Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a good bit of Freeware!

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Nominus Experse View Post
    Also, since Discord is now banned - though i have no idea as to why he is - I can volunteer to maintain this topic. If that means creating a new thread, then I can do that, or perhaps a moderator can work some forum magic, I don't know.
    Make a new thread so we can merge them and work the magic to place your post before the old posts in the old thread

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    Since no one has mentioned the Project Touhou games, I'll suggest them now. The entire series (including the story, game programming, and music composi<b></b>tion) was basically done by one guy. Most of the games are vertical scrolling curtain fire shooters (aka 'shmups' or 'danmaku'), and are pretty challenging, but a couple of the games are different ('The Highly Responsive to Prayers' is more of an action/puzzle game, and 'Immaterial and Missing Power' is a fighting game).

You can download the games here. I strongly suggest you pick up the old ones too, since the filesize is relatively low and the games are still pretty fun.
    Seconded - Touhou is great stuff, and too addictive with the nice music and pretty but difficult bullet patterns Which reminds me to finish my new touhou-related sig at some point
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

WTF, why was my Merge thread deleted?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because void can't read xD I'll restore it and stick it and unstick this one xD

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

start editing stuff in now

Blog Entries

Wait so which thread is which?

At any rate:

The OSSwin project: Open Source for Windows!

Oh, sorry >_>

Well basically it's just a list of open source (free as in beer?) programs for Windows (I think they throw some linux in there too but I'm not sure) it's not a complete list but I've found some gems. I use linux now, but I swear there are some good ones!
    Last edited by snacks; 04-04-2008 at 02:53 AM. Reason: LINKAFICATION!
    now safe beneath their wisdom, and their feet;
    here i will teach you truly how, to sleep.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Nommy, I compiled all of the leftover links together for you so all you have to do is copy/paste it from the attachment into the first post. Sorry, it's in MS Word, it wouldn't save on Notepad for some reason.

What? I have too much time on my hands.

Oh, and Skt, you need to provide information about your link.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Thanks Momiji - you've saved me a very large portion of time.

EDIT: Updated.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Nominus Experse View Post
    Thanks Momiji - you've saved me a very large portion of time.
    Hey, no problem. Like I said, I have way too much time on my hands.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

man, I have a million new recommendations after using osx for a while xD

THESE ARE ALL FOR MAC OSX TIGER; THEY MIGHT WORK IN PANTHER, THEY PROBABLY WILL WORK IN LEOPARD, THERE *could* BE A WINDOWS/LINUX VERSION

Quicksilver: application launcher and a searcher apparently, but application launching is sufficient reason to install it xD
    Blacktree

Text Wrangler:
    Bare Bones Software : PRODUCTS : TEXTWRANGLER
    Pretty awesome free text editor. Syntax highlighting, line numbers, and a convenient file drawer for editing multiple files. Plus, it has built-in functionality with another of my favorite osx apps. . .

Cyberduck!: Cyberduck is shareware, but it's such good shareware that you will always update it and always click 'uh remind me to donate next time' unless you are just ASTOUNDED and have to donate. It has a drawer to hold your ftp bookmarks (it's a ftp program btw!) and doesn't suck to use xD
    Cyberduck | FTP for Mac OS X.

Adium: Adium is the osx version of GAIM, in a nutshell. It's very pretty for being related to gaim. You might say it was the city cousin. The only disadvantage to using it over ichat is that since gaim doesn't support video and audio (YET) it doesn't either, but it sure does more protocols and better!
    Adium - Download

speaking of OSX version of open source favorites. .
    NeoOffice: a java-fied version of open office (you don't have to run x11), it's a little behind, and is pretty bloaty, but man it has pretty buttons. And with a recent update, it can run most excel macros i wish that came earlier this semester when I was having to do a ton of VBA coding xD
    www.neooffice.org/

Pixen: This is a pixel program. Don't compare it to gimp, it's closer to MSPaint and it sucks about as hard to use, but if you don't know how to get x11 running and you don't want to donate to macgimp to get it easily, pixen can serve your needs, if you have a lot of patience. Since osx doesn't come with a paint program, you might as well download it until you get fed up and find something else out of desperation. Or maybe you just don't find it as irritating as I do xD but this is still a recommendation because sometimes you just NEED something, and it will definitely be something xD
    open sword - pixen

KVIRC: if you're like me and have to have IRC, it's a lot easier to get used to a new program than to figure out how to install x11, wine helper, and get mirc to kinda run (with 8 fonts, YAY). Therefore, kvirc will suit you fine! The "official" versions are horribly behind, and these SVN releases don't really crash that often (if they do, then I can give you the .app for older ones that were pretty stable for me) There's still things horribly broken since it's like one guy recompiling it for osx, but it's a hell of a lot better than all of those other 'irc' programs. Most of them are just IM over an irc protocol and are pathetic. Ircle is just dead. KVIRC is wonderful :] ALSO THEY JUST RELEASED AN UPDATE AND I"M REALLY EXCITED ABOUT IT.
    KVirc snapshots for Mac OS X

Okay those are the ones I use a lot, so now it's time for more obscure ones!

Audacity: If you use the beta version, it doesn't crash so much (such can be said for so much osx software xD) It records sounds just like in windows/linux!
    audacity.sourceforge.net

Emulators: Boycott Advance (gba), Nestopia (NES), SNES9x(snes),

Ez7zip; extractor

Growltunes; actually, if you see growl anything with an application you use, get it

iTunes helpers: ltjbpm moody

mplayer

game: quinn= tetris

util= smcspeedfan for your macbook pro

xjournal = livejournal

I'm tired of looking for links you can probably google them but otherwise I'll add them back when I get around to it xD

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Nominus, I just noticed that your name isn't on SampleCalc. Sorry I missed it, I was doing all of this in Notepad.

EDIT: Oh sorry, I just saw that you spaced out the sentences. My mistake.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

IrfanView -- Fast, lightweight image viewer; it doesn't let you draw (use a slow-loading program like the GIMP or even mspaint for that), but will let you sharpen, crop, resize/resample, or grayscale an image, convert between many formats, and even add transparency to GIFs just by clicking on the colour that you want to be interpreted as transparent. It loads faster than the splash screen on most image manipulation programs--on my PC, this means "instantly, before my finger has even left the mouse button"

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    IrfanView -- Fast, lightweight image viewer; it doesn't let you draw (use a slow-loading program like the GIMP or even mspaint for that), but will let you sharpen, crop, resize/resample, or grayscale an image, convert between many formats, and even add transparency to GIFs just by clicking on the colour that you want to be interpreted as transparent. It loads faster than the splash screen on most image manipulation programs--on my PC, this means "instantly, before my finger has even left the mouse button"
    I'll second this. It's a fantastic little programme that's handy for all the reasons Bleys stated. The only image program I've ever bothered to download.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Of course I'm right. Didn't you know that I'm Citizen Bleys?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Hey guys, post that stuff in the new thread, okay?

This thread should be closed.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

*waves a magic wand* Now there's only one thread
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP