Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 3 Part 2 - Team 2 (Team Awesome)

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Round 3 Part 2 - Team 2 (Team Awesome)

Congratulations! You are now part of the staff! Hypothetically, at least. For this task your group will act as the staff, and you must come together to make an important decision...the very same decision that the current staff is trying to make right now.

You must decide the next Cid's Knight. You will not be deciding between real members, but 5 candidate profiles that we will provide you. Each candidate has their strengths and weaknesses that would make them a good Knight.

Please discuss the merits of each candidate in this thread, and together come to a decision on who to promote, with a reason why they were chosen over the rest.

For the duration of this task please stay out of the other teams' threads. We will be watching you. Remember, everything you do is graded.

Here are your candidates:

Candidate 1 -
    • Longtime member who has been around for many years.
    • Well known and respected by most of the veterans, but has not had much interaction with most of the the newer members.
    • Posts mainly in the general categories and Feedback.
    • Has a smart unique personality and outlook that not many others have.
    • Forum activity is currently moderate.

Candidate 2
    • Joined within the last year but has become one of the top posters during that time.
    • Well received and like by most of the newer members, but some of the oldbies will probably claim they've never heard of this person.
    • Active poster in all forums, but mainly in General Chat.
    • Friendly poster but has the tendency to spam and be immature at times.
    • Forum activity level is very high

Candidate 3
    • Has been an active member for 3 years.
    • Posts a lot in the gaming forums but not much in the general forums.
    • Is well known and well respected in the gaming forums for their helpfulness and advice.
    • Calm and low-key demeanor. Hardly ever participates in forum 'events'.
    • Forum activity level is very high in the Gaming forums, much less so in the General forums.

Candidate 4
    • One of the top posters in General Chat for a number of years.
    • Everyone's buddy. Has won numerous Ciddies in many different categories.
    • Generally well liked by the community, but has had run-ins with the staff due to their non-serious, jokster nature.
    • At one point claimed to be "anti-staff" but that position has since changed.
    • Forum activity level is high in the General forums. Never visits the gaming forums.

Candidate 5
    • Since joining EoFF two years ago, this person has dived right into the community and become an active poster throughout the forum.
    • Is constantly posting ideas for new events and making interesting, interactive threads.
    • Well liked by the community for their upbeat personality.
    • Sensitive in nature, this poster shies away from confrontation and prefers to go with the flow.
    • Activity level is not always constant. Periods of intense activity are sometimes followed by very low levels of posting.

You have 30 hours (Tomorrow 5pm Pacific time) to complete this task.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Alright well since that scare of Del's (bad Del! ) is over, it's time to get down to business. I'll write up my thoughts on each candidate, but as of the moment the first one is the one I'm leaning towards.

My reasons being are assuming that us 10 are staff, we have a nice mix of oldbies and newbies. But mostly on the newer side, so an oldbie to help balance out wouldn't be a bad idea. They have a unique outlook which I think would be invaluable to any staff, and more outlooks will help us look over anything that comes out way better.

Well then what does everyone else think about the other candidates?
    This space intentionally left blank.

this should be interesting. Each of the candidates has some good qualities, just like we all do. I didn't really see any really negative qualities listed... which is kinda unrealistic. I'm gonna need some time to look them over, and see who'd fit best with our team.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

After reading this all, so far Candidate 5 sounds like the best to me. I believe a Knight should at least view many forums often, not just general chat. I also think its a good idea for Knights to do things that are interactive with the community, because they have the easiest time running such operations. His weakness would be the inconsistent posting habits, but I feel that is acceptable, because it reminds me much of myself, and I feel one of the reasons I will never end up leaving this place, is because I take occasional breaks.

EDIT: I just noticed Candidate 5 actually sounds a lot like me, which is probably why I'd vote for him xD

Candidate 5 is good, but as it says is shy and avoids confrontation. This could be a problem when having to deal with things. The person may try to tell other people about the problem, rather than attempting to do it themselves. If no one else is online at the time and the problem needs to get taken care of immediately, they may be reluctant to do so.

I think the biggest thing we don't know is how active these people are at reading/monitoring. I know I personally am not very involved in all the areas, but I typically read any new posts, unless there are a lot since I last logged in. A person who does not post often, but is always reading the new things would be able to monitor very well.

I think the real key is who would fit best with our team... so where do our team members post the most?
    General Chat - moderate
    EoEO- depends on the topic
    Lounge- moderate
    General Gaming - frequently
    FF1-8 - whenever there are new threads I at least read them
    FF9-13 I don't go in these sections very often
    FFT, TA, CC - I typically read all of these as well
    General FF- read and post moderately

later when I have time, I'll post what I see the pro/con of every person to be

THE JACKEL

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I would be against candidate four, because they don't go to the gaming forums at all. While they don't get as much traffic, a good moderator should still at least glance through each forum.

Edit:
    I post moderately in the general forums exept for EoEO which i post if i feel I have something to add to the discussion and I don't really visit the artists forum.

I read most posts in each of the final fantasy forums, but I only post in the games that I actually played. I actively post in the Kingdom Hearts forum
    Last edited by qwertysaur; 04-06-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Yeah the monitoring thing is an issue.

As for where I go, I pretty much post where ever, though General Chat and the Gaming forums are my biggest. I generally glance over most of the posts of EoEo too.

With a lot of things in mind I think candidate 5 might be out just for their lack of confrontation which I feel for a knight is a must. When I used to mod GFF I had to do things I didn't like or required confrontation, there's no way shirking that duty as a mod simply put, as s*** happens and trolls come and you gotta be able to deal with it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Thats a good point, if we where mods, what gaps would we need filled?

GC- Very often
    EoEo- Not much on very specific threads
    Lounge- Not at all, only very specific threads
    General Gaming- Least of all my activity
    Art- Not so much, few specific threads
    Writer's Corner- Often I love to write.

