Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Sephiroth actually Jenova?

Default Is Sephiroth actually Jenova?

Something I never really grasped was if Sephiroth was actually being controlled by Jenova or just acting on his own.

Any thoughts?
    Nandattebayo!!!

sephiroth is hojo and lucretcia's kid while in the woom they infused the fetus with jenova cells. thats the connection, jenova became a sort of hive mind... so sephiroth and the kids are borg
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Sephiroth definitely has his independance though. He's like the queen, Jenova is king. He did the research. Went insane. And agrees with everything Jenova wants

Articles
    Blog Entries

it's been stated by the writers/directors that he was acting of his own will, Sephiroth was Sephiroth. However, in the end he was accomplishing Jenova's goals.

he just wanted to make his mommy proud...

Blog Entries

The Sephiroth sleeping in the Northern Crater was the real and original one controlling the whole thing through his consciousness / connection to Jenova. He was swept there by the lifestream when he fell into it from the Nibelheim reactor.

The Sephiroth you followed around from the Shinra building up to that point was Jenova (working together with Sephiroth) using her(its?) ability to appear as another person. This is why when you first meet Sephiroth on the Junon boat he doesn't recognise you, as Jenova hasn't had access to that part of Sephiroth's memory yet. This also explains away the very weird alternative idea of Sephiroth going around carrying that great big lump of flesh.

She also morphed into Tifa briefly to get whoever was holding the black materia to come and hand it to Cloud, before turning back into "Sephiroth" and then disappearing.

From the meteor summoning onwards you are only dealing with the real one, and you only meet up with him in the crater.

It's a teamwork thing, they're both just as evil.

Sephiroth has no speaking roles in the game aside from the flashback.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    The Sephiroth you followed around from the Shinra building up to that point was Jenova (working together with Sephiroth) using her(its?) ability to appear as another person. This is why when you first meet Sephiroth on the Junon boat he doesn't recognise you, as Jenova hasn't had access to that part of Sephiroth's memory yet. This also explains away the very weird alternative idea of Sephiroth going around carrying that great big lump of flesh.
    You are wrong. Jenova is brain-dead during FFVII, she didn't have control over anything.
    The reason for Sephiroth "not recognising Cloud" in the Shinra Cargo Ship, was because he wanted to screw with Cloud's mind.

She also morphed into Tifa briefly to get whoever was holding the black materia to come and hand it to Cloud, before turning back into "Sephiroth" and then disappearing.
    Nope. Jenova's body was already destroyed at that point(after you kills Jenova Death). The Tifa and the Sephiroth you saw in that scene, were illusions created by Sephiroth.

It's a teamwork thing, they're both just as evil.
    No, it's not a teamwork because Jenova is brain-dead. And because:

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimania Omega Guide
    ***Sephiroth's will and Jenova's will*** (Page 53)
    The Sephiroth clones seen in various locations continue gathering for the Reunion. Seemingly, the will of Jenova as a human is the result of it
    consuming Sephiroth's spirit; in actuality, Sephiroth is controlling Jenova.
    Jenova in FFVII is not a character, but a plot-device. Sephiroth used her cells to bring the clones to him(and the Black Materia), to regenerate his body, and to interact with the outside world(outside the Northern Crater).
    We could say that Jenova is nothing more than an extension of Sephiroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalixir View Post
    Sephiroth has no speaking roles in the game aside from the flashback.
    Of course he have. He is using Jenova's body(using his appearance) to interact with you, speak with you.

Question: Do you know why Kefka succeeded in destroying the planet?

Answer: Because the planet didn't fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crystal View Post
    Of course he have. He is using Jenova's body(using his appearance) to interact with you, speak with you.
    naw man, thats all Jenova.

Blog Entries

stuff
    Wow, you're sure of yourself (and frankly, come across as rather arrogant)

True, Sephiroth was controlling Jenova rather than the other way round, and I had some things mixed up, but Sephiroth himself was always sat at the crater. The one you follow around is Jenova, it is indeed Sephiroth controlling 'it' but it's not his body, which was always sat in that crater. He's controlling Jenova's shape shifting abilities to appear as himself.

It's been discussed countless times on here over the course of a decade...

