Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a good bit of Freeware!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu View Post
    Nexuiz - Open source FPS.
    7-Zip Archive Manager - Open source file archiver, a fantastic alternative to Winrar and Winzip. Mostly because it gives you the features that those two require you to pay to use, on top of supporting a better archive format.
    Zip Genius. While not open source, it is amazing.

Firefox - web-browser from Mozilla with a huge selection of useful add-ons for it. (I know that this one is obvious, but somebody might not have known about it.)
    Sunbird - not-yet-so-ready calendar and time manager from Mozilla. Has a great potential.

OOC:Could we actually get this thread sticky?

Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post
    I think it would have a better chance if the first post contained an updated list of the technology with links and a detailed description for each, then yeah. I would definitely like to see something like this stickied.

Oh, PSXE

Aslo, osalt.com is a great site for finding opensource alternatives. Put in like Microsoft Money in there search field, and you willget GNUcash and other Open Sourced Alternatives.
    Last edited by bipper; 06-26-2007 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bipper View Post
    I think it would have a better chance if the first post contained an updated list of the technology with links and a detailed description for each, then yeah. I would definitely like to see something like this stickied.

Oh, PSXE

Aslo, osalt.com is a great site for finding opensource alternatives. Put in like Microsoft Money in there search field, and you willget GNUcash and other Open Sourced Alternatives.
    Good thinking, bipper.

good list: you for got ZipGenius though. A compression archiver that kills small kittens.

Also, perhaps add slackware (slackware.com) as another linux distribution that focuses on stability, ease of use, and customization.

Gentoo as one that aims to by completely configurable and a spawn of many a migrane.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

DivX isn't a free application. It's a format. Even more so, it's not even a free format. Xvid is free though, but I don't like it very much.(not many people use it)
    XviD can encode and decode XviD, and decode DivX. DivX can only encode and decode DivX.

Tons of anime releases use XviD.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Open Office ain't too bad. It's basically your typical office package (like Word, Excel, etc.).

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

PNG Crush is a command line utility to convert files to PNG or pngs to smaller pngs in batches

Semagic is a utility to update one's Livejournal

Bink and Smacker is a way to convert videos to different types (like mov to avi)

windirstat displays how big each of your computer's folders are.

Things I install on new computers:

Daemon Tools (or well I use to, it comes with adware and doesn't work on Vista now)
    Trillian. Hands down the best IM solution. Even if you just use 1 Instant Messenger, it'd be better to have this just because it's adless.
    AVG. Best virus detector I've ever used.
    Winamp. Self explanatory. You've all seen this old name by now.

and my all time favorite free program (besides Firefox)... Soulseek. It's a filesharing client, specifically for music. It doesn't really hold any advantage over other p2p clients, it's just most people who use it share ENTIRE albums, not singles. When you download, you can download the entire album, you right click and 'Download containing folder' and 99% of the time that person had the entire album in the folder you downloaded from. I guess I'm partial to it because it reminds me of the glory days of Napster (the original Napster).

Updated.

For future contributions please follow this scheme:

7-Zip Archive Manager - Open source file archiver, a fantastic alternative to Winrar and Winzip. Mostly because it gives you the features that those two require you to pay to use, on top of supporting a better archive format. ~~ Hsu
    Other than that, good stuff everybody. The list is looking great. (and thanks for the sticky to whoever put it up)

NB: If I miss something out, it's not a conspiracy against you, but me overlooking it or not getting what to do with it (ergo, it doesn't even fit into the "Not a bloody clue category"). Do it like bipper. Just remind me about it. And psk... don't forget to second your favourites from the existing list.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I moved avisynth to the video editing section for you, since that's what it's good for, and pretty powerful at that too Also, you might want to consider seperating CD/DVD/similar tools into another section

Also, Combined Community Codec Pack is the only audio/video playback codec pack worthwhile for Windows without all the bloat other packs (especially Kazaa) try to bundle onto your computer
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Paint.NET is a wondeful freeware graphics editor thing!xD It's like Photoshop, but not nowhere near the extravagant price, because it's free!

But yeah, it's really awesome. I make all my signatures and avatars with it now, including the one i'm using now.

Updated.

I've also decided to give a lime-green font to the programs that were seconded at least once. Considering the fact that so far only I've seconded those are the programs that you suggested and I liked as well. More seconding is still accepted.

Abandon All Hope Fatal Impurity's Avatar

Winrar must be put on there! Its a VERY easy to use, fast acrchiver with practically support for every archive type!

Another brilliant program is CCleaner which simply put will clean all the cookies and other crap off your PC plus helps with a very reliable registry cleaning function and program boot manager.

Also Silkroad Online gets an honourable mention from me as a good FREE MMORPG with pretty graphics (compared with most FREE MMO's or even WoW) a evolving economy and neat setting.

Updated! Added "Security" and "Entertainment" sections! "Fun" became "Games"!

More(/any) seconds people!(/?)

Sadly, WinRar isn't free.
    Last edited by Discord; 07-04-2007 at 04:11 PM.