Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Naruto: Awesome or Opossum?

Blog Entries

I see nothing wrong with any of that Momiji. I can see why the genre isn't to your particular tastes, which is fair enough

And yeah, I find rabid fanboys (or fangirls) of anything annoying too. It's one thing to intelligently put forth reasons why you like something and even reasoned arguments in favour of the elements being discussed. Even saying that it's >all in your personal opinion isn't too bad.

It's entirely another thing to go around slagging off people who don't agree, or going into a competing anime/game/product/whatever's web forums and saying that it sucks compared to Naruto (or whatever is being fanboy'd). Trolling, flaming, that kind of stuff.

It works both ways too of course, people who dislike the thing should also go fort reasoned arguments rather than "haterism"

As for head bands etc. Ugh. I wouldn't be angry, I'd just shake my head and pity the person for being so weird. In a "WTF are you thinking, you do not look cool at all, you do not look like a hardened ninja, you just look like a retard" kind of way. The one exception I have, is that I do own a t-shirt with the leaf logo on it. But to most people it's completely meaningless, it's just there to strike up conversation if a fan happens to spot it, and t-shirts for stuff have been normal for decades.

I've skipped the statements made thus far to point out one thing. Momiji is right about the stereotypes. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about that. Humans have existed for 2-4 thousand years. Stories have existed almost precisely that long. Books, television, and movies all use stereotypes to define their characters. Everyone who is alive today is a stereotype regardless of whether we choose to admit it. About the only thing we can do is to stop using the word.

There is not a book, show, movie, anime, or game whose character's or plot development is completely original. It's completely impossible to attempt such a thing. No matter how you look at it, what you read, see, or hear will be reminiscent of something else and it's completely up to you to label it as stereotypical or cliche.
    Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    I've never been a fan of shounen anime, and Naruto is no exception. My dislike is further extended because of the filler, the characters, and the poor dialogue in the US dub (I really won't be bothered to watch the sub if I don't like the concept of the anime, period). Now, if all the unnecessary filler was taken out and put into novel form (not manga), I'm sure I would not mind reading it. I'd rather use my imagination for some of the concepts of the series, to be honest.
    Not liking a specific genre certainly does not give you leave to discredit it, Momiji, please keep that in consideration.

I have also been filled with contempt at the filler and certain things the characters say and do. Honestly though, I've heard the Japanese version (as well as for plenty of other shows) and the dub/sub is never the problem. If I like a show, the language doesn't bother me. An old friend of mine was crazy over the original lines of dialogue for DBZ, but I thought they sounded just as ridiculous. But that didn't dissuade me from watching the show. That's all just my opinion though, and still not enough to give me the right to bash that or any other show.

Truth be told, I presume your bashing was inspired by irritation and hope that it wasn't sincere as there is a noticable difference between insults and critiques.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    EDIT: Although them calling themselves Ninja, and using "Ninjustu" (isn't that how they spell it?) is really bullcrap.
    I know nothing of this 'Naruto' except screenshots, but I still feel compelled to point out that actual Ninja work usually didn't involve cartwheeling through windows in a black bodysuit. The popular conception of ninja practice, and the historical reality, are usually wildly different.

Blog Entries

I'm guessing it didn't involve running around in an orange jumpsuit shouting either, but it's just a term used in a fictional world. No sense worrying over realism 'cos it's not meant to be realistic

I agree 100% on Mercen-X's statements about stereotypes/clichés. That's pretty much what I said, but written much better.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    I've skipped the statements made thus far to point out one thing. Momiji is right about the stereotypes. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about that. Humans have existed for 2-4 thousand years. Stories have existed almost precisely that long. Books, television, and movies all use stereotypes to define their characters. Everyone who is alive today is a stereotype regardless of whether we choose to admit it. About the only thing we can do is to stop using the word.

There is not a book, show, movie, anime, or game whose character's or plot development is completely original. It's completely impossible to attempt such a thing. No matter how you look at it, what you read, see, or hear will be reminiscent of something else and it's completely up to you to label it as stereotypical or cliche.
    I've never been a fan of shounen anime, and Naruto is no exception. My dislike is further extended because of the filler, the characters, and the poor dialogue in the US dub (I really won't be bothered to watch the sub if I don't like the concept of the anime, period). Now, if all the unnecessary filler was taken out and put into novel form (not manga), I'm sure I would not mind reading it. I'd rather use my imagination for some of the concepts of the series, to be honest.
    Not liking a specific genre certainly does not give you leave to discredit it, Momiji, please keep that in consideration.

I have also been filled with contempt at the filler and certain things the characters say and do. Honestly though, I've heard the Japanese version (as well as for plenty of other shows) and the dub/sub is never the problem. If I like a show, the language doesn't bother me. An old friend of mine was crazy over the original lines of dialogue for DBZ, but I thought they sounded just as ridiculous. But that didn't dissuade me from watching the show. That's all just my opinion though, and still not enough to give me the right to bash that or any other show.

