Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 3 Part 2 - Team 1 (Team Fruity)

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Round 3 Part 2 - Team 1 (Team Fruity)

Congratulations! You are now part of the staff! Hypothetically, at least. For this task your group will act as the staff, and you must come together to make an important decision...the very same decision that the current staff is trying to make right now.

You must decide the next Cid's Knight. You will not be deciding between real members, but 5 candidate profiles that we will provide you. Each candidate has their strengths and weaknesses that would make them a good Knight.

Please discuss the merits of each candidate in this thread, and together come to a decision on who to promote, with a reason why they were chosen over the rest.

For the duration of this task please stay out of the other teams' threads. We will be watching you. Remember, everything you do is graded.

Here are your candidates:

Candidate 1 -
    • Longtime member who has been around for many years.
    • Well known and respected by most of the veterans, but has not had much interaction with most of the the newer members.
    • Posts mainly in the general categories and Feedback.
    • Has a smart unique personality and outlook that not many others have.
    • Forum activity is currently moderate.

Candidate 2
    • Joined within the last year but has become one of the top posters during that time.
    • Well received and like by most of the newer members, but some of the oldbies will probably claim they've never heard of this person.
    • Active poster in all forums, but mainly in General Chat.
    • Friendly poster but has the tendency to spam and be immature at times.
    • Forum activity level is very high

Candidate 3
    • Has been an active member for 3 years.
    • Posts a lot in the gaming forums but not much in the general forums.
    • Is well known and well respected in the gaming forums for their helpfulness and advice.
    • Calm and low-key demeanor. Hardly ever participates in forum 'events'.
    • Forum activity level is very high in the Gaming forums, much less so in the General forums.

Candidate 4
    • One of the top posters in General Chat for a number of years.
    • Everyone's buddy. Has won numerous Ciddies in many different categories.
    • Generally well liked by the community, but has had run-ins with the staff due to their non-serious, jokster nature.
    • At one point claimed to be "anti-staff" but that position has since changed.
    • Forum activity level is high in the General forums. Never visits the gaming forums.

Candidate 5
    • Since joining EoFF two years ago, this person has dived right into the community and become an active poster throughout the forum.
    • Is constantly posting ideas for new events and making interesting, interactive threads.
    • Well liked by the community for their upbeat personality.
    • Sensitive in nature, this poster shies away from confrontation and prefers to go with the flow.
    • Activity level is not always constant. Periods of intense activity are sometimes followed by very low levels of posting.

You have 30 hours (Tomorrow 5pm Pacific time) to complete this task.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Well, the first thing I want to say is number 5 sounds like a great member but would probably be a pretty crappy moderator. He (I'm just gonna say he) would have trouble setting people straight when the need arises, and wouldn't even be here a lot of the time. (Though that didn't stop Kishi. xP)

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll second what Roto said about Candidate 5. Candidate 5 sounds like an excellent candidate for some sort of site staff position, however. They seem like they'd be very comfortable there.

I think while Candidate 1 and 2 are very much polar opposites, they both could butt heads with our staff. They seem to be extremes on the Oldbie - Newbie scale. I think a neutral member would fare much better. Candidate 2 could interact better with ALL members, but Candidate 1 is much more grounded and seems to be more mature and intelligent. Candidate 2 might not be listened to by the oldbies, but Candidate 1 might be looked upon by the newer members as "Oh, that grumpy old guy! Don't listen to him!"

---

Candidate 3 sounds very responsible, and while they could end up becoming more social because of the CK power, but they might not know how to interact best as a CK. They might turn a blind eye to GC, which is probably one of the moderating hot spots.

They could be a wild card. Candidate 3 is a toughy because a lot of the most recent CKs are Candidate 3's, and while some have become social on GC and are keeping an eye on it while still posting in Gaming, some haven't been. Candidate 3 seems to be a type of person that could very well become an admin if they keep up the good work, however. They seem to fall in the calm, polite helpful but not the most social in the forum type that is often admined.

---

I don't really see any major weakness in Candidate 4, to be honest. All of their imperfections seem to be ones that can be easily fixed, rather than character flaws. They don't post in Gaming Forum. But that's something that is very easily fixed.

They seem to have been a bit silly and spammish as a younger member, but have matured over the years. They have been scolded and they were anti-staff. I think being able to show growth is a pretty important thing. I think Candidate 4 would be respected by the general fora, especially because they've shown that they have a fun side, and they're not all serious business. After all, one of the best members on staff is a major Candidate 4.

---

I think I'll write more specifics later. But personally, I think Candidate 3 and 4 would work best with our staff.