Also if you supposedly destroyed Jenova just before Tifa comes to ask for the black materia, how does that explain there being 2 Sephiroths, one wandering around outside and one sat in his cocoon? How do you explain the thing labelled "Jenova" that you fight in the final battles?
    Last edited by Cloudane; 03-15-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    stuff
    Wow, you're sure of yourself (and frankly, come across as rather arrogant)

True, Sephiroth was controlling Jenova rather than the other way round, and I had some things mixed up, but Sephiroth himself was always sat at the crater. The one you follow around is Jenova, it is indeed Sephiroth controlling 'it' but it's not his body, which was always sat in that crater. He's controlling Jenova's shape shifting abilities to appear as himself.

It's been discussed countless times on here over the course of a decade...

Also if you supposedly destroyed Jenova just before Tifa comes to ask for the black materia, how does that explain there being 2 Sephiroths, one wandering around outside and one sat in his cocoon? How do you explain the thing labelled "Jenova" that you fight in the final battles?
    Sorry if I was rude, it wasn't my intention, really.

The body you follow during the first half of FFVII, is Jenova being controled by Sephiroth. The UOG explains that he/she throws parts of his/her body against you, and those parts transform in Jenova-Birth and Jenova-Life. But when the party reach the Crater, Jenova's body itself becomes Jenova-Death. After you kill it, the body Sephiroth was using during the first half of FFVII is gone(Sephiroth at the Crater - "You're right. This is the end of this body’s usefulness").
    The Sephiroth/Tifa you saw after that, was nothing more than an illusion(like the Nibelheim created by him in that place). This is why he/she needed RedXIII to give the Black Materia to Cloud. Sephiroth/Tifa couldn't pick the Materia from him, because Tifa/Seph was just an illusion.

Before the final battle you fight Jenova-Synthesis. That's the result of the Reunion. All the cells inside the clones and the remaining cells of Jenova's body(and her head IIRC) came together, forming that body.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalixir View Post
    naw man, thats all Jenova.
    Jenova/Sephiroth said he became a traveler of the Lifestream. He said that he wanted to summon Meteor and become a god by absorbing the Lifestream.
    But you are stating it was Jenova speaking, not Sephiroth. So, you are saying that Jenova could speak even brain-dead, and that it was all her plan, not Sephiroth's(contradicting what the creators of FFVII stated)?

And look at that:

Quote Originally Posted by Jenova/Sephiroth
    Jenova will be at the Reunion. Jenova will join the Reunion becoming a calamity from the skies.
    If it's Jenova speaking, why she is talking like Jenova is another person? I will tell you why. Because it's Sephiroth speaking about her, through her own body.
    Last edited by The Crystal; 03-16-2008 at 05:43 AM.

Question: Do you know why Kefka succeeded in destroying the planet?

Answer: Because the planet didn't fight back.

Blog Entries

OK... sorry, I misinterpreted your tone.

Now that you've explained it fully it makes good sense. I knew it was Jenova's body that you follow around, but not the ins and outs of its various forms and when it's destroyed. It actually explains the names of the Jenova iterations too.

That's part of the fun of this game, it's been around for what.. about 11 years now? And you still keep learning little bits about it all the time.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sephiroth = Jenova?

is that you serapy?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes and No...

I believe Sephiroth is controlled by Jenova but in a very indirect way. Sephiroth's goals in the game directly correlate to Jenova's natural instincts. Jenova travels and devours the Lifestream of planets. She's an exterrestial parasyte like Lavos in CT. Sephiroth is just acting on the part of him that is Jenova, his talk of becoming a god is just the human side of him rationalizing the natural instincts of Jenova that exists within him and creates the illusion that Sephiroth came up with this whole nonsense on his own.

Yes Jenova is basically brain dead in the game (though I don't necessarily believe she's gone consciously) and Sephiroth overpowered her will and controlled her to manipulate everyone into doing what he needed done. But I feel Sephiroth is indirectly controlled by Jenova's cells to fulfill her natural purpose. Basically it comes down to genetics...

I wonder where Jenova is from. The female figure portrayed on Jenova's flesh makes it obvious that a woman was involved. I bet she really was an Ancient/Cetra. I wonder if the craterous calamity from the sky was an infectious virus that took over this Cetra woman and if Jenova was her name or just the name given to the virus.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.