Truth be told, I presume your bashing was inspired by irritation and hope that it wasn't sincere as there is a noticable difference between insults and critiques.
    What I said in the FFVII thread was based on my irritation. But since we can all have a nice, mature conversation, my opinions are strongly based on critique. And I'm sorry, I'm just not into shounen anime, period. Naruto just happens to be the unfortunate series that fits my reason the most. And to be honest, I wouldn't hate it half as much if they got rid of the filler, did a better job of the dialogue, and spiced up the story a bit more to fit my interests a bit more. Perhaps it's just because I can't relate to the characters like I can in some of the series that I watch. I don't really know.

As for bashing, what I was saying really wasn't meant as a 'bash' (my reply to Sephitachi aside). Not in here, at least. I'm just giving my reasons as to why I dislike Naruto. I do believe that the fact that I am entitled to my opinion gives me enough reason to critique something I don't particularly care for.

Add Me to Your Mana Pool 41-Inches-Wide's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay fine you all hate me.

I love Naruto a lot. I was even obsessed with it after reading the manga. I edited all my pictures on MS Paint, putting in Konoha headbands and putting Naruto whiskers on my face. That's how I enjoyed Naruto. There's only few things in this world that makes me pumped up and excited. Reading fast-paced great Manga is one thing. So I don't mind the haters/irritated people, to each his own.

I have never watched the anime, but I think I will be getting the Naruto DVD compilation as soon as it's available along with Shippuden.
    I know that most of you have given Naruto a chance, watched a couple of episodes and all. What I don't like is people judging something they have honestly not given a chance. If you don't like it then you don't like it. But give it a chance. Read the first 20 volumes. There's no reason for the Naruto hype if the whole thing is crap. There's gotta be a reason why there's a huge, annoying fanbase for it.

Happy Birthday to Me

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by 41-Inches-Wide View Post
    . So I don't mind the haters/irritated people, to each his own.
    Yeah! And besides, you like all the stuff I like too!

Thou shall not speak... Randgris's Avatar

In a scale of 1 - 10, I'd give it a 7. I don't care what they say, it's fun to watch.

I think that Naruto's really overrated. There's soooo many better Animes out there.

Not a great show, but I enjoy it all the same.

Fights are fun, stories and characers are all pretty good. (Except Sakura and Sasuke, I hate them oh so much. Though Shikamaru and Shino kick ass.)

Overall, it's an alright show. I think it would have been way better if they didn't try to make it a kids show. I think that was probably the thing holding it back the most.

Blog Entries

Sakura is highly annoying (Shippuuden spoiler warning, for the dub watchers) (SPOILER)but she's about a million times better in Shippuuden. She's completely stopped obsessing over Sasuke, that's now Naruto's job.

I feel indifferent to the series. I am completely put off from it by its annoying fandom and main character, though.

So I would say opossum.

Of course I don't mind, as long as we can keep the discussion at a level of 'above Narutard', unlike Mr. Sephitachi in the FFVII thread.
    Ouch! Lol wow.

Look man I like Naruto and you don't. Regardless there isn't any need for that. Why you feel it's necessary to personally attack me I'm not exactly sure but I don't mind it.

You should give the real series a try. The storyline is actually pretty good and unpredictable. Some of my favorite parts were the Chuunin Exam and the 'kidnapping' of Sasuke if you can call it that. If it's not like you to like good fight scenes I think you'd appreciate the storyline. As for any one else that enjoys good fight scenes, I think all the fights are great (with exception of Sakura vs. Ino... what a bore).

I think it is an anime that everyone should try at least once. If you like it, good. If not, also good.

Definitely, in my opinion, awesome.
    Nandattebayo!!!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Sephitachi7 View Post

Of course I don't mind, as long as we can keep the discussion at a level of 'above Narutard', unlike Mr. Sephitachi in the FFVII thread.
    Ouch! Lol wow.

Look man I like Naruto and you don't. Regardless there isn't any need for that. Why you feel it's necessary to personally attack me I'm not exactly sure but I don't mind it.
    Look, I'm sorry, but whether you agree or not, you definitely filled the 'Narutard' persona in the other thread. In this case, I was using your post as an indirect example and not a personal attack. It's fine that you like it and all, but you really were overglorifying it while calling me ignorant.

As for me trying to enjoy it, I just couldn't. I watched a few episodes when Cartoon Network had a marathon of Naruto (100 shows in 2 or 3 days, I can't remember how long), and the only episode I remember actually enjoying was one where was this one ninja (the name escapes me, this was a year ago) surrounded Naruto with a bunch of mirrors and kept attacking him from behind. I found it entertaining to see Naruto get the living daylights beaten out of him. That and I liked the concept of that battle. Other than that, I was horribly disappointed with all the other episodes I watched. My little brother was engrossed with it though, much to my dismay.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

I can not be arsed to watch Naruto but No Boy No Cry is a badass song and I'll give Naruto props just for using it for a theme song.