Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Eyes on Plays Final Fantasy II!

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I'm going for 100% in all three collections. I'll post screenshots later, but for now I just got the airship. I'm leveling up Ultima and Holy before moving on.

Eight new pages of goodness right here.

Now featuring: tapeworms, dominatrixes, Richard Simmons, and much, much more! How did this NOT get an ESRB rating of "M" ? XD

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enkida View Post

Now featuring: tapeworms, dominatrixes, Richard Simmons, and much, much more! How did this NOT get an ESRB rating of "M" ? XD
    Enkida, your playthrough is easily the best one here. Very much amusement is the name of the game when I'm reading your entries. Great stuff.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Maxx Power View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkida View Post

Enkida, your playthrough is easily the best one here. Very much amusement is the name of the game when I'm reading your entries. Great stuff.
    Couldn't agree more.

Updatage!

After getting the Bell it was time to grind Guy so I didn't end up in the same situation as I did before with the post-Ice Cave where I got back to town by the seat of my pants. This is part way through my levelling session which resulted in about 1200 HP, 270 MP, Level 7 Fire and Level 8 Cure. After that it was time to move on.

...ah damn it! As I'm sure many of you have been discovering temporary party member's stats are grossly below much of your own party. In this sense, Gordon had even more grinding to do.

Chocobo! I don't know if anyone's posted any pics of them, or indeed even found where the forest is. It's directly south of Kashoun Castle, but there's no visual marker in the NES version meaning I had to wander around the forest until I bumped into it. These little fellahs are super useful for getting around the map quickly early on in the game without having to deal with loads of random encounters.

Now I am a great magician, your clothes are red!

Pft, women ay? You let their fiancee die horrifically in a coup and they never let you forget it.

Now here's me setting fire to a tortoise. I'm actually making heavy use of the Magic cane as an item since it's basically a free Bolt 5. I use Fire on powerful single enemies or anything resistant to Lightning.

Also there are giant rats.

And here's the little bleeder of contention, R. Soul. Hacking the game files reveals it's completely immune to all spells, so I forced to break the "no physical attacks" rule for this fight. I levelled up my Unarmed skill to Level 3 beforehand since I would have done single digit/zero damage with anything less, plus it meant I could still follow the "No Equipment" rule as well while I was at it. For the record I actually tend to go completely naked since I need as much Evasion as possible and armour reduces the potency of your spells, so the starting equipment is completely useless for my purposes.

It's Egil, Egil I tell you! I've always been caught out by this torch by heading back to town without remembering to re-enter the fort and get the flame itself.

It appears Cid is being chased by a giant flying waffle-iron. Surely this deserves investigating.

Behold, the interior of the mighty Warship! It's rather art-deco if you ask me. By the way all those soldiers, if you talk to them they kick your ass. Hard. Even if you kill them they still stick around, so basically they're walking S&M NPC's for your self-destructive pleasure.

Look, pet imperials!

The Gigas in one of the chests is one ugly mofo. I mean look at the guy. Looks like Sloth from The Goonies had sex with the Jolly Green Giant. Thankfully he succumbs to being set on fire quite nicely.

Well I just blew up your Dreadnaught, so yeah, I think I've won pal.

Pixelated!

So yeah, I've finally made some serious progress for once, but the hardest parts of the game are still to come. Leila is going to need yet more uber-levelling to get herself up to speed, which will be the next step on the road. Really this challenge is less challenging and more long-winded. I wouldn't have been able to do this in reasonable time were it not for the frame-skipping available to me. It doesn't help the NES version is also a lot harder in general, and everything takes an age to level-up. But still I'm determined to get there. My claim to #1 FF2 fan will be kept by golly!
    Last edited by Captain Maxx Power; 04-16-2008 at 04:35 PM.

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I did find the Chocobo forest, but there's a little spot without trees in the PSP version.

not you naan bread Sergeant Hartman's Avatar

I have now got too many spells. Leveling them is going to take years. What does Aura do?

Taking back Fynn was a joke.

This guy spent the battle casting haste on himself and only attacked me once, I was looking forward to some huge fight.

The basement was annoying, Jude got petrified, he's the only one with Esuna and I didn't have any gold needles. Luckily I was near the end when this happened.

Yes, I got myself a mask, epic.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think aura imbues you with an elemental attack, but that might be me talking out my butt.

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it makes enemies less resistent to attacks.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

According to this guide on gamefaqs:
    Aura - Adds all four elements to your physical and magical attacks. Against some enemies, it'll work great, on others you won't notice a difference.
    I can neither verify nor refute this information, though.
    Figaro Castle

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

The manual which comes with Origins says it just raises Strength.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

freaking r. soul is really hard xD Frioniel was the only one who really got any attacks over 5dmg xD Even Exit heals him, I was a little flabberghasted!

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I got as far as taking back Castle Fynn last night. Digital pics of a TV are terrible though. My magic spells aren't all that great but I haven't been having difficulties. I'm pretty much only trying to level up the Fire, Ice, Esuna and Cure.

I met up with quite a few of the Hill Gigas but they're not too much trouble with the Crescent Sword equipped.

Taking back Fynn was too easy.

Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

OK lemme try and explain Aura; There are eight elements in FF2. Four are elemental (Fire, Ice, Lightning and Poison), whilst four are a bit odd (Dimensional, Mind, Body and Instant Death). Each enemy in the game has either a weakness or resistance to each of these, or perhaps they are indifferent. What Aura does is add an elemental unit to your physical attacks. If the enemy happens to be weak to that element then they will take extra damage. If not then nothing will happen to your damage output. The level of your Aura spell affects which types will be added. I don't know the exact order, but I do know once you reach Level 8 it will add all types of elemental attack. By the by, Barrier follows the same principal except it increases your defense, and Dispel again except it lowers the defense of the enemy to an element. I'm not sure what Wall does however...

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Eyes On Final Fantasy
    Wall 8000 Blocks magic Wall8 all allies
    sounds like old-fashioned reflect.