Thread: Job interview LOLOLOL

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Job interview LOLOLOL

Rye is planning an escape from TJ Maxx, land of the thrifty and inquisitively insensitive menopausal female, bane to fruity teenage girls with self-image issues who refuse to fold ugly clothes under $100 dollars properly. You may be able to help her.

I applied to Gamestop a few days ago, and I got a call back already. I'm surprised because I filled out the application with half-assed effort. I think it's because I have retarded amounts of experience, considering the fact that I've done everything in the store besides managerial tasks. I have a job interview this Wednesday. I'm nervous excited. I'm confident I'll be able to do everything there fine, because I'm so used to register, and the store is like, a 1/10th of the size of TJ Maxx, so cleaning will be minimal to non-existent compared to TJ Maxx. I'm actually more nervous about the fact that I don't play video games nearly as much as the other employees do, I bet. So I need to catch up on that so I don't seem weird!

Also, what do you recommend I wear to the interview? I dunno how casual I should be. I'm thinking a polo and tan pants or something. I would prefer jeans. Hmmmmm.

tl;dr version: Do you have any job interviews coming up? Nervous? Excited?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Dammit Ryechu, I wanna work at GameStop and they refuse to call me back. All 3 stores refused me more than once, probably because I don't have a lot of experience. How the hell am I supposed to get any experience if no one will hire me? ;-;

I want a job interview.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have to do "job interviews" on a more regular basis than most people.

My last one didn't go so well. Client was a bitch. I used to be really nervous before consultations but not so much anymore.

You just have to be confident and friendly. People respond well to positive energy. Don't be afraid to laugh and show personality at your interview. People are always under the assumption that you have to be serious when interviewing, but a nice personable attitude can get your really far.

I have another consultation with a client coming up soon. The lady sounded sweet over emails, so hopefully it goes well and I book the job.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    Dammit Ryechu, I wanna work at GameStop and they refuse to call me back. All 3 stores refused me more than once, probably because I don't have a lot of experience. How the hell am I supposed to get any experience if no one will hire me? ;-;

I want a job interview.

EEEEE-YOOOO E-YOOOOO MOTIVATIONAL POSTER TIME!

It's tough at first, Justin, but you can do it! It took me about a year until I got a proper response to my applications. Now is a good time to apply because they start hiring around now for the summer. Even if you just put babysitting or something on there, put some kind of substance to your application!

And thanks, Miriel! I have a hard time being completely serious at auditions/interviews. I like to smile and be cheery.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    The lady sounded sweet over emails...

Tell them you frequent a Final Fantasy community. They'll probably hire you on the spot. Tell them Cloud Strife is your hero and you recreate Aeris' death scene on a regular basis.

Be a girl.

Don't make me get my 2x4 Woodinator's Avatar

I hope I'll have a job interview for a vet clinic in the near future O.o

so far i've only got one call back offering time for me to shadow a vet... which is something i guess
    *Insert epic sig here*

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    The lady sounded sweet over emails...

Tell them you frequent a Final Fantasy community. They'll probably hire you on the spot. Tell them Cloud Strife is your hero and you recreate Aeris' death scene on a regular basis.

Be a girl.
    So basically, go in with pigtails, some fruity Hello Kitty japanese shirt with a Hello Kitty hairband and tell them I'm saving up for a replica of Cloud's sword, so I can cosplay as Tranny Cloud?

Good luck, Rye!

I've had my fair share of job interviews, especially when I was job hunting over the past 18 months (well, up until around June last year). Just be yourself, sound interested in the position (but of course you are! ), and above all, good luck!

Also my advice is to slightly over-dress for the position. For example if the uniform is quite casual, e.g. a polo with jeans, go a little more formally, in black trousers/skirt, and a nice blouse. That gives the employer a positive impression.

Again, best of luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy Gamestop more than TJ Maxx!

"I work in one of those humble call centres... Apparently, what we're doing at the moment is 'sprinkling our magic along the way'. It's a call centre, not Hogwarts." ~ Caroline Garlick, Ayrshire, BBC News Magazine

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

I recently was employed as a rock climbing instructor and just today I started my job as a peer tutor. Both job actually fell into my lap and I instantly got them without needing an interview...

But I'm pretty good in interviews - I think the big thing is to just be genuine. Modest but confident; Energetic but mature; Outgoing but a great listener.

Boldly go.

Gamestop? I hope you like the awkward "flirting" of a hundred nerds every day.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    Gamestop? I hope you like the awkward "flirting" of a hundred nerds every day.
    You're incredible. xD

Yeah, it will be awkward, but honestly, I will take it ANY DAY over being yelled at by mean menopausal customers who ask me if I'm pregnant when I obviously don't look it.

You're a cute, charismatic girl applying for a job at a nerdy video game store. You don't need advice; you're already hired.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Not to rain on your parade, but I think Gamestop is supposed to be a pretty ty workplace. They seem to have pretty high turnover on people working there too. But maybe you'll work at a good one or I could just be plain wrong. Hopefully so.

Being female, knowing something about videogames, and alreadying having retail experience will almost certainly be enough to get you the job. Can't imagine you'd need to wear anything dressier than what you described, either.

I had a phone job interview today. I did pretty well. I know because I got hired on the spot. xP

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    You're a cute, charismatic girl applying for a job at a nerdy video game store. You don't need advice; you're already hired.
    Yay!

And Az, it could NOT be any worse than TJ Maxx. xD