unfortunate that there was no way to add a dynamic camera to the action though, as things get crazy very quickly on the battlefield. All in all though, it's an enjoyable experience to say the least.

Closing Comments
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates isn’t the best Square Enix product on DS, but it’s very impressive nonetheless. Take the original design of the Crystal Chronicles series on Cube, streamline it for a single player experience, and then rebuild the multiplayer from the ground up, and you’ve basically got what Ring of Fates has to offer. Since DS is a portable, a huge chunk of the game’s development went to making sure that the single player offering is up to snuff, and it paid off marvelously. Characters have real depth to them, there’s a huge mass of scripted storytelling, the CG is – as always – the highest quality out there on DS, and the sheer amount of depth within the main story mode is pretty staggering.

On the multiplayer side of things, Crystal Chronicles offers much more than you get with most portable packages, but it won’t live up to the original’s standard. Players can link up locally and play multiplayer-specific scenarios, but the addition of each human player also brings about a wave of frame issues and overall game lag (not in the wireless, but in slowdown from too much on-screen action). It’s still an extremely robust and entertaining endeavor, complete with the same teamwork and feeling of epic co-op play, but it won’t satisfy in the way a full four player story mode did on Cube. We’re also dying to get some of these Square Enix games online (especially in this case, as it would feel like a DS MMO in a sense), but apparently it isn’t the cards. Hey, at least nobody is forced into “jug duty” this time around.

When all is said and done though, we’ve been watching Crystal Chronicles DS for over three years now, and the final product was well worth the wait.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I admit that I was not looking forward to the release of this game; however, I think that I may be able to play multiplayer over the Nintendo DS with other people, so my interest in the game has peaked slightly.

I may consider buying this after I move this weekend, but I get the feeling that if I don't get it soon, the hype and discussion surrounding this game on other websites will die relatively quickly and I will be left playing the game without a source of discussion.

I read what the review said about multiplayer: its ups and its downs. If you have bought this game and played it by yourself or with others, please let us know your thoughts. I am interested in the multiplayer aspect, mainly, but the game was centered and developed with a single player in mind, so that's slightly concerning; however, if the multiplayer is sound, I think that this series may have potential.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

I actually have it reserved, and just need to go pick it up

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Are you planning to play it by yourself or with others, ljkkjlcm9?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

I've been playing the game for almost 3 hours now and so far it's A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!!

No, seriously, it's handsdown the best FF DS game, heck, the best DS game in existance so far. The graphics are fantastic, the gameplay super, the music catchy but the absolute best thing about Ring of Fates...

The story.

No, really. I would go as far as saying that so far I think this game has the best story of all FF games (and I've played all main FF games aside from XI and played quite some spinoffs). Maybe not in terms of plotline, but pure alone for its beautiful characters. Yuri and Chelinka are lovable, deep and warm characters. The game and its story draws you in. The voice-acting and the cutscenes on the DS are amazing, better than what I've played of IV DS.

There is this one particular scene after you come down from Mount Vaal for the first time that just blew me away. Best scene in the entire series. Touching, sad, but very beautiful. Almost made me forget I was playing a DS game.

Aargh, I can't say enough good things about this game's storyline and characters. I just love it so much. If it hadn't been 01: 30 o clock yesterday night I would have kept playing until I had finished the game. >.<

No really, get this game. You're no FF fan if you haven't played this amazing game.

I'm so gonna buy it once it comes in Europe. (I'm playing the US version through ehm... less legal ways now. Don't give me that look, I said I'm gonna buy the game once I see it in stores here in Belgium. <_< )

How is the character customization? Is it the same as the Gamecube version?

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

FFXIV Character

Well I fear I haven't played FF CC on the GC. But there's lots to do. You can collect stuff from monsters to forge new equipment (and all of it is vissible on your character! Neat!), you have 4 characters who each have their unique ability and way of fighting, there's 6 types of magic to use and lots of ways of fighting (at least, I find, for a DS game). I'm not sure how it is compared to FFCC since I haven't played it, but I'm very satisfied so far with the game. Customization, characters and battles are all very well done and make for an interesting combat experience. It never really gets dull because there's plenty of things you can use in battles, throw enemies, use the environment to your liking and stuff like that. I have yet to do some more stuff with equipment forging, but the Bastard Sword I just forged is pretty powerful and there are tons of materials to combine. The thought of it excites me. ^^

Of course, the point were Ring of Fates trully shines is it's story, but the whole game just screams awesomeness. Perhaps people can notice it, but I'm very optimistic about this game.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Sounds cool, I am just about to start playing now.

oh, I plan on playing alone, and I'm picking up my copy tomorrow. I've been too busy with brawl to go today >.>

I don't have many friends with a DS around here, and those that do wouldn't get the game anyways

THE JACKEL

I played the Japanese release months ago and it seemed cool. My biggest problem is that, as I understand it, you can't play through the main game as a group like you could in the original, and instead can only do a series of side missions cooperatively. In my eyes, cooperative play is the whole point of the Crystal Chronicles subseries, and should never have been relegated to the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    I played the Japanese release months ago and it seemed cool. My biggest problem is that, as I understand it, you can't play through the main game as a group like you could in the original, and instead can only do a series of side missions cooperatively. In my eyes, cooperative play is the whole point of the Crystal Chronicles subseries, and should never have been relegated to the sidelines.
    yes and no. It's a portable game, so I can see why single player has an emphasis. I expect the Wii game that comes to be multiplayer focused however.

THE JACKEL

Its portable, wireless-capable, nature should have been more reason for it to stick to its core multiplayer roots. You're crazy if you think the original game was better suited for multiplayer. It required friends that could get together on a regular basis at someone's house with a Gamecube to play for hours at a time, a specific type of GBA, and a freaking GBA -> GC controller cable for each player.

Making the game more enjoyable single-player is fine, but the ability to play through the game in its entirety with your friends should not have been sacrificed. Terrible decision, and totally contradictory to everything Kamiyama and Kawazu claimed to be going for; end of story.

FFXIV Character

Even if the multiplayer was given up, I don't mind. I have no intention whatsoever to play through a 10 hour main-story quest with lag the entire time.

Besides, I'm glad they changed FFCC's ways. Instead of making it multiplayer, they made it a Nintendo Exclusive FF series, and Ring of Fates seems to be a perfect FF game example: a strong single player. And that's what the FF series is about.

I love this game, and I'm actually very glad it has such a strong single player game. I always loved the FF series, but I've always preferred all of Nintendo's series over the others, so I stuck with Nintendo systems. I'm glad they're finally bringing a truly good RPG to Nintendo. This game is very enjoyable! Not everyone has tons of friends to play it with either, so it's better they made it single player focused IMO.

THE JACKEL

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    I love this game, and I'm actually very glad it has such a strong single player game. I always loved the FF series, but I've always preferred all of Nintendo's series over the others, so I stuck with Nintendo systems. I'm glad they're finally bringing a truly good RPG to Nintendo. This game is very enjoyable! Not everyone has tons of friends to play it with either, so it's better they made it single player focused IMO.

THE JACKAL
    Good to know. Now I want this game more than ever =)

Vaan - "Hey, you!"