Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Crisis Core

Oh damnit, I knew I should have waited for something like that... Ugh!

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I may buy or rent this game. How many hours long is it without the side missions? I'm busy with FF Tactics(PSP) and Warcraft 3 right now though.

The game had high critical and user reviews and high sales(277,00 copies or so sold in the first week!)
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Took me about 20 hours, but I did around 30% of the missions and took my time (though I didn't bother levelling up or getting decent gear, was able to beat it with basic gear and level 33).

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

You are ruling my life right now! Anyways, I may beat Final Fantasy Tactics(PSP) tonight, it'll free up some time for me to finish Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. Anyways, I can't wait until my paycheck 14 days from now on April 28th. I get to finally buy Alundra 1 but I'm tempted to just buy FF VII: Crisis Core.
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finished the game a few days ago... A decent game but overall I was rather disappointed by it.

The gameplay feels like a dumbed down version of the KH1 system (including the obnoxious camera ) with brain dead AI and broken abilities and materia. "Challenge" is judged by RPG terms, not by action game terms. The enemy doesn't get smarter they just do more damage... Still, it gets the job done and at least its not completely boring.

The missions are fun but lack variety (kill things, find area boss, end mission. Wash, rinse and repeat) but the main story offers many different gameplay elements The DMV is what I feel really saves the gameplay as it adds a little bit of depth to an otherwise shallow fighting system. I'm also irked by the fact that it doesn't take much to beat the game. At lv. 35 you can finish the final boss who is an utter joke...

Graphics are amazingly pretty though I feel CC is too clean in design while the original was more gritty and dark. I'm saddened by CC dropping the orignals "steam punk/ Blade Runner style cyber punk" style for a modern sometimes bordering on FFVIII levle design. The voice work is top notch. Music is good but I found the only really strong tracks to be the remixes from VII (I want the credit music which is a medely of all the VII remixes ), there are a few good original tracks but not many. I also agree with Dreddz that the jpop at the end was pretty bad...

The story... is like the music. At times its really powerful and amazing... at other times its boring and generic. Oddly enough, the good parts are the parts where Zack deals with other returning characters and elements from the original game. The scenes involving Tseng, Aerith, Cloud, and Sephiroth are quite well done and creates a wonderful sense of "what is to come". The original characters for CC on the other hand are pretty terrible with the exception of Angeal and a few of the minor characters. Lazard, Hollander, and Genesis are quite generic and feel like bad copies of other characters (Hojo and Sephiroth come to mind...) Hell the game never even really explains certain elements about some of the characters (Luckily the Ultimania for CC does but I would have preferred it in game like it was should have been...).

Genesis is basically a carbon copy of Sephiroth (SPOILER)(right down to his motive and origins) except instead of doing anything about it, he just whines around about how Sephiroth is better than him and makes pointless quotes from LOVELESS. He is by far the most irritating villain in the series in my opinion. I'm lumping him right next to Shuyin of FFX-2. He shall forever be called "Emo-Sephiroth" by me

Angeal is a pretty good character, its a shame he is so heavily tied into "Emo-Sephiroth" and the main and utterly pointless story. His relationship with Zack was well done but once again there are a few story issues (once again the Ultimania clears it up and once again I felt it should have been explained better in the actual game. :rolleyes2). He's one of the few "new elements" besides Cissinei(sp?) that was actually well implemented.

There are some minor plot changes to the main game but the only one that really bothered me was (SPOILER)Genesis being at Nibelheim. It served no purpose and was the moment that made me really start to dislike the game. There are also a few pacing issues as the main story feels like its either quickly rushing you to the next major plot point or slowing you down needlessly with pointless fetch quests. I love how the game starts you in the middle of the (SPOILER)Wutai war and then next thing you know, its over with no in-game resolution.Your just told non-chalanting that its done with.

At best CC is a mediocre game in a pretty package. At worst, its a terrible perversion of a good story. Overall, I prefer Last Order to Crisis Core. CC just reminds me once again why I don't recognize the Compilation's existence. :mog:

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Overall, I prefer Last Order to Crisis Core. CC just reminds me once again why I don't recognize the Compilation's existence. :mog:
    And that's the part I don't understand. You accuse CC of fuc*ing with the story, but that's exactly what LO did.

I prerefer 1000 times more, Genesis appearing in Nibelheim(and not changing much of the original story), than Tifa waking up and talking with Cloud at the Reactor(creating a big plot-hole).

Please, explain to me why you think LO is so much better than CC.

Question: Do you know why Kefka succeeded in destroying the planet?

Answer: Because the planet didn't fight back.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Crystal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Overall, I prefer Last Order to Crisis Core. CC just reminds me once again why I don't recognize the Compilation's existence. :mog:
    And that's the part I don't understand. You accuse CC of fuc*ing with the story, but that's exactly what LO did.

