Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a good bit of Freeware!

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's about the same as what you described. Drag'n'drop. mosey on to any ftp:// url you can think of and play around. It's pretty handy when you want to move files around at school etc

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    you can use Explorer as an ftp client too

I don't think it's free though.
    It is free, yes.

just type ftp://ftpaddres.domain_suffex/ and login, if it doesn't auto ask you to login right click and go 'login as...'
    FOA

It's been a while, sorry for that, but it's updated.

Loony BoB get's a special prize for seconding.

I know it's not a program, but it's an extremely useful website.

Mayang's Free Texture Library
    A huge range of high quality textures, royalty free.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Websites are fine as well.:P

UPDATED!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I found this really neat screen capture thingy!

CamStudio - Free Screen Recording Software

Haven't seen how the videos turn out yet, but everything else is pretty neat-o.
    Last edited by Jessweeee♪; 11-30-2007 at 12:38 AM.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I want to recommend this but maybe it doesn't fit a category:

Undelete Plus

It is a freeware program that scans your hard drive for recoverable data. I was able to restore a vast majority of data in my D drive that was wiped out by mistake.

I was able to use it for a client with limited success (I attribute this due to the time it took for me to acquire the software on the business network), but it was quite successful regardless.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

WHO WILL UPDATE NOW ; ;

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

OOC:I've installed Urban Terror, and by some miracle it works on my computer. However, I've got no experience with PC FPS games, so I'd like to practice if I could... apparently, I can do this by setting up a private server and fighting bots. But the only instructions on the UT website are aimed at people who already know what they're doing, which I most certainly don't. Could anyone help, with a layman-friendly guide to getting it up and running? Thanks in advance.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Cool PDF Reader:
    Cool PDF Reader to view, print, and convert PDF files. Extract PDF to TXT; Support PDF files of all versions; Work with 68+ different languages; Zoom in/out and Rotate page displays; Slide show PDF document with full screen; and more. 3 download options - 1) Standalone Package; no installation required (just unzip & run) ; 2 ) All-in-One Installer; reader and its installer are made into one EXE. 3) Standard Installer; installer with wizard to setup Cool PDF Reader.

PDF Creator:
    When you install PDFCreator, it adds a printer to your computer (or a network printer), when you print to the printer, it opens the program and converts it to a pdf file, and you can save it wherever you want. You can auto-save documents you ‘print’ by using tags such as the date, time, your name or the computer name. There are also specific options for each save format. For example, with pdf you can set image compression, dpi and security, and with the image formats you can set the number of colours and dpi. Other Features include: Add passwords to documents; Send documents by email; Merge multiple files; Install as network printer; Supports other formats as well.

yWriter:
    This program is a writer that allows you, the author, to easily create and organize various types of written forms of media. Organise your novel using a 'project', add chapters to the project, add scenes, characters, items and locations. Display the word count for every file in the project, along with a total. Tracks your progress: it saves a log file every day, showing words per file and the total. Saves automatic backups at user-specified intervals. Allows multiple scenes within chapters. Viewpoint character, goal, conflict and outcome fields for each scene. Multiple characters per scene. Storyboard view, a visual layout of your work. Re-order scenes within chapters. Drag and drop of chapters, scenes, characters, items and locations. Automatic chapter renumbering.

EDXOR:
    EDXOR is a versatile, convenient and optimal text editor and file processor that far surpasses the capabilities of other Notepad-like applications. It offers innovative clipboard handling, cryptographic options and logic text conversions, great for education, fun, or privacy. EDXOR is small, self-contained, dependency-free and very fast. It provides over 90 menu items, including many unique functions and options, for diverse applications.

This light, free application is quite useful when editing web pages and the like.

Win32Pad:

Notepad replacement, very small in size, doesn't require any extra runtime dlls, very fast and powerful. Has a ton of features like MRUs, Find/Replace, Intellimouse support, shows current location, # of lines, file offset, file size, Goto Line #, Shows Insert/Overwrite editing mode, Can change Font Color/Size/Character set/etc.

This is a more general notepad replacement, and I have found it to be incredibly useful when writing FAQS and/or Walkthroughs for various websites (mainly GameFAQS).

WordWeb:

WordWeb is an English pop-up dictionary, thesaurus and word finder, free for personal use. It includes a comprehensive English thesaurus and dictionary, and can be used to look up words from within most programs. Features of the free version include: Definitions and synonyms, Proper nouns, Related words, Pronunciations, 140,000 root words, 115,000 synonym sets. Look up words in almost any program.

I personally love this program, and find myself using it every single day.

