Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Boss. What is that?

Final Boss. What is that?

i don't understand why always the final boss isn't the strongest enemy you can find in the game. i prefer Vayne had 50 millions HP than just go to him and defeat him 10 minutes later. why not Yiazmat be the Final Boss. he comes, eats Vayne, and then you fight him. "final boss" starts to lose its meaning. the same happened with ffX with braska's final aeon and Yu Yevon with 99999 hp in total. this is not even fair. just like stealing from a kid. Sin and the dark aeons was much more harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Elias_the_Belias View Post
    i don't understand why always the final boss isn't the strongest enemy you can find in the game. i prefer Vayne had 50 millions HP than just go to him and defeat him 10 minutes later. why not Yiazmat be the Final Boss. he comes, eats Vayne, and then you fight him. "final boss" starts to lose its meaning. the same happened with ffX with braska's final aeon and Yu Yevon with 99999 hp in total. this is not even fair. just like stealing from a kid. Sin and the dark aeons was much more harder.
    Or FFVII and the WEAPONS, or FFX-2 and Angra Mainryu and Trema. Optional bosses that are more powerful than the last boss aren't exactly new.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I agree that it's a shame that the final bosses don't equate to even remotely hard anymore. I remember back in the day when the final bosses were the toughest of the tough and fighting them was epic. Now it's just a small fly swatting between me and a final cut scene.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Blog Entries

lets see...

FF7 weapons
    FF8 omega weapon
    FF9 ozma
    FF10 Monster arena
    FF10-2 Trema and angra manyu
    FF12 Yiazmat and omega mark 12

I think FF 10 is really the only bad one. One or two super bosses other than the final boss isn't too bad, but FF 10 is way too much.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

My guess if the final boss was harder than optional superbosses, a lot of casual players would get frustrated and quit playing the game. The optional bosses are there mainly for the more dedicated players who want not just to beat the game but want more of a challenge.

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ and for that reason I feel they should always be necessary. The first entry had Warmech, the second had many optional bosses in the final dungeon, V had omega and shinryuu, it's a tradition.

One of the main concerns I had for XII after playing the demo was that they weren't going to be able to make the boss battles as cinematic or intense as the last few games... While Vayne is almost pathetically easy compared to much of the latter hunts, I was more disappointed with it just being a few boring battles interrupted by a few interesting cut scenes. It was kinda cool how they had him change at the end though...

B = V!!!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still wish there was a way to make the final boss more epic. It shouldn't be too hard to implement a way where beating the uber bosses makes the final boss more of a challenge. SO2 did it, I don't see why anyone else hasn't thought about doing it. At least it would fix balancing issues.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I still wish there was a way to make the final boss more epic. It shouldn't be too hard to implement a way where beating the uber bosses makes the final boss more of a challenge. SO2 did it, I don't see why anyone else hasn't thought about doing it. At least it would fix balancing issues.
    Like how FF7 makes safer sephy have mre health is you have level 99 characters?

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG-57 View Post
    My guess if the final boss was harder than optional superbosses, a lot of casual players would get frustrated and quit playing the game. The optional bosses are there mainly for the more dedicated players who want not just to beat the game but want more of a challenge.
    Can't put it any better than this really.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dreamer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BG-57 View Post
    Can't put it any better than this really.
    Agreed in full. Having optional super-bosses, means you can complete the game with a reasonable challenge, getting the story to a close and seeing how it all ends. Having the optional super-bosses lets you then take the characters and their abilities closer to their limits, exploring the game further and enjoying a greater challenge while wrapping up the side-quests and sub-plots. It's kind of like adding replay value before you actually replay the game.

Really I think the optional boss challenge thing is just stupid. I don't want to have to FIND the challenge in the game, I want to just have some when I play it. It's hardly epic fighting the most powerful enemy in all of existence.....who is just a giant dragon that has nothing to do with anything and just exists for you to beat to get a stupid reward. Where as the ultimate evil that will destroy the world and that you've spent the past 40+ hours working to get to can be 3 shotted and is an utter joke. Hardly a fair trade off as I see it.
    This space intentionally left blank.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

But for a gamer who wants to complete the game without hair-pulling frustration or umpteen hours of -tastic level grinding, the final boss usually does pose a fairly healthy challenge. FFVII was the first RPG I ever played, and the final bosses were tremendously difficult the first time through. As soon as the game-makers start tweaking the difficulty to favour obsessive completion-freaks who see "all characters at level 99" as a fun challenge rather than a frightful bore, they'll start to lose a lot of less hard-core gamers who'd otherwise love the game through and through.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I found Vayne to be pretty challenging myself. Probably amongst the most challenging final bosses in the series. Perhaps I wasn't as levelled as I could've been because I decided to do the Sky Fortress Bahamut before completing all the hunts and side quests and so on. So I could've potentially had better equipment and levels but I don't think he would've been a walkover even had I done those things.

I suppose the reason why things like Yiazmat and Ozma exist is because the developers want to give the more hardcore gamers a more substantial challenge without making the main boss so difficult that your average gamer couldn't manage it. I know I'd get frustrated pretty quickly if I had to fight Ozma at the end of FFIX.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Fighting all the WEAPON in VII as the last boss, one by one o.O
    Diamond was easy, just had to keep health up. Ultimate was hard in Mideel, as chances are, you would have one severely underleveled character, but the optional ones are easy. Sapphire got owned.Now, imagine having to fight Emerald and Ruby as last bosses...that would drive me to madness.

FF always needs that "Extra challenge", to give those that are willing, something more.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Final Boss never gives me strong connotations, I get more excited and afraid of the endgame uber bosses... Guess thats how it is nowadays.
    jkhkjg