I prerefer 1000 times more, Genesis appearing in Nibelheim(and not changing much of the original story), than Tifa waking up and talking with Cloud at the Reactor(creating a big plot-hole).

Please, explain to me why you think LO is so much better than CC.
    I'll correct any confusion when I say that I don't like ANY of the Compilation as ALL of them smurf with the original games continuity. (SPOILER)Genesis is a piss poor villain and him egging Sephiroth on at Nibelheim about his origins destroys the impact of Sephiroth discovering the truth of his origins IMO. Of anything, I'm surprised Sephiroth didn't begin to question his origins during the earlier parts of the Genesis rebellion. His only purpose being there is to tie him into the main games story which throws the main games story into mass confusion as he plays no part in the original.

(SPOILER)Genesis being there creates a massive plot-hole as well since Cloud never mentions the attack by Genesis clones at the reactor and he has no recollection of Genesis being at the reactor itself. This is a huge plothole in my opinion thats much more difficult to fix than Tifa and Cloud having a conversation.

I don't see the point in Genesis. As a character or a villain, he's just a whiny Sephiroth rip-off whose only purpose is to guarantee we will be seeing crappy sequels from this game for years to come. I mean his own ending in the game doesn't make a damn lick of sense and is nothing but pretentious bull like everything else concerning him.

I prefer LO cause it deals with the most important part of Zack's story. It expands his character greatly, and it fixes one of the few plot devices that never made sense to me from the original (the only thing I felt worth retconning in VII) and that was how Sephiroth fell into the Lifestream. Yes it screws with coninuity which irks me like no other but to me its minor compared to what the rest of the Compilation has done to the original games story.

Genesis is officially the most ill-conceived villain in the entire FF series, if not the entire history of video games; (SPOILER)he's nothing more than a poor-man's Sephiroth who continually spouts out repetitive Loveless bull.

And is it just me, or (SPOILER)does the expression on Aerith's face in the ending retcon, at least to a certain extent, the very notion that she was completely oblivious to Zack's fate in FF7? The look on her face right before we see Zack's bloodied face tells she at least knows that Zack is dead.

this game is amazing, 99/100, materia fusion is umm *slightly* broken. i ended up with a regen materia that gave me 350% HP and some yellow or another that gave me plus 43 attack
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon.' Need I say more?”

finished the game late last week on normal, playing through a new game+ on hard. i was a little disappointed with how easy the main game was, but playing it through on hard, even on a new game+ with my lv. 59 zack and countless mastered and ultimate materia, is a task. the missions are exponentially harder (even the "easy" missions have rediculous enemies).

Overall, i have to say i would give this game 90/100. The story and dialogue is a bit cloudy at times, but is clear and concise when dealing with returning characters and the overall theme of FFVII. I could've done without the ending involving (SPOILER)Genesis, Lazard, Cloud and Zack and the banora apples, along with the entire Genesis stoyline. The game should've ended with Zack and Cloud's harrowed and epic escape from Nibelheim, and the cool little reunion with Cissnei at Gongaga. NO GENESIS! I think he sucks as a character and as a villain. The conflict revolving him is the weakest link of the plot. But, the emotional ending on the cliffside is what makes this whole game worth it. I've never gotten the goosebumps so frequently from a video game. It was the most well done and intense scene of the game, and it gets you on to the continuation into FFVII, which is the whole point of this game anyways. Another reason I think the Genesis storyline is...sloppy, weak, and USELESS!

As for gameplay, the battles seem simple enough in the beginning of the game, but as your levels increase and the missions get harder, it becomes more strategy and learning to scroll through your battle menu and selecting your actions quickly and effectively. Early on, it's admittedly possible to complete most battles by just hammering the X button, but later in the game i found this not to be the case. Getting used to scrolling through your battle menu and using multiple strategies and attacks on the enemy makes the battles much more worth it. As for the DMW, it can get old sometimes but overall I think it adds an original element to the battle sequences. Also, (SPOILER)in the final battle scene when the DMW is malfuntioning and shutting down...it for some reason makes the ending all the more emotional.

This is a good game. It has its criticisms, even from me, but if you're a true fan of FFVII and support the compilation, CC is indeed a fantastic and thrilling buy. And if you buy it for anything, the final scenes are some of the most gripping I've experienced in a game, and they're much more well done than LO did them. Kudos to the team. I am a fan of the compilation, and apparently there's one more title left to be announced to be the finale of the project. I can't wait.
    yes, i'm a FFXIII fan.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

(SPOILER)I know right, the last battle with the broken DMV was so freaking good..

I loved the ending, but i didnt know genesis, and they couldve left that storyline out.. and put in the trip with tifa to the reactor or something.