Thread: Hero.

Default Hero.

The song "Hero" by Nickelback has a very powerful beat but what was Kroeger thinking when he wrote the lyrics. What does the song mean? It sounds like they don't think a hero will save us and that love leads to ruin yet they say they feel only the love of a hero will do. What is going on in the lyrics? I'll put my spin on it: in a world jaded by violence and with no end in sight the idea of a hero is not believed and yet there is hope that one will come to save this world and only then will this world become better.
    Discuss.

This is not about NIckelback, the singers or the quality of the two. This is about the lyrics and what they mean.

And here are the lyrics:

"Hero" by Nickelback
    I am so high. I can hear heaven.
    Oh but heaven, no heaven dont hear me.

And they say that a hero can save us.
    Im not gonna stand here and wait.
    I'll hold onto the wings of the eagles.
    Watch as we all fly away.

Someone told me love will ALL save us.
    But how can that be, look what love gave us.
    A world full of killing, and blood-spilling
    That world never came.

Now that the world isnt ending, its love that Im sending to you.
    It isnt the love of a hero, and thats why I fear it wont do.

And they're watching us
    (Watching Us)
    And they're watching us
    (Watching Us)
    As we all fly away.
    Last edited by MKusanagi; 03-25-2008 at 04:51 PM.
    " The secret is to just keep moving."- Franka Potente, actress
    " All the world is a stage." - Jacques, As You Like It by Shakespeare

You learn things about who you feel you should be but then you see these things are not you at all.

To me, it sounds like they're trying to make my ears bleed. Nickelback are a terrible band in my eyes or not terrible, just generic.

This thread is about the lyrics and not the band. Regardless of opinion on the song or band I'd love to hear everyone's take on the lyrics.

You learn things about who you feel you should be but then you see these things are not you at all.

C'mon C'mon

Inferiority complex imho.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's about SPIDERMAN. Spiderman don't need lyrics that make sense. He's Spiderman.

Signature by rubah. I think.

It's not by the whole of Nickleback, just Chad Kroeger and some other people who probably wouldn't have sounded nearly as god awful if Chad Kroeger wasn't involved.

Nickelback sucks, by the way.

I guess no one read my post. Then I'll make it less subtle.

Nickelback aren't too bad really. They're kind of catchy but its music I've heard time and time before.

Blog Entries

The lyrics suck.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Not a fan of Nickelback to be honest. I think I thought one or two of their songs were alright the first time I heard them but that's about it. Certainly not something I'd listen to unless it was on the radio or something.

Edit: Bah, curse either EoFF for having a swear filter or the website I wanted to link to have a swear word in its name for preventing me from linking to that 'Nickelback Sucks' thing.

Edit again: Here we go, found an older posting of it. To listen to the file you'll have to right-click save the link.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Oh but heaven, no heaven dont hear me.

Hero's 'fly' and urhm... they could also mean that he's held up high on a pedastool and viewed as a savior. He's held up so high by the expectations of the citizens around him that he can hear heaven. The line, "Heaven don't hear me," I always thought of as there's no mercy for the hero despite his unselfish deeds.

Pretty easy to understand. People calling out for help - going to help then - etc.

Someone told me love will ALL save us.
    But how can that be, look what love gave us.
    A world full of killing, and blood-spilling
    That world never came.

The world isn't going to be a beautiful place just by sitting back and hoping the ideals of love will save you against bad stuff. Someone has to dirty their hands to keep the world safe. Its this hero's job to do what so many have faith in love to do.

Now that the world isnt ending, its love that Im sending to you.
    It isnt the love of a hero, and thats why I fear it wont do.

This really connects to the movie as Mary Jane swoons over Spiderman far more than she did for Peter Parker. So the world is saved and everything is good and happy. Peter wants to love Mary Jane but its his love and not Spiderman's affection so he lacks confidence in her acceptance. His love can't compare to his alter ego that's a savior to many.

That's what I got out of the song. I find the lyrics to be beautiful and the song extremely moving. Those are just my thoughts on it though.
    Do you Wanna Build a Snowman?

-= It doesn't have to be a snowman... =-

I actually really agree with that. In the instance when he sings, " and they say that a hero can save us, I'm not gonna stand here and wait" at first that sounded like he believed heroes could not exist but if you think like the person singing or the lyrics being sung come from the perspective OF the hero the meaning changes entirely. I agree.

Blog Entries

Chad Kroeger thinks he is a hero. Of course he believes in heroes.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

Its about the show "heroes".