Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wii is for Grannies

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Wii is for Grannies

My grandparents got a Wii. They're like... almost 80. And now my grandpa's consistently better at bowling than I am!

They decided to get one because, apparently, everyone at their Bible study has one and it's been really helping them get more active. The day I set it up we played two games of bowling and a round of golf and they were too sore to go to church the next day. My grandma went to church the day after her mastectomy for Christ's sake (literally, ha).

Do you know old people who have a Wii? How do you feel about this.

I, personally, think it's awesome. Playing video games with my grandparents is super fun.

my great auntie has one she is going psycho on it she plays Wii sports and thats it

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I remember reading something in Kotaku about a significant portion of Japanese elderly (most grandparents) have Wiis. I wonder if the whole Wii Fit thing will help sell more to older generations as well?

Well, Nintendo has definitely done what they set out to do.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The United States government should offer free Wiis to seniors over the age of 80 who willingly trade in their drivers license.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Stu's parents aren't that old but they're entranced by his wii and DS both.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    The United States government should offer free Wiis to seniors over the age of 80 who willingly trade in their drivers license.
    Wait for the release of Mario Kart Wii and they can bundle it.

There are actually nursing homes that bought Wii for their residents, I remember reading an article about it some time back.

I remember bringing my Wii to my friend's house last year for spring break. His dad was completely against video games, but we got him to play some Wii and he loved it.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

There was a thing on the local news that went into a retirement home that has weekly Wii Bowling. Seeing all those old people getting so excited over virtual bowling was pretty much adorable.

I think it's pretty cool, but I wonder how many of these "non-gamers" that buy Wii's will ever venture past WiiSports.

My friends parents bought a Wii for themselves and not for him, so I thought that was weird.
    Anon say I. Photobucket

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Boyfriend's parents got themselves a Wii. They're not Grandparent old, but still, it's kinda funny.

If I had the money, I would get my grandparents a Wii, I think it'd be super cute watching them play.

My best friends parents frequently play on the Wii they bought her. It's weird, but cool. I wish my parents were more like that! They used to play games, but then sort of quit and see them as 'boring' now.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

My grandma's always complaining about how boring her life is, so I wish she'd buy a video game console and shut up. I know she'd like the Wii, but she doesn't like spending money.

Out of curiosity, do the elderly folks who play the game ever accidently send the Wii-mote flying through the TV? Or are they not quite that active yet?

It's cool. The more gamers, the better. I can't wait to see Jack Thompson's complaint that the Wii is turning our elderly into mass murdering psychotics.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Germ Hamee View Post
    There was a thing on the local news that went into a retirement home that has weekly Wii Bowling. Seeing all those old people getting so excited over virtual bowling was pretty much adorable.
    Yes, I thought of that local news story, too. The 9News Article - A Bowling League Without A Bowling Ball aired on the local news a couple of weeks ago.
    I believe in the power of humanity.