Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Boss. What is that?

What's a real shame here is that the first time you face the final boss, sure it's difficult enough, but then when you enhance your stats even more to take on an optional boss, the final one becomes piss-easy. There should be some sort of system that changes the final boss's difficulty and stats depending on your own.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    There should be some sort of system that changes the final boss's difficulty and stats depending on your own.
    Well... in FFVII, the final boss gets harder as your team's level increases; and in FFVIII, that happens for all the fights in the game.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

And in FFT, the boss fights stay at a fixed level while the random encounters stay commensurate with your party's levels.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    There should be some sort of system that changes the final boss's difficulty and stats depending on your own.
    Well... in FFVII, the final boss gets harder as your team's level increases; and in FFVIII, that happens for all the fights in the game.
    ...and he still can be killed in one round...

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Yeah I know. Hence the reason I am mentioning it here...

ok i agree that optional super bosses can make the game more challenging. still why the final boss continue to be the strongest. even if i reach all my characters level 99 he would be more than a challenge. if you kill all the strong monsters the only one you can continue to fight is the final boss. i don't want to kill it in 2 minutes (included vids).hope the next one will be better in that area(only that area. the game as a hole is great).does anyone know when the new game will come out?????thanks!!!!!!!

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I just want one modern FF game where I'm not ridiculously over-leveled by the time I reach the boss when I didn't even do the optional sidequests. It doesn't have to be the hardest thing out there, but at least make it a challenge.

I agree. The final boss of XII was too easy. You could just hit him once, then turn all your gambits off and heal and he'd get to HP critical by himself. From there it's just a few more attacks and hes toast. As for making the final boss have 50 million HP instead of an optional boss, that's ludicrous. Most people would not want to to a mandatory fight that lasted around 6-8 hours. I do agree that the final boss should be more difficult but not to that extent. I like really hard optional bosses, they give me more to do after I beat the game. What I do is make a new save file before I fight every optional boss so I can fight them whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2000X View Post
    I agree that it's a shame that the final bosses don't equate to even remotely hard anymore. I remember back in the day when the final bosses were the toughest of the tough and fighting them was epic. Now it's just a small fly swatting between me and a final cut scene.
    Yup. Trying fighting Chaos in FF1 without at least leveling up to anywhere from level 27 to 30. Or even trying to get to him for that matter

The final bosses are easy compared to optional bosses because they're meant to be hard at the level you would be at from just following the storyline, and not doing any major level grinding or sidequests. Optional bosses are meant to be hard at a level if you DO decide to level grind and do sidequests.

But because of all the fun sidequests and extras, the final bosses do usually wind up being a joke. Then again, its only us hardcore FF fans who do ALL the sidequests and ALL the level grinding. A good percentage of FF gamers are those who just want to do the main storyline, take on the mediocre challenge of the final boss at reasonable character levels, and not be bothered with the countless hours of level grinding.
    Last edited by crazybayman; 11-25-2008 at 01:25 PM.
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I remember being surprised at the lack of difficulty in the final battle. I think that Square Enix should design more depth to these battles from both a gameplay and a storyline standpoint.

A level scaling or gameplay scaling scenario sounds good, too. I believe that Star Ocean: Second Impact did this with its final boss, Indelacio, by giving him two forms.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

^Yeah, he becomes about ten times harder. And it wasn't like he was easy before.

I hardly did any sidequests so as a result my best equipment was whatever I could buy and my main party was only in the 40s. So Vayne actually took quite a few tries, a pretty hectic battle.

Oh Chaos....I was level 60 when I fought him and he was still a legitimate challenge. Oh the good ol' days. I think what Square Enix's thought process is, the more stages to a boss fight, the harder it is. They are focusing too much on how many stages the fight has instead of how hard the stages are. A 3-stage fight should not be incredibly easy for the first two then somewhat difficult the third. It should start out as somewhat difficult and then get harder each time. I mean, look at the final boss of FFIX, it was pretty difficult the first stage, then it got way harder. It did for me at least, but I may have been a level or two under what I should have been.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

In my opinion Vayne was a step in the right direction. Sure if you're level 60 or above the fight get's pretty easy, but at level 45 (a likely level if you don't do sidequests before fighting him) he's no pushover. Which is more then a lot of final bosses can say. I probably could've been Ulti, Seph, and Kuja without prior sidequesting with little trouble.

In FFXII your going to either going to find Sidequest monsters early for fighting them at a low level, or have trouble with Vayne for being a low level, or powerlevel, but that would make anything easy :P

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    In my opinion Vayne was a step in the right direction. Sure if you're level 60 or above the fight get's pretty easy, but at level 45 (a likely level if you don't do sidequests before fighting him) he's no pushover. Which is more then a lot of final bosses can say. I probably could've been Ulti, Seph, and Kuja without prior sidequesting with little trouble.

In FFXII your going to either going to find Sidequest monsters early for fighting them at a low level, or have trouble with Vayne for being a low level, or powerlevel, but that would make anything easy :P
    I agree with Boko here, I felt Vayne was a step in the right direction. At least he could take a few rounds against your party even if you have Zodiac Spear and the whole party was lv.99. He certainly couldn't be wiped out in one round like the Final Aeon, Sephiroth, or even Kefka. You don't even need max stats or levels to accomplish this feat in those titles. A few select spells and abilities easily accomplished this in their respected games.

Granted, I'm with everyone suggesting the Star Ocean 2 approach of allowing you the option of making the final boss the hardest boss in the game. I even feel the best way to accomplish this is to make the criteria be simply killing the optional uber boss.

I don't mind the old uber bosses of old but they have gotten ridiculous as of late (XII being one of the worst offenders I might add). In the first couple of games the optional bosses were random encounters like WarMech or Iron Giant. Most of the bosses previously didn't require high level grinding just good strategy and fundamentals.

I think it went down the wrong path once the games started creating special items and abilities specifically for killing the uber monsters. KotR, Invincibility items, Legendary weapons that break damage limits... Whatever happened to working with what you had? I don't mind the tradition of uber bosses but I can't be bothered anymore to battle them. I would rather have the game be challenging overall than have it be a massive cakewalk except for one optional asshole created specifically to give me something I felt should be in the rest of the game. :rolleyes2

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BG-57 View Post
    My guess if the final boss was harder than optional superbosses, a lot of casual players would get frustrated and quit playing the game. The optional bosses are there mainly for the more dedicated players who want not just to beat the game but want more of a challenge.
    This. I plan to complete all of the side quests eventually, but if Vayne had been as difficult as Yiazmat, I'd have been rather annoyed.