FF1-3: Not that often
    FFIV: I read more then I post
    V-VI: Not that often
    VII-VIII: Sometimes
    IX-X: Read often
    XI: Not often
    XII: Often.
    KH: sometimes
    General FF- Often
    The rest: Not often.

This makes me want to eliminate Candidate 2 because he mainly posts in GC.

Well posting doesn't denote lack of activity in other sections though. I've thumbed into writing from time to time (admittedly not a whole lot) and other forums I have a once a year type of posting habit in. I think instead of solely looking at posting patterns, maybe look more into personality, questioning if their the type of person to be more of a monitor type of person even if they don't post in a lot of forums.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

General Chat is the most viewed forum, if something is wrong there then someone will see it and warn it. I don't think we need another mod just for GC.

And more so...

Quote Originally Posted by C2
    Friendly poster but has the tendency to spam and be immature at times.
    IMO not really needed. I don't think staff should be immature, it sets a bad example. Most of the staff here, while they can be jokers, are not immature.

Candidate 1
    Being active in the general categories which get the most activity is a plus. Posting in feedback also shows high interest in the quality of the site. The different outlook can also be useful in giving new ideas and such that other members of staff may have overlooked. Moderate activity would be enough, as I see we have some very active members in our group. My favorite candidate.
    5/5

Candidate 2
    Being well received is always a good thing. It’s typical for the oldbies to cling to the oldbies, and the newer people to form their own bond. Being active in all forums is definitely a plus. The spam can be a problem, but could very easily be approached and told that we think hespams too much, and will need to cut back if he/she gets the position.
    4/5

Candidate 3
    Honestly, this person seems the most like me. I don’t think another me is really necessary on the team. However, knowing my own strong points, I can point out this guy’s. He is well known where he posts, which is always a good thing. The fact that he typically gives advice and tries to be helpful which shows that he is out to help others, and will probably do a good job trying to help run the forums. I know I browse basically every forum, but post mostly in gaming. Not participating in events may make it seem like he’s not too into the website however. Being calm and low-demeanor can be a positive and a negative. It will be useful in keeping calm when dealing with a problem, but also can distance himself from the rest of the group. Awesome candidate but, since he’s like me, I don't necessarily need him for the team.
    2/5

Candidate 4
    Being well known and well liked probably means a people person. Someone who can get along with anyone is always a welcome addition to the team. Not being active in the gaming forums can be hurtful though. The problem with being a jokster all the time is that when a serious problem comes up, people may not take you seriously. Being anti-staff and having a run in with the people in charge in the past, may show this person has a problem with authority. Two things could happen if given more power. He could either clash with those who have even more power and experience, going on a power trip, or be happy with it and fit well with the team. Not a bad candidate by any means, but my least liked candidate.
    1/5

Candidate 5
    Candidate 5 is good, but as it says is shy and avoids confrontation. This could be a problem when having to deal with things. The person may try to tell other people about the problem, rather than attempting to do it themselves. If no one else is online at the time and the problem needs to get taken care of immediately, they may be reluctant to do so. Posting new ideas shows interest in the forum, and being well liked is always a plus. Probably can get along with anyone. Having varying times of intensity does not necessarily mean they’re not visiting/reading the site.
    3/5

going off of the other people in the group(from reading their round 2 responses), I'd go with Candidate 1 or Candidate 5.

THE JACKEL
    Last edited by ljkkjlcm9; 04-06-2008 at 07:49 PM.

I agree. So candidate 2 and 5 I opt to be off our list of consideration lest someone provides good reason otherwise.

They show 2 qualities that aren't fitting of a mod I think. A Knight needs to be mature, and needs to be able to confront people when necessary.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I have an idea, lets rank each candidate on who we would pick. Here is my list

1) Contestant 3
    2) Contestant 5
    3) Contestant 1
    4) Contestant 2
    5) Contestant 4

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I actually thought non-confrontational might not be a bad thing. This may translate into just closing a thread, or answering with an exact reason, then getting personally involved in a situation. Lekana would be a person who I can say is "confrontational" she'll argue with the person, and get very personally involved with the situation. qwerty seems like a non-confrontational person, and would avoid arguing with the person over a call, and just say "________ broke the rules."

EDIT: I'd rank it...

1) Contestant 5
    2) Contestant 3
    3) Contestant 4
    4) Contestant 1
    5) Contestant 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2000X View Post
    I agree. So candidate 2 and 5 I opt to be off our list of consideration lest someone provides good reason otherwise.

They show 2 qualities that aren't fitting of a mod I think. A Knight needs to be mature, and needs to be able to confront people when necessary.
    being mature all the time can present a problem too. Sometimes joking around can actually lighten the mood during a serious problem, helping people to relax. Immaturity isn't a bad thing, if the person knows when it's appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    I actually thought non-confrontational might not be a bad thing. This may translate into just closing a thread, or answering with an exact reason, then getting personally involved in a situation. Lekana would be a person who I can say is "confrontational" she'll argue with the person, and get very personally involved with the situation. qwerty seems like a non-confrontational person, and would avoid arguing with the person over a call, and just say "________ broke the rules."
    confrontational and shy are two different things. Being shy means avoiding the situation altogether and not talking to the person. While the person may have done something minor, you never know how they'll react. If a person is shy and can't handle and backlash, it could present a problem. Being overly confrontational is also a problem.

EDIT: I completely agree candidate 3 is great, and would support choosing him... just feel he reflects me the most and may not be needed for OUR team.

we also need to wait for all the other members to post their opinions and such. A team has to work well together, so we have to see who fits best with us.

THE JACKEL
    Last edited by ljkkjlcm9; 04-06-2008 at 07:54 PM.