View Poll Results: What do you think of Nomura and his character designs?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • GENIUS, GENIUS, GENIUS!

14 42.42%
  • Stale, ridiculous and overused. A total hack.

9 27.27%
  • 80% Crap 20% Awesome.

10 30.30%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tetsuya Nomura - Your Thoughts?

*yawn*

Thanks to him the amazing character of Tifa will always be seen as a second-rate slut, all because of that damn mini-mini-mini-mini-skirt! Why oh why did he not go with the long pants...
    Yeah his designs did get a little stale by the time FFX came along (I hated FFX's outfits). He has a very distinct style and I think like fashion it eventually goes 'out' after a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    The handful of decent character designs are most likely total flukes as the rest of his work is pure garbage.
    Agreed.

Nomura has nothing on Amano.

Besides how can anyone like such a hack who openly admits his latest character (Lightning) is just a female rendition of Cloud? Cloud....Squall....Tidus....Lightning. THEIR THE SAME PERSON! Just throw on new clothes and give them a new big sword and call it a day I guess.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like his character designs in VII and X actually, though his style grows stale for me after a while since there's nothing that distinguishes it except for leather and belts/buckles. Now that that little jab is out of the way though we can get to more serious discussion from me.

I do enjoy the original Kingdom Hearts a lot and I like Advent Children for being a fun action movie, but as a game designer/producer/director, he leaves a lot to be desired, especially after the first KH. I cut that game a lot of slack because despite being flawed in many ways the story, concept and gameplay were all inherently enjoyable the first time out. The problem for me is that he's yet to prove that he can make a game that is actually well designed and executed. He is anything but a visionary game developer. In fact, I'd say that he seems more like someone who knows how to make a game on an intellectual level, but lacks the natural creative talent for it, or the obsessive perfectionism to make sure they get it right every time. Which is probably why all of his efforts are pretty average. At least the novelty of a Square/Disney crossover kind of blinded me to it a bit the first time (though I do think it was actually better made than anything else he's done on his own).

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ a well thought out post in an outdated thread, although I disagree with you completely on the quality of his games. Well, some of them, I don't follow this person's works as some of the haters in this forum would expect one appreciative of his work to do.

I'm still wondering why there wasn't a fourth option reversing option 3. I would have voted in that case.

I like him when he's not going insane with slapping zippers on anything that moves. Which is rare these days, but his older work is pretty good and translates well into the games they're made for.

I actually like his designs. They differentiate enough from other games to give his games a bigger personality. Some are absolute garbage though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I like Nomura, but Amuro ftw. I still haven't thrown away the box for ff4 advance (a game I got in like 2005) because I like his art. I also bought the book Vampire Hunter D because I recognize his work.
    Returners Represent!

50/50 probably. His designs from VII and VIII were awesome. After that I feel he got a tad stale and just basically rehashed alot of his characters. I mean, I remember a while back when the characters from X were first released comparing how many of them, like Yuna and Tidus, looked alot like previous characters. In saying that though, characters like Auron, Wakka and Kimarhi were pretty nicely designed and fresh.

I think of Nomura's stuff as 'Hit and Miss'. I'm not overly fond of his characters from the upcoming XIII and it's many spinoffs, although the games look cool. I'm hoping that the next installment sees a brand new character designer with some brand new ideas. It's happened before. IX and XII had characters with new and fresh designs, especially IX.

On a side note, I have no problem with the belts and zips, I'm quite fond of them and sometimes use them on my own characters.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You are attempting to participate in a discussion that happened almost a year ago. Isn't that eerie? Like talking to ghosts.

Please don't post in threads that haven't been posted in in over a month. You're welcome to remake the topic. <3