Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: Recommend a good bit of Freeware!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I just realised I haven't recommended Dropbox here yet. I usually have a few complaints about an app, no matter how good, but Dropbox is pretty much magical. I don't know what it could do better. For me it was one of those things I didn't know I needed.

Fancy introduction video if you don't feel like reading.

If you do:Basically it's a magical folder on your computer (and phone if you want). Put something in it, and it's automatically synchronized to your online Dropbox account (in the background; you won't have to think about it). If you have another computer with Dropbox, when you turn it on you'll find that your files are in the Dropbox there, too. Same with your phone, obviously.

It automatically provides an online backup for your documents. It also keeps a history, so if you deleted or overwrote a file that you needed, just go to your dropbox, locate the file and download an earlier copy.

It lets you share folders with people. You can invite other Dropbox users to whichever folders you want. It's a great way to keep a "Photos" folder together with your family, sharing a folder with colleagues or classmates for your current project or just sharing files with a friend for fun. If two people are modifying the same file simultaneously, no worries - Dropbox notices and saves one person's work as a copy.

There's also a web interface where you can access your files from any computer with internet - it makes USB sticks and emailing files to yourself seem kinda redundant.

If you feel like trying it out, please use this link as it gives me some extra space for my account

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

This isn't software per se, but I've recently switched out of google search engine to the following:

DuckDuckGo

Why?

Google tracks you. We don't. An illustrated guide.
    Escape your search engine Filter Bubble!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

Agreed with PG. DuckDuckGo is amazing. I started using it a few months ago and I don't use Google anymore, except for images. Wish there was a good alternative for Google Images. Does anyone know of one?

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Agreed with PG. DuckDuckGo is amazing. I started using it a few months ago and I don't use Google anymore, except for images. Wish there was a good alternative for Google Images. Does anyone know of one?
    dogpile.com possibly?
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

DDG is indeed amazing. However, I occasionally find myself missing my filter bubble when I try to find Nondrick and Nordrick. Google knows what I want immediately, whereas DuckDuckGo gets utterly bamboozled by the whole affair.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I was going to suggest dogpile, but then I remembered reading that dogpile uses google as its base.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen