Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tired of Gaming?

Default Tired of Gaming?

Anyone else feel their love for video games has slowly decreased over the past few years? It seems that nowadays I cant seem to get really into any game I purchise. Sure, I still enjoy playing them, and I still consider gaming one of the best past times at home but it seems that the past few years, particulary this gen of gaming just arent as exciting or interesting as the PS1/DC era. It feels like the golden age has past and the only reason I still play games is because I still think of them to be as great as they were in say, 1998. In reality I dont put in as many hours into a game as I did before and I only play to complete them. I rarely go back to a game after ive beaten it. Something I did plenty of times in the past.

Ill still play games and Im still looking forward to a few but its only a matter of time till I cant be assed to play them anymore. The likelyhood is that I will probably last till this line of consoles are through and stop then. Maybe look to do something with my life, who knows.

EDIT: Oh, and im not asking for advice on the matter. Just your own opinions.
    Last edited by Dreddz; 03-24-2008 at 06:42 PM.

Blog Entries

My recommendation is to get a system you didn't have from last-gen and buy the games everybody and their Mom loves to death. :3

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

My recommendation is to play older games on the computer through the use of emulators and await the release of their sequels on the current generation consoles.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

I have found that my urge to game has gone down drastically in the past few years, more specifically, my urge to stick to a game to completion. Roughly 75% of my GC games are no where near completion. The number is better for my Wii games, where 50% aren't done.

I can understand why this is for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I've focused a lot more on my degree and thesis in the past couple of years. Secondly, there has been a drastic rise in my MMORPG playing (specifically WoW) which is sort of a parasite for game playing time, as I play hours on end playing, even though I can never really complete the game. These two things combine to take away from my console gaming times, and I find that if I've been away from a game for a long period of time, I can't get back into the storyline and game play, so I stop playing the game altogether.

The only thing I can do is putt away at the console games slowly, and hope that I can catch up on some of my older games.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

My theory is - and I hesitate to say this - that you games may simply not be holding as much appeal for you because you've grown out of them. I don't mean to say that you've grown "too old" for them, I am strongly against the school of thought that believes games are soley for the young and furthermore I have no idea how old you are, but perhaps your personality has moved in a different direction as you've matured and different sorts of hobbies may now appeal to you in lieu of gaming.

Of course, that could be absolute bollocks in which case I'd just agree with the above posters.
    Last edited by scrumpleberry; 03-24-2008 at 07:01 PM.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Most of the people in my guild on WoW are in their 30's, so I don't know how much water that theory holds. I think it might just be a change in priorities. Maybe you've had enough of gaming and want to do something else - find a partner, enhance your career, climb a mountain, visit the Canary Islands, whatever. I tend to find I lose interest in games if I have others things I want to do.

Im also pointing to the games themselves. Everything we play today has already been made in some other form. Games just havent seemed to have evolved after the PS2. Take for instance DMC4. I enjoyed the game but grew tired of it near the end. While the first title blew me away and I went on to beat it three times.

yes, my enjoyment of games has declined. I'm not sure why, but it has.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

I had a year or so in about 2005 where I could not be arsed with console games at all but I've gotten back into it these days. Mass Effect for one is one game that I got totally into.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Im also pointing to the games themselves. Everything we play today has already been made in some other form. Games just havent seemed to have evolved after the PS2. Take for instance DMC4. I enjoyed the game but grew tired of it near the end. While the first title blew me away and I went on to beat it three times.
    Do you think that's because the quality of the games have declined, or that familiar formulas disappoint in newer games?

For me it kinda comes in waves. I can be very much into video games/just one certain video game for like a couple of months, but then afterwards I can sometimes go for a long time without even turning on any of my video game consoles. I guess it's a matter of what mood I'm in or something.

So, to answer your question: No, my general love for video games hasn't really decreased, but my mood sometimes make me not want to play for a while.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

That has been like that for me a while back though not so much now. Normally when I get new games, I'd be so absorbed into them that I would play them for hours non-stop, then suddenly I was no longer getting into them, I'd just get bored with them. This happened sometime in the middle of playing Persona 3 (which is a lovely game but I haven't gotten past the end of August due to lack of interest). Part of this is due to the fact that between work and school, I do not always have the time to play as much. As well as the fact that the TV my PS2 and Wii are hooked up to are in the living room which is a haunt of my roommate though I have been told that any time I want the TV just ask since she has one in her room (but I just do not have the heart to). Since then most games I have I haven't finished (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Super Mario Galaxy, God of War and Rogue Galaxy). Some of the games I find fun but I just invariably get bored of them. I have to admit that lately I have been playing quite a bit of Twilight Princess, Kingdom Heats II and a lot of FFXII, so I think it is changing. Maybe I will play so Ocarina of Time today on Virtual Console since I have the day off... :/

Let me put it this way

I greatly enjoy a game at first, but my enjoyment of the games decreases a lot faster than it use to. Honest to god, I'm getting tired of Brawl even.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Oh yes, we were supposed to refer to ourselves, weren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    For me it kinda comes in waves. I can be very much into video games/just one certain video game for like a couple of months, but then afterwards I can sometimes go for a long time without even turning on any of my video game consoles. I guess it's a matter of what mood I'm in or something.

So, to answer your question: No, my general love for video games haven't really decreased, but my mood sometimes make me not want to play for a while.
    ^ yyyup.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Do you think that's because the quality of the games have declined, or that familiar formulas disappoint in newer games?
    I think it's because it's simply not surprising or original anymore. You've seen familiar elements so much before that it becomes predictable and boring, even though you might have thought it was absolutely amazing had it been the first game you had ever played.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?