Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 20 JRPGs by Gamasutra

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I liked the Chrono Cross review but I am sadded at a lack of Tales and Star Ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post
    Best sound track ever, according to the man himself, Nobuo Uematsu. The best game ever, according to the creator of Final Fantasy, Sakaguchi. That alone is reason enough.
    Wait, what!? So instead of thinking for yourself and forming your own opinions on what makes a good game, you're content to let the creators of certain games do all of the thinking for you? They're NOT gods, they're people, and their opinions are just that: opinions, not law. It must be horrible to be able to simply shut your brain off and put it on "auto-pilot". I like FFIX, but not because Uematsu or Sakaguchi told me to. o.O The fact that those two like it doesn't mean that the author of this list had to include it.

I apologise if I misinterpreted what you were trying to say, but if that is indeed the case, then you really needed to word it all much better.
    Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

an opinion is an opinion, that's all any of these lists are

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

This fella has an em dash fetish! It was a pretty cool list. Obviously, like others, I do not agree with everything, but it was a fun read. I'm glad to see a list that can use the likes of X and XII and Trigger and Cross at the same time. Fans are so "This one is perfect and this one is complete " about such things, which is stupid.

Conglomerating IV, VI, and VII was a pretty big cop out though

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard von Elru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post
    Best sound track ever, according to the man himself, Nobuo Uematsu. The best game ever, according to the creator of Final Fantasy, Sakaguchi. That alone is reason enough.
    Wait, what!? So instead of thinking for yourself and forming your own opinions on what makes a good game, you're content to let the creators of certain games do all of the thinking for you? They're NOT gods, they're people, and their opinions are just that: opinions, not law. It must be horrible to be able to simply shut your brain off and put it on "auto-pilot". I like FFIX, but not because Uematsu or Sakaguchi told me to. o.O The fact that those two like it doesn't mean that the author of this list had to include it.

I apologise if I misinterpreted what you were trying to say, but if that is indeed the case, then you really needed to word it all much better.
    Yeah, you completely misinterpreted what I meant. I mean, FFIX was my favourite game ever long before I heard about Nobuo and Sakaguchi loving it. I was just disagreeing with people who think that FFIX wasn't that special.

I also think that if you are talking about amazing JRPGs you should listen to two of the most important people in Final Fantasy. I also forgot to mention that Uematsu's favourite game is FFIX. Not just the sound track.

Sure, my personal opinion is uninfluenced by that but it does mean FFIX should be shown more respect than it does.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

I wouldnt agree putting Phantasy Star IV instead of Phantasy Star II but a good list nonetheless.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Commenting on FFIX, I agree that it didn't risk anything or push the limit in any development direction. However, I would argue it's the most well rounded game in the series, and could make it on an essentials list as a definitive example of an RPG whose parts are all proportionately adequate and sum up to an amazing whole.

The list was good though, I think it was well put together and covered most of the games that would need to be covered, although I agree there were a few that shouldn't have been.

At the same time, assuming Kurt Kalata is not Japanese, I think it's inappropriate for Western gamers to suggest what the essentials of Japanese RPGs are. For example, FFVI isn't anywhere near the top ranked games over there, yet in America it has a cult following in the RPG community. The opposite is true of Final Fantasy III. Part of the problem is that Americans are so opinionated on Final Fantasy, yet we were only exposed to half of the first six games, until Anthology. So while I personally think it's a great list, I'm sure the people who actually make these games, the culture from which its perspective is rooted in, and the audience it is targeted to would have very different opinions than we do.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The article is obviously written for a Western audience, from a Western perspective. What the most popular Japanese RPGs are in Japan is pretty irrelevant.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    The article is obviously written for a Western audience, from a Western perspective.
    And I never doubted that. I'm simply stating that, to me, it's inappropriate for a western critic to state what the essential japanese RPGs are. Not only because of the amount that we haven't played, but because in the end, all we can do is interpret these games in a vastly different manner than they are conceived, first with the localization, and secondly by the individual gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Commenting on FFIX, I agree that it didn't risk anything or push the limit in any development direction. However, I would argue it's the most well rounded game in the series, and could make it on an essentials list as a definitive example of an RPG whose parts are all proportionately adequate and sum up to an amazing whole.
    I agree. Also, just because those games are on this particular list doesn't mean they're better than other games out there.. He didn't look at the games objectively.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    The article is obviously written for a Western audience, from a Western perspective.
    And I never doubted that. I'm simply stating that, to me, it's inappropriate for a western critic to state what the essential japanese RPGs are. Not only because of the amount that we haven't played, but because in the end, all we can do is interpret these games in a vastly different manner than they are conceived, first with the localization, and secondly by the individual gamer.
    I fail to see why I can't have a valid critical opinion of something that wasn't made by me.

At the same time, assuming Kurt Kalata is not Japanese, I think it's inappropriate for Western gamers to suggest what the essentials of Japanese RPGs are. For example, FFVI isn't anywhere near the top ranked games over there, yet in America it has a cult following in the RPG community. The opposite is true of Final Fantasy III. Part of the problem is that Americans are so opinionated on Final Fantasy, yet we were only exposed to half of the first six games, until Anthology. So while I personally think it's a great list, I'm sure the people who actually make these games, the culture from which its perspective is rooted in, and the audience it is targeted to would have very different opinions than we do.
    So, by that argument, Hollywood writers and actors are the only people who can pass valid judgement on movies?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I think he means that only Japanese people have valid opinions on Japanese RPGs, which is still crap.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Had it been composed by a Japanese critic, it would contain almost every DQ game (hell they may even find a way to put DQIX on the list) it would have FFIV, VII, and maybe X then the rest of the games would be RPGs no one has ever heard of...

I may have misinterpret your meaning Briene, but I feel he looked at the games pretty objectively. Its not often you see a "Best of" or "Essential" list and the writer makes it a point to talk about the games flaws.

A very good list. Many of those games are among my favorites too. I'm glad Skies of Arcadia found its way in there. About Phantasy Star...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    I wouldnt agree putting Phantasy Star IV instead of Phantasy Star II but a good list nonetheless.
    I still want to play and finish both, but I guess a reason why Phantasy Star IV was chosen instead of II is the fact that II's gameplay is horribly outdated. You have to level-grind continuously to beat the game. I reached the first dungeon, but that was it for me >_< When I have much, much more time and nothing else to do I'll try it again, until then though, I'd rather play IV.