Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Thread: Eyes on Plays Final Fantasy II!

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean the note button that lets you switch off the sound and the screen button that lets you change luminosity and switch off the screen.
    Did you make sure you installed the CFE properly? I had to get some help at first. If it works, the animation should hold still and show inverted colors for about a second.

not you naan bread Sergeant Hartman's Avatar

Giant Beaver for the win!

Just finished Castle Kas'ion, it was quite hard. When you guys come to it, avoid the chest in the middle of the room a few floors up.

Here's my team now:

Gorden is ok, has low HP but his other stats are relatively high.

I barely made it out of that castle alive, the boss was solid, quickly went to Bafsk to rest and get myself together.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

By the chest hair of Thor this is frustrating.

I had to do the same bit three times over because of glitches. The first time my party was messed up so the first battle crashed after Minwu left. The second was due to a mess up when I tried to reload the ROM after I realised I wasn't able to backtrack in time and my ROM save overwrote itself with an earlier version, and the third for the same reason as the first.

OK two things; firstly I will be using frameskipping to maintain my sanity. Unlike a standard game of FF2 I'm going to be doing a LOT of grinding out of necessity, and the standard speed of the game means it can take me an age to get it done. So to make sure I finish by the end of the month I'm going to be using frameskip primarily to zoom past long-winded fights. Secondly in regards to the equipment challenge again; can party members that join you use the equipment they have when they join or do they have to de-equip them and use the starter town stuff?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Princes grow like mushrooms these days.

Who in the world would inscribe a ring with that?!

Let me introduce to you the latest addition to my party: Lawrence of Arabia!

Encouragement abounds.

Sorry beautiful, I'm off to save the world, even though I still don't know. But according to JRPG rules, the main party always saves the world in the end... right?

Wohoooo! I'm in winter wonderland!

Wanna bet? è__é

Did some more training in the usual spot, had to get my spells and hp up:

Don't know where to go either, Hilda's been captured or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Hartman View Post
    Don't know where to go either, Hilda's been captured or something.
    In the northern part of the map there should be a long straight of line that loops across the edge and connected the main land mass in a loop. Along that long narrow part you should find the Dreadnaught. Use the Pass item on the guy at the door and go from there.

Oh right, thanks.

I heard there was an easy way and a hard way. For the easy one I need to go back to Castle Kas'ion and go south. Forget the hard way, I think I've done enough training.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pff. I quickly grew dissatisfied with my savefile and I restarted the game. Meantime, can somebody expert give me some spoiler-free tips? This is my first time through the game.
    I found out that I didn't name my characters mistakenly: in the originally dubbed Italian version, Han was really Ian and Leia was called Leila. But this time I gave them the original names, for the joy of all you Star Wars otaku. :P

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Maxx Power View Post
    Secondly in regards to the equipment challenge again; can party members that join you use the equipment they have when they join or do they have to de-equip them and use the starter town stuff?
    It's their standard equipment so they can use it

Quote Originally Posted by KoShiatar View Post
    Pff. I quickly grew dissatisfied with my savefile and I restarted the game. Meantime, can somebody expert give me some spoiler-free tips?
    Absolutely.

- In most cases, weapons > magic. They don't cost MP, can usually kill any monster with one hit provided you have the latest weapon, and there's very few enemies that have very high defense
    - If you don't want to fuss with offensive magic for a few select fights then have a few magic spell tomes in your inventory. Using them as items will cast a high-level variety of that spell
    - When you find the Curse sword, KEEP IT! Don't sell it, even though it's hit^ sucks. It's uber-useful in Boss battles (see below)
    - Give EVERYONE in your party Cure, Life and Teleport. Cure should be levelled up where possible, Life and Teleport don't level them only use them as you need them
    - Keep an eye on your evasion. For front-line characters evasion > defense for the most part. You can equip things like the Cuirass-type armours, Thief Gloves, Black Garb etc to give yourself decent defense whilst retaining your evasion stat
    - If you find a dungeon is too hard and you're low on HP/MP, Teleport out, Save, go to the nearest town, rest and try again. Most dungeons in FF2, due to the levelling system, can be attempted over and over until you managed to get through to the end
    - If you need to powerlevel I suggest the following; For MP early on, just keep casting in a battle until all your MP is used up. Preferrably you'll want to cast a defensive spell so the enemy doesn't die. For HP/MP later in the game you can use the Swap/Change magic in the dungeons in Bafsk, which is the easiest dungeon to get to for low-level enemies which you can then "swap" with to get gains in both HP and MP. To level weapon skills, have someone with the Blink spell, higher levels are better. Get into a battle with something like a Flan (high defense, you can find Black variants around Mystidia), and cast Blink on them a few times. You can then get your characters to swing at them perpetually. Do so until you feel you've done enough. Remember you can only gain one level per battle, so don't go overboard thinking you can get 16 levels in one sitting. You can do the same thing with offensive magic spells by using the Shell magic repeatedly to raise the Magic Defense of a target.
    - For the most part attempting to level-up the fourth member of your party is pointless. Minwu is nearly always stronger than your party, Josef is about even, and after that all of the temporary members are generally weak. Richard is probably the one most worth levelling since one of the dungeons you have to do with him is very difficult, and of course Leonheart since he's with you for the hardest dungeon in possibly all of FF2.
    - If you're after all-out offense in boss battles, have someone cast Haste and then stack Berserk as much as possible. Whoever has the highest sword skill equip the Curse sword and have them attack until Curse is inflicted. Then switch it out for another weapon. The stacking of Berserk along with Curse will allow you to do massive amounts of damage to the point of being overkill.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Hartman, for the love of God, switch your television display ratio to 4:3. You're killing me, man.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks for all the good advice. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    Hartman, for the love of God, switch your television display ratio to 4:3. You're killing me, man.
    I like it on widescreen though

Maybe I'll just switch it to 4:3 when taking screenshots then, cause I'm that nice

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

yay, finally finished - healing staff on Maria and ribbons on the rest made the last battle disappointingly easy though Also, equipping 2 weapons per character seemed to make things go faster for me, so that's what I did most of the game (healing staff being the obvious exception)

Anyway, that's another FF I can add to my list of completed ones now

And yeah, I made heavy use of turbo in battles, I've got other games and anime to move on to Dunno if I'll do SoR yet or leave it for a bit later
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You're already done, crono?! I didn't really even start yet because of the CK competition. That seems to be taking up all of my time. But I do intend to complete this.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles