Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 3 Part 2 - Team 3 (Team 3SD)

I AM # 2...so I should probably vote for that one...

Then I think 3 is pretty well-suited to the job.

I think 3.

Blog Entries

I'd have to go for candidate #1

he/she posts in feed back so we know that he/she is active in ideas for the forums. Been around a long time, knows the rules. And even if he/she doesnt interact with new members, the new members wouldnt know who all the ck's are anyway. There are plenty of ck's who do so a little elitism is a minor drawback
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Blog Entries

Sorry for the double post but i really think we should prepare an answer now, not a definite answer just a quick one we agree on by vote incase we run out of time and dont have a final answer. (Im not really sure how much time is left).
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 04-07-2008 at 10:50 AM.
    Have a nice day!!

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Sorry for the double post but i really think we should prepare an answer now, not a definite answer just a quick one we agree on by vote incase we run out of time and dont have a final answer. (Im not really sure how much time is left).
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we still have all of today to get this sorted. Right now the votes are as follows;

Candidate 1; (2) Crossblades, blackmage_nuke
    Candidate 2; (0)
    Candidate 3; (3) Captain Maxx Power, Dynast-Kid, Araciel
    Candidate 4; (0)
    Candidate 5; (1) Chaos Is The Key

Kentarou you said 4 earlier, but then 5 later; which is it? Jigsaw is on the fence right now it seems, and BG-57 hasn't voted yet. So right now we're missing PG's vote.

If anyone wants to change their vote then they can do. I'll keep an eye on the voting changes during the day. Right now I'm thinking of changing my vote to 5, since I think that their wider range of activity is an advantage, and the confidence issue might go away once they have admin powers and don't have to "put up with this crap" as it were.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Blog Entries

I dont know what time 'pacific time' is.

And remember we need time to write a well composed reason as to why the candidate owns the rest. (which i suggest we do by comparing it to other candidates one at a time)
    Have a nice day!!

we still have 14 hours. I think that's time enough to get in 1 vote, and have those on the fence to decide for certain.

Blog Entries

The voting will be easy, it's writing and agreeing on the reason as a group that will be hard.

To get the best result we'll have to make drafts and edits as a group to show we are the ones who are the best at working in a team

I think that is the true meaning behind this test, it's possible our actual answer is really a small part or maybe even irrelevant

The candidate we choose is just one number, i doubt that is the main part of the test, logically the focus should be put on the reasoning.

It makes sense to just pick a candidate now, run with it and recieve reasoning suggestions which we compile into a short essay of some sort. That way we wont have people in seperate time zones un able to contribute to reasoning and only able to contribute to voting.

I guess this is all stuff i shouldve said earlier. But that is my suggestion

It might sound abit selfish but im pretty sure most of the work will be done towards the end or in the next 10 hours and its getting late in my time zone and i'll be asleep when the majority of the work is done and i just dont want it to look like i did nothing to help. I think if other people in my time zone think about it they'll feel the same
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 04-07-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    Have a nice day!!

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Hello all. I was predisposed yesterday as I was hanging out with Araciel. However I was made aware of what I would have to do. So on with it!

Reading the description of the five people, I tended to associate the description of an existing CK. I confirmed this with Captain Maxx Power. However, this observation can't be really that useful -- after all, if all five descriptions describe a CK, then all five descriptions are good for the forum.

There was a possibility the descriptions described a member that used to be a CK. This is equally pointless because the reasons for picking somebody is irrelevant unless one can make an argument that a particular application type (and these are pretty general statements) are prone to failure. The way I will approach this would be to decide from my end what type of person I would best want to be a CK and go from there.

As decided, I will go with the criteria set out by CMP but I will only list the candidates that I feel are worth my time.

===

Candidate one:

History:
    I personally like to see veterans/regs become CKs. I don't think that the point to be made is that if you put in enough time in the forum you get a shiny medal, nor do I want to give the impression that somebody new, competent, and able should have to twiddle their thumbs for years before they get promoted either -- this is just a preference of mine.

Personality:
    Candidate one is a long time member and as such has made a nice stable of friends of similar time served. Typically there's probably a cliquey friendship going on in the background, so this member will have little problem going to administrators like cl_out and Daniel. Heck they might even converse with them on a daily basis. This is pretty useful when it comes to moderation that exceeds the parameters of a CK.

