Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reality TV.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Top Chef!

I <3 Top Chef so much. I think I'd go all fangirl if I ever met some of the contestants. And I'd be a puddle of mush if I ever met some of the judges for the show. Anthony Bourdain, Eric Ripert? Insane!

Project Runway is also fantastic.

And right now I'm digging America's Best Dance Crew and I can't wait for So You Think You Can Dance to start up again.

I'm a really big fan of reality TV shows that showcase some really amazing talent. It's inspiring and entertaining at the same time.

America's Next Top Model is my "love to hate" reality tv show. It's entertaining but there's almost zero talent there. I've got to assume that it's getting really hard for the producers to get any decent photographers on the show cause the whole production is just so embarrassing. "Hey, let's dress the girls up in RAW MEAT and make a photoshoot out of it! Yeah!" Ugh, insipid, gross, and totally not inspiring.

As for me I think Project Runway would have to be my favourite. It's entertaining, it's a competition, the contestants actually make something and it's a creative process.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    America's Next Top Model is my "love to hate" reality tv show. It's entertaining but there's almost zero talent there. I've got to assume that it's getting really hard for the producers to get any decent photographers on the show cause the whole production is just so embarrassing. "Hey, let's dress the girls up in RAW MEAT and make a photoshoot out of it! Yeah!" Ugh, insipid, gross, and totally not inspiring.
    If you like the modelling thing "Make Me a Supermodel" is way better than "Top Model" and there are both guys and girls competing for the price. As I see it "Top Model" is all about making Tyra Banks look good and doesn't really have that much to do with the actual fashion industry.

Top Chef easily. The Ultimate Fighter I tune into sometimes since I love MMA.

Though I've also found myself drawn to dancing shows. Not that "with the Stars" crap, but watching amateurs on that Dance Crew show and SYTYCD every now and then is fun.

Of the "big time" reality shows, I think I like The Amazing Race the best.
    What I've been listening to:

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    If you like the modelling thing "Make Me a Supermodel" is way better than "Top Model" and there are both guys and girls competing for the price. As I see it "Top Model" is all about making Tyra Banks look good and doesn't really have that much to do with the actual fashion industry.
    I've watched Make Me a Supermodel. It's a snoozefest. Soooo boring. And from the looks of it, I highly doubt that any one of those contestants would ever become a supermodel. The spinoffs of America's Next Top Model, like Australia's Next Top Model and Germany's Next Top Model HAVE been successful in launching respectable careers. The winner of AusNTM last season has gone on to walk at New York, Paris, Milan fashion weeks for designers like Lanvin and Louie Vuitton and Alexander McQueen. Russia's Next Top Model winner, Ksenia, has gone on to walk for Versace, Gucci, and Armani. It's insane how successful these girls have become while all of ANTM winners have been complete flops. I don't think I single ANTM girl will ever make it to NY Fashion week's runway, let alone Paris or Milan. I expect the same kind of failure for Make Me a Supermodel hamsters as well.

I can't believe I forgot to mention this in my last post but I LOOOOOOVE Jon and Kate Plus 8. Like, head over heels in love with the show. The kids make my ovaries go nuts. After watching the show, all I wanna do is start popping out babies.

Thou shall not speak... Randgris's Avatar

• America's Next Top Model*
    • Project Runway*
    • Pinoy Big Brother (any edition)
    • Amazing Race
    • The Swan
    • American Idol*

*Reality Show?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I like that Survivor contestants are becoming more and more, well..tolerable. I still hate that Rob Mariano was on SIX reality shows! Six! And he hasn't won anything in his life!

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the best reality show is out your window.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

IRON CHEF!

This one Reine showed me... oh gosh it sounded epic, like... seriously, big manly men on tiny little trikes... racing + epic music = lol.

So you think you can dance

edit: I forget the name! but the one where the kids have to live for 40 days out in the western~
    Last edited by Markus. D; 03-28-2008 at 06:17 AM.

Blog Entries

FLAVA FLAAAAAV

and liz and I used to watch the Real world/road rules gauntlet

There is nothing I hate more than reality TV. Well there probably is, but you get the point. Reality TV sucks.

Oh my God, how could I forget Top Chef! Easily the best food show ever! Colicchio is kind of a jerk, but I love him!

I'm also fond of ANTM and Make Me a Supermodel. Both entertaining, but like others said, ANTM is really all about Tyra looking good and generous, while Make Me a Supermodel actually looks promising!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bakamut View Post
    There is nothing I hate more than reality TV. Well there probably is, but you get the point. Reality TV sucks.

I love Reality TV, I actually met I guy who met Teri and Ian from The Amazing Race 3/All-Stars.

Actually I just remembered one reality TV show that I do like. IRON CHEF!!! That show rules

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Does The Apprentice count? That was a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine during the last series. Not quite sure what I made of the first episode of the latest one though.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Reality television (and more specifically, Survivor) is directly responsible for the fact there is nothing good on TV anymore. And even when something good shows upon TV, it doesn't last. This is because the ratings all go to the crap reality shows. Sure there were reality shows before Survivor, but Survivor was the one that shows the networks, "Hey, we can spend pennies on a show that's not even that well done and the idiots will watch it anyway. We don't need to spend a lot of money making a quality show that might fail when we can spend a fraction making a skullzy show that won't fail." So, they came up with reality show after reality show by asking random homeless people on the street for their reality show ideas and making them into crap television. I wish I could go back in time and kill the creator of Survivor before it gets created. There would be plenty of stuff on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Drawn Together
    The downside to that is that this brilliant and hilarious show would never exist because the genre of which it makes fun would not exist. But if that's the price to pay to get quality shows on television and get reality shows off, then so be it.