I think we should all put our opinions in on each candidate so that we all can gain a wider perspective, and then all together, we should analyze each candidate one at a time in a more organized fashion. But I don't want to feel like the Team Fruity dictator, so what do you guys want to do?
    Last edited by Rye; 04-06-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Alright, I'll give my impressions of the rest of the candidates now.

1. Candidate 1 sounds like he might alienate the newer forum members if he was made a CK. His experience would give him a good understanding of the rules, but I don't think it's really enough.

2. If Candidate 1 is pretending they've never heard of Candidate 2, too bad. xP A little spam wouldn't be much of a problem, as long as he doesn't overdo it. Psy does a good enough job. Being active in all of the forums is a big plus. Too many people never post outside of General Chat. Plus, they'd be around enough to get a lot accomplished.

3. Candidate 3 sounds a lot like a certain someone who would have signed up for this contest if they'd known about it, but concedes that the very fact that he didn't know about it means he probably shouldn't win. However, if by "gaming forums" you mean the Final Fantasy forums, that might not be as much of an issue, since those forums are kind of undermoderated at times. One other drawback is that they don't sound like big participants in the community aspect of the site very much.

4. I think Candidate 4 would have been a pretty bad addition to staff a few years ago, but now they'd do a good job. Like Rye said, his attitude problem seems to be a thing of the past, and who cares about that? They're very well-liked and probably respected, which would be great for the relationship between the staff and normal members. Honestly, the only drawback for number 4 is that he doesn't post enough in the FF forums, and that would be easy enough for them to change.

I'd vote for number 4 first and number 2 second.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'll post my initial thoughts on each of the candidates. I think it'd be helpful if everyone were to take a look at the candidates and wrote what their own thoughts were before most of the debate takes place.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Candidate 1 -
    • Longtime member who has been around for many years.
    • Well known and respected by most of the veterans, but has not had much interaction with most of the the newer members.
    • Posts mainly in the general categories and Feedback.
    • Has a smart unique personality and outlook that not many others have.
    • Forum activity is currently moderate.
    I think this is a pretty strong candidate. The fact that they've been around a long time is a plus because they'll have a lot of experience in using the forums and in taking part in the community in general. The lack of interaction with newer members presents a problem in that the newer members (these days) are the lifeblood of the forum that keeps it fresh. I would consider that activity in the general forums and feedback to be a further strength because those are the forums that tend to need the most moderating. We all know how feedback has gotten in the past. Personality seems one that is their best strength. Intelligence is a plus, but the fact that their outlook is somewhat different and can bring different perspectives to the table in staff discussions is the main value I see in their personality. Forum activity being moderate I don't see as being a particular strength or weakness, but obviously it would be better if they were more active.

Candidate 2
    • Joined within the last year but has become one of the top posters during that time.
    • Well received and like by most of the newer members, but some of the oldbies will probably claim they've never heard of this person.
    • Active poster in all forums, but mainly in General Chat.
    • Friendly poster but has the tendency to spam and be immature at times.
    • Forum activity level is very high
    While I said that the experience of candidate 1 was a good thing, I think that the lack of experience presents a minor weakness. I say minor because the forums can and do change and so if they're an active poster NOW, it suggests to me that they're in-tune with how the forums are. The good relations with the newer members is a further strength, though there is a minor problem in the lack of knowledge with oldbies. Could cause a lack of respect for them? Activity is good. No problem with a bias for GC if they're active in all of them. Problem with the spamming and immaturity, but there's the possibility that a promotion to staff would curb those tendencies, if not, it might be a bit of risk. I'd say that was my primary concern with this candidate. Forum activity level is great.

Candidate 3
    • Has been an active member for 3 years.
    • Posts a lot in the gaming forums but not much in the general forums.
    • Is well known and well respected in the gaming forums for their helpfulness and advice.
    • Calm and low-key demeanor. Hardly ever participates in forum 'events'.
    • Forum activity level is very high in the Gaming forums, much less so in the General forums.
    Length of stay here is fine. A healthy average of the first two candidates. Posting in the gaming forums I see as a strength because I think that sometimes that people (staff and members alike) overlook. This is good because they can not only moderate the gaming forums, but perhaps breathe some life into them. Personality sounds great, but the lack of activity in forum events could be a hitch. Naturally it would be good if they did take part or could be encouraged to take part. Forum events can be dramatic, hence my concern. Activity in the gaming forums - as I've said - I view as a strength, but on the balance of things, I'd say the lack of activity in the general forums (the more high maintanance forums in my opinion) is a considerable weakness.