GraphCalc:
    GraphCalc is an all-in-one solution to everything from everyday arithmetic to statistical analysis, from betas to Booleans, from cubes to calculus, from decimals to derivatives. GraphCalc combines all the features of a professional mathematics package with the simplicity of an easy to learn windows interface. It provides user-friendly help and tutorials to guide you through the easy and fun process of mastering GraphCalc.

Although I am no longer in Calculus, I still fiddle with this application from time to time, simply because it's terribly fun to graph 6 equations at once and create some interesting designs from various functions.

AllerCalc:
    This is a calculator that allows you to directly enter an expression to be evaluated. It features a rolling display storing all your recent inputs and results. More than 40 functions are supported, including algebraic, transcendental, trigonometric, hyperbolic, and financial functions. Also included is a detailed help file containing syntax, usage, and examples for all supported functions. The calculator also provides a list of common physical constants, and it performs various conversions between English and metric units. It supports more than 100 built-in functions, as well as the ability to define your own constants, conversions, functions, and calculations in any numeric base from 2 to 36, and it has the ability to store results in an unlimited number of variables.

SampleCalc:
    This tool calculates a given length in seconds of an audio sample into temp in BPM and reverse. You can also adjust Number of measures and beat resolution.
    Length can be read directly from wave files.

Also included a calculator for time/tempo stretch rate calculation if you want to adjust tempo or time to a fixed value (e.g. matching to the tempo of a sequencer song).

Length of a song can also be calculated from tempo and number of measures as well as length of single notes.
    Additionally the frequency of note lengths is calculated (e.g. for oscillator adjustment)

An integrated beat counter allows DJs to measure the tempo of a running song.

NumericalChameleon:
    The NumericalChameleon is a free, open source, platform-independent and localized software to convert units. It converts numbers with a precision of up to 1000 significant figures. It supports more than 3200 units in 82 categories, including not only all important physical units of categories like length, area, volume, electricity, magnetism, force, power, energy, pressure, mass, temperature, velocity, acceleration, radioactivity and time, but also exchange rates, timezones, spoken numbers (literally and by audio*), roman numbers, 35 radixes, bits&bytes, screen resolutions, colorcodes, unicodes, international dial codes, calendar and holiday calculations, phonetic alphabets and more. It provides a modern, dynamic and graphical user interface.

You have unlimited access on all categories, units, icons, filters and themes. You can add, modify, hide or delete them. All configuration data are stored in flat files. You can update exchange rates from several webservices.

WinRoll 2.0:
    Make a window roll into its title bar, send it to the back or make it stay on top. Minimize, maximize or close all visible windows, including minimizing to the tray area. Make a window translucent on Windows 2000 or above.

Likely has limited usage for most, but I have found it useful when I have around 15 or more windows open at once (which I strangely seem to have quite a bit).

Inno Setup:
    Inno Setup is a free installer for Windows programs that rivals and even surpasses many commercial installers in feature set and stability. Support for all 32-bit Windows versions in use today, create a single EXE to install your program for easy distribution online or on disk (disk spanning is supported), standard wizard interface, including support for the latest Windows 2000/XP wizard style. Full source code is available, features include; Creation of shortcuts anywhere, including in the Start Menu and on the desktop. Creation of registry and .INI entries. Customizable setup types, e.g. Full, Minimal, Custom. Complete uninstall capabilities. Installation of files. Silent install and uninstall.

Also, since Discord is now banned - though i have no idea as to why he is - I can volunteer to maintain this topic. If that means creating a new thread, then I can do that, or perhaps a moderator can work some forum magic, I don't know.
    Last edited by Nominus Experse; 03-18-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Since no one has mentioned the Project Touhou games, I'll suggest them now. The entire series (including the story, game programming, and music composition) was basically done by one guy. Most of the games are vertical scrolling curtain fire shooters (aka 'shmups' or 'danmaku'), and are pretty challenging, but a couple of the games are different ('The Highly Responsive to Prayers' is more of an action/puzzle game, and 'Immaterial and Missing Power' is a fighting game).

You can download the games here. I strongly suggest you pick up the old ones too, since the filesize is relatively low and the games are still pretty fun.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Could a mod update the first post because Discord is banned
    placeholder_text.jpeg

<a href="http://www.skype.com/">SKYPE</a>: Free long-distance calling via PC to other Skype users. Good video support, sound quality, ease of installation and use, and pretty much everything. The paid services aren't too bad, either, but that's not what this is about.

Sheep Friends - billy

Billy, a small and unintrusive MP3 player that is basic, but has enough features to make it not suck.