Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you rent first and buy later or buy right away

Default Do you rent first and buy later or buy right away

How many of you rent games first and then buy them later if you like them. Or do you pretty much just buy things right away based upon what you have heard about the game.

Pretty much the only games I will buy right away are the big name titles. Like Madden, college football game, or a popular rpg or adventure game line.

I usually just buy them. I don't like the idea of paying for something for a week or a few days and then paying full price to keep it. :P

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I used to rent like a mothersmurfer, but these days I just buy. Though with 360 and PC games I sometimes get demos.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I stopped renting games once I came to the realization of how stupidly expensive it is for such a short time. I'd much rather just wait and buy it used for the same price as a rental, unless it's a game I know I'll really really enjoy.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You can't rent many games here as far as I'm aware... I always buy them. I read up on a game quite a lot so I usually know if I want it, and I tend to hoard games anyway xD
    rawr

It's been years since I last rented a game. I don't even know any place that does that anymore, actually. When buying a game I often read a lot about it (if it's a new series, or just a game that looks interesting) e.g. the previews, reviews and stuff like that. If it's a game from a series that I really like e.g. Final Fantasy or Tekken I just buy the game because I know I'll like it.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I've rarely rented games, and that must have been many moons ago. Of course, there's not many games I'm willing to go out and buy anyways; limited appeal, and all. Mostly stemming from a general lack of funds.

The mom and pop video shop where I used to live would rent them, and if you chose to buy, they'd knock the price of the rental off the purchase price.

<3

Quote Originally Posted by Araciel View Post
    The mom and pop video shop where I used to live would rent them, and if you chose to buy, they'd knock the price of the rental off the purchase price.

<3
    ^^ I can get behind this. That's actually a really good idea for all parties involved. Customers get to try before they buy and they most likely get more business for it. I know I'd buy games there exclusively. :P

We sure as heck did! Until we moved, which was in 1996. And they since closed up shop anyway.

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope, I don't rent games, but I make sure I buy something good before I spend my money. I tend to trust more opinions from people I know like pretty much the same stuff as me than reviews, anyway.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I use to rent, but the place I rented from went out of business. Now I just buy.

I only rent a game if I know I'm gonna beat it within 5 days and I dont want to own, as FF7 CC I knew id beat it quick but its something I'd want to own.

but the last game I rented I still have, and I have a 100 some dollar fine there so I wont be renting anymore

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I'll only hire games I KNOW I won't play for to long... or will beat within that time ^^

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    It's been years since I last rented a game.
    Same, I used to do it every now and then, for novelty games or to try something out.

Nowadays, brand recognition, if it interests me enough, is alone enough to warrant a purchase. I might try something new if I've seen it at a friend's house, or if it interests me I'll check out reviews.

Now having a PS3, especially since the games are so expensive, this gamefly thing interests me, and I might look into it, especially with the no late fee and updatable list thing they got. 20+ bucks a month is alot still, $240+ a year i guess... yeah i don't know...