Posting in the general forums has a benefit of always seeing who are newbies, and being able to keep tabs on troublemakers and people who are probably yellow flagged, so to speak.

Community Spirit:
    Not having much interaction with most of the newer members does strike me as questionable, but I am not sure how much weight I should put here (feel free to discuss). Captain Maxx Power suggested that new members may feel that such CKs are elitist, and for good reason. HOWEVER moderate posting in the forum would result in less of a presence, so the negative aspect of being seen as an ogre would be lessened. There are CKs that I don't know well at all for whatever reason, and I've been here for years -- this doesn't affect my view of them in a negative way.

Activity:
    Most of the forum activity does occur in the general categories and I understand those to be the most active forums.

Candidate three:

History: As stated above I prefer a member who has been around for many years. However I also didn't want to alienate new members. Regardless, a member of three years has been around much longer than it takes to be seen as a regular.

Personality: Regardless, the member has a very good history and will have many members immediately receptive of the notion of a promotion to be a CK. Since many gaming forum individuals also browse the rest of the general forums, there should be a good amount of receptive individuals. This contributes to a pleasant environment and a good go-to person to address member issues.

Activity: This individual is very active in the gaming forums, but it is not stated the person browses the specific Square/Enix video game forums (FF1-8, CT, etc). Only being active in one forum does give me pause though.

Community Spirit: Apparently doesn't participate in forum events and is low-key. These are not bad things, but could hinder visibility as well as newbie-friendliness. This is why I placed Candidate #3 lower.

Candidate five

Why one, three, but not two, four? Two seemed to be immature but had no redeeming qualities that justify the immaturity. Genuine immaturity versus facetiousness are two different things. Number four I am hesitant to say something outright as I have a strong opinion on who that description is based off of. I agree that such an individual can reform, especially if the anti-staff sentiments were facetious.

This individual is lacking in those troublesome qualities that require a specific instance where those qualities aren't really an hinderance, so I chose him/her.

History: Again, active poster for far longer than it takes to be a regular poster. After two years typically a great majority of members are aware of said individual.

Activity: Also, posting in every forum and being active in them all is indeed an amazing accomplishment. This means to me that most everybody is aware of this person and thus a promotion would result in a positive reaction throughout the forum.

Community Spirit: An active poster who has interesting, fun threads and ideas is an excellent person to maintain a positive atmosphere for new and existing members. I presume such a person would often have threads that span hundreds of replies from a variety of participants, so visibility into the forum is good. This however has the problem of perhaps too many threads and posts to keep up with.

Personality: One might get overwhelmed. This is situational in whether it's good or bad. Also this individual doesn't like confrontation. With so many good, interesting threads, confrontation is sure to arise. I tend to look for a person who is no-nonsense when it comes to approaching arguments and confrontations. A person who doesn't like confrontation is less willing to do what it takes to quell arguments.

My vote goes to Candidate one, then three, then five.

Blog Entries

My vote is 5, Maxx.

Candidate 1; (3) Crossblades, blackmage_nuke, Pureghetto
    Candidate 2; (0)
    Candidate 3; (3) Captain Maxx Power, Dynast-Kid, Araciel
    Candidate 4; (0)
    Candidate 5; (2) Chaos Is The Key, Kentarou

That's how we stand right now. We'll see what Jigsaw has to say.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I'm not saying you have to, but it would be simpler if Jigsaw were to vote 1 and 3, just to break the tie.

However if we have a three way tie, we'll just have to determine a course of action to weed out two of the contestants.

Blog Entries

After we've got our votes, I think we should discuss our reasoning more in-depth than we have instead of calling it a day and waiting.

Blog Entries

If i change my vote to 3 can we get on to reasoning?
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    If i change my vote to 3 can we get on to reasoning?
    Only if the votes work out to have 3 in the majority. We shouldn't just move on for the sake of it. You can still discuss if you want.

Blog Entries

Also, remember that it's not some kind of uber-respected rule that we need to do this in Mafia-Style voting. That's just how it came about, so there's really no restriction on changing your vote or something, so long as everyone knows your current stance on the matter. Also, we can still discuss even without the votes completed if you guys want to.