Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Cameras

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Digital Cameras

Simple topic: digital cameras. Do you have one? Do you like it? What do you like best about it?

Basically, I'm getting a digital camera for my birthday and am trying to decide which one to tell my mommy to get me.

Priorities:
    1) Decent optical zoom
    2) Fast shutter
    3) Small
    4) Less than $500

Go!

ETA: Now I'm thinking between the Canon PowerShot SD850 IS, the Canon PowerShot SD870 IS, and the Canon Powershot SD1100. SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I WANT!

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0092661&catid=

Oh...nevermind..I like this camera though.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Alas, I don't have one, but the first dozen or so displayed here look like they fit your criteria pretty well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I'm looking at those same ones on dpreview.com. NewEgg is a source I hadn't thought of though--thanks.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Plum View Post
    Simple topic: digital cameras. Do you have one? Do you like it? What do you like best about it?

Basically, I'm getting a digital camera for my birthday and am trying to decide which one to tell my mommy to get me.

Priorities:
    1) Decent optical zoom
    2) Fast shutter
    3) Small
    4) Less than $500

Go!
    A Sony Cybershot is probably the best one to get. The one I got when I was 15 (about 3 years ago then, and it's still working, though it's on it's last legs even after being dropped and mutilated often), and it's very easy to use, small, and light. And $200 dollars! It'd be very good for a beginner!

My Dad got a digital camera from his company for working there for 20 years! He's been taking pictures like nuts.

I have the camera I mentioned before, and my $800 dollar nice Canon Rebel XTi DSLR, to take my nice artistic photographs.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've had several in my tenure;

1) I don't know what on earth it was. I think it was a nikon. I got it for christmas in 2001. It's pretty crappy. I found it recently and marvelled how I could ever stand to take pictures with it for 4 years.

2) It's actually my mother's but I used it far more and beyond what she ever did. It's a minolta d-image Z and pretty amazing for a beginner to manual camera settings. i used it until I went to college and mom wouldn't let me take it with me. For some reason my old digital one wasn't good enough for her, although she did try to sneak it in when she visited my sister in prison because it was smaller.

3) I bought a d-SRL when I started college mainly because I had always wanted one. A pretty frivolous purchase, but I probably won't need another one ever (just new lenses!). I recently discovered how to use the manual focus (I am ashamed about this enough as it is, trust me) so I'm even more pleased with it, although the automatic focus is amazing in itself. Oh yeah it's a Nikon D-40.

4) The d-SRL is huge, so I got a small digital camera that I could feasibly take around places. It's not hugely small, but it's smaller than the d-image. It's a samsung S730 I think (I'd have to check, it' sone of their S ones). It was a birthday present actually And it's one I'd recommend to you shlup-kun.

It ran me about $120, but I saw they had them at radioshack for about $80 atm. It's small, you can manually adjust the shutter rate, it'll capture voice for you as well (can't vouch for the quality as of yet), is way less than $500, and if the 3x optical zoom isn't enough, they make ones with 5x for $130.

(I don't even know what a good optical zoom is. It's not something I look for in a camera xD)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

PowerShot is a good idea. I'm looking at PowerShots now. My current camera is a PowerShot. I'm all conflicted about giving up some awesomeness when getting a smaller one, but I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too.

You like Samsung, rubah? I haven't heard much about Samsung cameras.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Samsung is a good brand. I can't speak for their cameras, but they make great HDTVs, both in terms of quality and price point.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldnt know, I never had a camera.

I used to sell them though, samsung makes good ones around that price, but some of the more expensive canons are good too.

just make sure never to buy a camera where the box says digital zoom, no matter if its in combination with optical.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

you don't have to use digital zoom xD when the lens stops moving outwards, you just backtrack and don't use it!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

They, like, all have digital in addition to optical. You just don't use the digital. Because digital zoom is evil.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We should destroy digital zoom.. FOREVER!! *sounds brave and noble*

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I've narrowed it down to these three. I'm worried that the shutter speed might not be decent, because I don't know what a decent shutter speed is, but they have image stabilization so that should help, right?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

shutter speeds;

If you're taking a picture of the sun, then you might want a shutter speed of 1/800s. Otherwise, 1/500 should be amazing for fast shots, and 1/250 good for anything else in daylight.

But remember you need a lot of light to make up for the fast exposure, otherwise your stuff will be crazy dark (you can make up for this a little bit by increasing the ISO but you don't want to do that too much because then you get yucky grain in your pictures)

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have the Canon SD800 IS and I looooooove it. It's a 28mm wide angle lens and believe me, once you go wide angle, you won't ever want to go back. I think the 870 you're looking at is the upgrade to the 800 one that I have.

It's seriously a great camera. The wide angle thing is just really sweet, but more than that the colors that come out of the camera are really extraordinary. I did comparison test shots with p&s cameras that were twice as expensive and the SD800 consistently came out with cleaner, crisper, and more colorful shots. And it's pretty fast. And it's cute and small. And the video capabilities are really good as well.

All the photos I posted of my Mexico trip on my LJ were taken with the SD800 IS.

Pretty, no?

If you're looking at the upgraded version, I'd definitely go with that.