Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top 20 JRPGs by Gamasutra

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I disagreed with pretty much everything he said but I liked his review of FFX
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

About FFIX and its place on the list—a few months ago I tried to find out why I liked it so much. I know what the problems are—the Sephiroth-lite villain, the used peasant and princess that fall in love, the weird ending, the limits that couldn’t carry over battles, the ability system that had players using old equipment to learn skills, probably other stuff I don’t even remember. I don’t even like the older games, so nostalgia isn’t a factor.

I eventually realized that my favorite part of the game are what I call the small character moments—little scenes not necessarily connected to the plot that show a side of a character. Scenes like Steiner getting lost in the city, Vivi and Dagger in Dali, Freya and Amarant’s conversations in Treno, Zidane hanging around Lindblum. Even things like the scenes with Tantalus and the Lindblum border guards. Some were ATEs, and others were in the main game. Individually, they aren’t important, but taken as a whole I thought they were a fantastic way to flesh out characters. It’s also more realistic, since most people learn about others by watching them do day-to-day things.

I guess all RPGs have scenes like this, but FFIX felt like it had significantly more, probably because of the ATEs. I don’t play enough RPGs to say if that is innovative, though it’s not something I see much in FFs. I don’t know if it should be on the list(really, does almost every modern FF need to be on it?), but it certainly puts it above run of the mill RPGS. It’s also something I would’ve loved to see it in XII, since I didn’t feel much connection with some of the main characters.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah, those little scenes add depth to a character and there were very few of them in XII and most of them not voiced over
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    Yeah, those little scenes add depth to a character and there were very few of them in XII and most of them not voiced over
    In the old days we didn't have voice acting, hell we were just happy that our characters had predetermined names; though it never stopped us from changing them. I had to walk 20 miles uphill, both ways, and in the snow to get to a gaming store to buy my games in cartridges. Remember cartridges? If the game didn't work you had to blow in them and it would take maybe 20 minutes to... Zzzz *dozes off*

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cartridges? Son I remember cassettes.

I remember charcoal drawings on cave walls so suck it.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I am pleased that Valkyrie Profile and Grandia were included in the Top 20. I was surprised to find that I had played every single game in the list except for Panzer Dragoon Saga, too.
    I believe in the power of humanity.