Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need help :)

I generally find incredibly traditional RPGs to be immensely boring. It should come as a great compliment, then, that I absolutely adore the two Lunar games. The best versions of them (in my opinion) can be found for the PSOne (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete).

They don't have random battles, but they also don't have any mechanic that requires you to "attack" them to initiate a battle. Just come into contact with them as you wish, and battle begins. The game mechanics beyond that are absolutely 100% traditional, so I very strongly believe that you will enjoy it. The story and characters of both games are beautiful and timeless. The games are quite old (they originally released for the Sega CD in 1992 and 1994 respectively), but they still hold the same magic for me now that they always have. Everything is silky smooth, the storytelling wonderful... the only thing that the PS1 "enhanced remakes" really changed (fundamentally) was beefing up certain play mechanics and visual touches, and then redoing all of the games' many animated cutscenes (which are gorgeous).

Beyond the Lunar games, I really love Suikoden II (again for PS1). That game is incredible, and if you like a more traditional vibe, it's difficult to find a better RPG. The storytelling is immaculate (and very adult) and the combat is traditional turn-based, random battle fare, but is very polished and houses a few nice touches (such as the "Escape" command switching to "Let go"; meaning, instead of having to fight enemies that are much weaker than you, you can simply release them! XD). The series as a whole is reccomended, but Suikoden II is easily its pinnacle. That game is pretty much perfect, in my opinion.

Essentially, when it comes to a solid amount of quality traditional RPGs, the SNES and PS1 are absolutely the way to go!
    Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Gonna Overdrive your ass! Siegfried's Avatar

Xenogears...How could we forget Xenogears?
    Beware of my look a like!