Candidate 4
    • One of the top posters in General Chat for a number of years.
    • Everyone's buddy. Has won numerous Ciddies in many different categories.
    • Generally well liked by the community, but has had run-ins with the staff due to their non-serious, jokster nature.
    • At one point claimed to be "anti-staff" but that position has since changed.
    • Forum activity level is high in the General forums. Never visits the gaming forums.
    Top poster in GC is fine and I'd consider it a particular strength of this candidate. Being a buddy and jokey can be seen as a strength and a weakness. Having someone who naturally gets on well with the general membership is great, but if that could be a problem (e.g. an unwillingness to deal with buddies who break the rules). If their anti-staff position has changed, I don't see it as too much of an issue. Activity does concern me though. Despite being high in the general forums (as I said, the ones that probably need most moderating attention), if they're not bothering to visit the gaming forums and are showing a lack of interest in them, there's a problem there. My initial evaluation was that this candidate was the weakest of the five.

Candidate 5
    • Since joining EoFF two years ago, this person has dived right into the community and become an active poster throughout the forum.
    • Is constantly posting ideas for new events and making interesting, interactive threads.
    • Well liked by the community for their upbeat personality.
    • Sensitive in nature, this poster shies away from confrontation and prefers to go with the flow.
    • Activity level is not always constant. Periods of intense activity are sometimes followed by very low levels of posting.
    Integration into the forum is brilliant. Time period here is fine as well. The innovation is one of the traits I like most about this candidate. Obviously the staff tend to run most of the new events (such as this one right here!) and so an enthusiasm and spark for running such events is a strength. Well liked in the community is great too. Perhaps a slight issue with the upbeat personality (i.e. unwilling to discipline), which is reinforced by the shying away from confrontation. At the end of the day, if they are staff then confrontation is unavoidable. I say this because naturally over run-ins with the membership and over discussions such as these in the staff forum over forum policy will take place at some point or another. Activity levels are also a concern. Would much rather they were more consistent in their activity.

----

Those are my initial appraisals of all the candidates. I've not read the other posts in this thread as I wanted to get my impressions out first and foremost both for my benefit and other people's when we come to start to reach conclusions later on in this task. I'll go read Rye and Roto's posts now.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

That was some pretty great analysis. While I still stand by Candidate 4, you did really bring Candidate 1 into a positive light. I'd say Candidate 1 and 3 are tied now in my estimation. :]

I agree with Roto and Rye on candidate 5 - although they sound like a fantastic member, their varied activity level and disliking of confrontations speak against them. Being a generally loved member and being creative when it comes to threads don't necessarily mean they'll be a good Cid's Knight.

To me candidate 3 and 4 sound like each others' opposites in a way. I agree with Rye that the fact that candidate 4 used to be anti-staff and has had run-ins with them in the past don't mean that they wouldn't become a great Cid's Knight. As she's already pointed out the member has experienced some growth, and growth/potential is a good quality. The fact that they're not really that active in the gaming forums doesn't strike me as a problem either, since everyone can't be balanced out when it comes to activity in certain forums, and I highly doubt that any of the current Cid Knight's regularly post in every single forum here. Also, being well-liked and popular help.
    Candidate 3 actually sounds like a good Cid's Knight contender to me. They have some very good qualities: Helpful, respected and therefore probably also well-liked by their fellow members. Respect is not very easily attained, and it's a lot easier to become a popular and well-liked member than it is to become a respected member. The fact that they mostly post in the gaming forums, and not that much in the general ones, isn't really an issue to me: As I see it, it's important for a staff, or another group of any kind, to have some diversity. So, while there may be a lot more going on in the general forums, and moderation is more needed there, candidate 3 will be able to moderate the gaming forums, that some of the other CKs may not typically focus on that much.

Candidate 1 sounds more like the typical Cid's Knight. They've been a member for a long time so they most certainly know the rules and they mostly post in the general forums where moderation probably is more needed. Also, they have an interesting/cool personality and the different outlook on things probably will be a good addition to the staff because, as I already mentioned, diversity and different outlooks are good qualities. Also, the fact that they don't really interact with the newbies can totally be fixed. Candidate 1 seems like an all-around great candidate to become a Cid's Knight, but the fact that they seem to be a bit too typical/traditional might be a small problem. Although they have a different outlook in things, trying something completely different might be a good idea for the staff? I don't really know what to make of candidate 1 yet.

Although candidate 2 sounds like a great member, the fact that some members might claim they've never heard of them, their tendency to spam and being immature and that they've only been a member for about a year (and therefore they may be a bit green) speak against them. A high level of activity, and in all forums as well, is a neat thing, but not enough to become a Cid's Knight.

