Thread: I am painting my bed

Default I am painting my bed

Hello, I am painting my bed; it is a captain’s type bed with drawers. I am painting it white maybe but I am not sure where the best place to get that paint is, do I need primer? How long will it take to paint it and then when is it dry? What Kind of brushes should I use? How many people should help, if any, and any other information possible would be great help.
    Last edited by juliatkarzon; 04-18-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    YOU ARE A SO CUTE

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've never painted a bed, but I can't imagine the kind of brush would matter much. You'd just want to use a big brush on big open areas, and a small brush if you have to paint close to a wall or do delicate detailed work. You'll probably need a couple of coats if you don't use a primer (this is speculation), and a finish will ensure you don't have to do it again anytime soon xD

I'd just get some paint at Lowe's. That's where we got the varnish for our wood floors.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

fine.. you dont let me have any fun leeza T__T
    Last edited by Aerith's Knight; 04-11-2008 at 03:07 AM.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am painting it white maybe but I am not sure where the best place to get that paint is, do I need primer?

Any paint store or hardware type store should have the right paint. I would primer it after sanding the bed slightly first.

How long will it take to paint it and then when is it dry?

It shouldn't take you more than a couple of days. Paint usually dries enough in a few hours for a second coat, but it depends on the paint. It should state it on the can.

What Kind of brushes should I use?

That also depends on your paint. There are brushes that are better for oil paint and some that are better for acrylic. I would use acrylic paint though. Oil takes longer to dry and needs a lot of ventilation while working with it.

How many people should help, if any, and any other information possible would be great help.

One person should be enough to paint a bed, but you'd probably have a better time if others helped out. It would also go much faster.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Well, a few years back, I painted the frame of my bed. I had to sand all the finish off, and then it took quite a few coats, because the wood just sucked all the paint up like a sponge. I suggest getting some people to help you unless you wanna make it a week-long project like I did. As for brushes, I used a regular rolling brush for the flat surfaces, and a couple of smaller paintbrushes to get the hard-to-reach areas. Good luck!