View Poll Results: What do you think of Nomura and his character designs?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • GENIUS, GENIUS, GENIUS!

14 42.42%
  • Stale, ridiculous and overused. A total hack.

9 27.27%
  • 80% Crap 20% Awesome.

10 30.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tetsuya Nomura - Your Thoughts?

Default Tetsuya Nomura - Your Thoughts?

I pick Option 3. he did design Seifer Almasy and Auron. They do look badass and their outfits do fit their characters very well.

Pretty much everything else he designed was lame though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Good thread, FL, although I gotta say the thread options are limited.

It kinda seems like the internet community assumes that you either ignorantly love nomura, hate him, like his monster designs, or... I don't know, fourth option! In any case, I'm sure the overhwhelming majority of FF fans don't even know who he is, or care.

If you reversed Option 3 - 80% aewsome 20% crap, i guess that'd be me. The games which he worked on as character designer are among my favorite, the fans and critics overwhelmingly agree. However, I think the position he fulfilled best was "Battle Director", I'll leave you all to figure out which game I'm talking about.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I like him. Although he uintentionally had otaku think they belong in the gaming world, he ultimately became one of my favorite developers ever. Take that Anti-FFVII bandwagon!

His character designs in FF7 and 8 were pretty cool. By FFX though, it was just retarded. Mostly it was Lulu's dress. LOOK AT IT. LOOK AT ALL THOSE BELTS. Then Kingdom Hearts, Donald's entire hat is a zipper with a belt on it holding it to his head, Cloud was raped horribly with all those belts, bandages on the buster sword, retarded wing. His recent work is quite frankly, disgusting. The whole "One Wing lol I'm deep" crap is gut wrenching. His characters all look like girls, If you took the hair away from AC Cloud's face and Lightning's face and looked at their faces alone, you would see no difference. Nomura is a joke.

I'm not voting, because there isn't a 50/50 thread option. Seriously, what the hell? Unlike a lot of people, I don't think his work is lame or ridiculous. At the same time, however, it's not exactly as refined as Katsumi Yokota or Akihiko Yoshida. So, I'm kind of "meh" on the whole Nomura topic. He's made things that I like, and things that I don't. I don't love him, I don't hate him. He's just kind of "there", for the most part. My world would probably be the same with or without his designs.

EDIT: Actually, I really like his design work for the 32 bit gen, like the Parasite Eve titles and FFVIII. FFX has some nice work, as well. Post-FFX, I feel his design work really got lazy and uncreative. In no small part due to the fact that Nomura's workload has increased 200x compared to what it once was, so instead of doing a few designs of generally high quality, he has to do dozens of crappy ones to meet deadlines. Ugh.
    Last edited by Alucard von Elru; 05-02-2008 at 03:30 AM.
    Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

He does some things that annoy me, but I can't dispute the quality of some of the work he has done. He's a genious.

Str8 Pimpin'

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Genius!!!!

But my friends who are oldtimers and love FFVI or older stuff call him "Tetsuckya"
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have mixed feeling of Nomura. I feel he's the embodiment of style over substance and as long as it "looks cool" he'll exploit it. I do like his early monster designs as well as his heavy anime influenced designs. His more realistic designs in VIII and X leave me cold though. VIII's character designs were boring but not entirely his fault since the team was hoping for an "everday modern feel" for the characters but the ones in X were downright gaudy.

Yes his designs have a tendency to look the same but that happens with most artist. I'm certain if you grabbed a guy off the streets and showed him a head shot of Amano's designs for Rosa, Terra, Celes, and Dagger they would say they were all the same person... As a director, he's good at making wire-fu but he needs a better writer for his stories...

The undisputed MVP in the dilution of Final Fantasy, and a pretty notable dude in the extirpation of Square's hard-earned reputation, in general.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

GENIUS! n.n

The handful of decent character designs are most likely total flukes as the rest of his work is pure garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    The handful of decent character designs are most likely total flukes as the rest of his work is pure garbage.

Agree'd. With like Seifer and Auron, you have to understand that he prolly actually toned himself down with them because they look like they fit into the game. Meaning the character artist director prolly gave certain guidelines for the look and feel or the charas.

Looking at Seifer and Auron versus characters in which he has -all- control over, (like Kingdom hearts series and FFXII).. well.. you can see a slight if not obvious difference.

Either way, I just think he's over rated. Not only that, but he does what I see many teenagers do on DeviantArt. Granted they're prolly copying his general style with belts and punk + "modern" styles, but either way his artistic skills are really that of a good amount of people I've seen on DevArt who draw the same things that are only 17.

And because of that, it makes me wonder -why- he's so loved, it can't be because of his art skills and style crossovers arn't really that new.

I'm sure you meant XIII, Ava, not XII. xD

I like -SOME- of his designs, but the rest I think are just downright ridiculous.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Everyone on the internet hates him. Therefore I must comply lest I upset someone.