For me candidate 2 and 5 don't seem as eligible as the rest to become CKs.. I'm not entirely sure as to which one of the rest I'd make a Cid's Knight, as of yet that is. I'll have to read what the others have to say as well.
    Last edited by Breine; 04-06-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Recognized Member smittenkitten's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator

Okay what has been said above is basically what I would have said as well.

Candidate One

Smart and an oldbie but doesn't post enough in other forums. I think he/she would make a bad candidate because he/she won't make the effort to get to know his/her new fellow Eoffers.

Candidate Two

This Candidate wouldn't really stand out to me enough that says "Cid's Knight". He/she wouldn't make a bad CK but wouldn't stand out enough.
    Good that he/she is a regular, as for the spamming who doesn't these days. Although if it did get out of hand after being he/she was knighted then a demotion would be considered. That would make the staff look bad.

Candidate Three

This Candidate sounds like a nice guy/girl. Although he/she doesn't post a lot in the general forum it sounds like he/she is into their games or helping out. He/she though needs to widen their variety when it comes to forums and also need to be more involved with Eoff events. If we needed someone on the staff that knows a lot about games and can help out then sure I'd knight him.

Candidate Four

I think this one sounds a bit like Psychotic. This Candidate sounds like a great person and would be a fantastic CK. He/She would need to expand their variety of forum posting though. For the anti-staff thing it wouldn't be a problem anymore since he/she has changed it doesn't matter. I think he/she would also be perfect because we all need to have a laugh now and again. I think you would need to be a jokester with the amount of horrible things people would say to you, you would need to not take things personally. This would be my candidate.

Candidate Five

I think this candidate would also make a good CK. He/She is bit different from the rest of the candidates, and full of ideas. He/She has a great personality and sounds like they would talk to anyone. The only problems would be the sensitivity and the periods of low posting. The sensitivity would be a problem because he/she might not be able to handle the pressure that CK's have to handle almost everyday. The periods of low posting can be fixed if that person is determined but it would be worrisome. :mog:

I vote for Candidate 4 because I think he/she would be able top handle the pressure put upon them. I like the sound of Candidate 5 he/she is full of ideas which is always a good thing for Eoff, just got to remember to be gentle on them.

Candidate 3 and 4 share the 1st place for me right now, with candidate 1 coming in 2nd.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

So it seems that Candidate 4 is the most liked among us! 3 and 1 also seem to be high up there. We definitely need to bug the rest of our team come and comment, but it seems that we may have a candidate selection yet!

I think that perhaps, once we've all thrown in our opinions on each candidate, we should start eliminating the ones we definitely don't want. I think a good thing about our team is that while we all have different things to point out, we all have a similar mind set on what we think is good for EoFF, which is making this far easier than I expected!

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    So it seems that Candidate 4 is the most liked among us! 3 and 1 also seem to be high up there. We definitely need to bug the rest of our team come and comment, but it seems that we may have a candidate selection yet!

I think that perhaps, once we've all thrown in our opinions on each candidate, we should start eliminating the ones we definitely don't want. I think a good thing about our team is that while we all have different things to point out, we all have a similar mind set on what we think is good for EoFF, which is making this far easier than I expected!
    Yeah, I agree. We should really just wait for the rest to cite their opinions on the different candidates, and then we can slowly, but probably also pretty surely, start eliminating some of them. But yeah, 1, 3 and 4 seem to be on the top of the list right now.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Excellent! Do any of you have any ideas about who would be the first person you would choose to eliminate?

I still don't really have a lot of faith in candidate 1, but alright. :P

I say we make our votes official in the mafia way. xD

##Vote: Candidate 4

:P

EDIT: I've been hovering over this thread too long.

Alright, elimination. I think we can all agree that we shouldn't bother to consider number 5 any more. We might want to wait for input from a few other people, though.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

My initial thoughts were that 4 was the weakest candidate but having given the matter some thought, I think I was a bit hasty saying that. If I had to pick one to go first, I'd probably go with number two. My reasoning being that the immaturity and spamming could bring the staff into disrepute, cause drama within the staff and their relative newness to the forum. However on the face of the latter, I would say that some staff members have been promoted earlier than under a year and it wouldn't be unheard of, but in this case I don't think it would be justifiable to do so.

Edit: I agree with Roto as well on number five. So either of those two I'd be fine with eliminating.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Excellent! Do any of you have any ideas about who would be the first person you would choose to eliminate?
    I'd personally eliminate candidate 2 and candidate 5, but let's wait and see what the rest of the "fruits", that haven't posted here yet, say