Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junction magic versus MP

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin Junction magic versus MP

...which is better? I actually think Junction magic is better.

MP magic, as we all know (since it's so popular) allows you to cast any spell you have trained, provided you have the mana to do it. So with a sufficiently large mana pool you can cast quite a few powerful spells. However if you run out of MP you waste a turn to refuel, and often a potion may not get you back to 100% to continue casting. In real-time video games this is less of a problem (you pot and keep casting) but in turn based RPGs like FF it cuts into your DPS.

Junction magic, on the other hand, allows you to stock a ridiculous amount of charges of magic spells (100 max per spell), and so, theoretically, you can cast substantially more than a MP caster. Also, and especially at earlier levels, this results in quite a disproportionate advantage. I typically spend the first few levels purposely getting into encounters, drawing 100x of all available spells for each member, and then running away. I pot if I have to, then do it again. Once I have gathered a good amount of spells, I can go out and fight much powerful mobs for more xp.

Then there's the option of junctioning magic to your weapon, and have things like a firey sword or what-have-you. However this can easily be translated to things like materia from FF7, so I am not decided whether this is definitively better. It did eventually make me almost indestructable though, and to me that's a good thing.

What do you guys think? I haven't really spoke up much about MP magic, but it's usually limited to just casting, and doesn't have as much of auxiliary uses.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like both, though overall I prefer MP. The main thing I like about the Junction system is that it's different. They took the time and effort to develop and implement something new, unlike the magic systems in previous FF titles. It was a good idea, and handled well. It also tied in nicely with the 'world' of FFVIII, the idea of para-magic and drawing spells as discrete 'units' of magical energy. The characters never gain the innate ability to use magic at will (except for the Quistis' and Selphie's Limit Breaks); rather they're dependent on having a selection of spells in stock, then using the junctioned GF as a means of manipulating those spells. Also, the idea of junctioning spells within a character's body, mind or weapon ties in quite nicely with the imaginary mechanics of the process.
    Sure, drawing 100 spells was tiresome, and setting up an elaborate series of powerful Junctions meant that casting spells became an inconvenience, because it weakened your character's stats. For that reason, I'm glad Junctioning hasn't replaced MP; but I'm also glad it was used for FFVIII.

An added bonus of Junctioning was the remarkably tidy battle screen. In nearly every FF, the battle screen is strewn with numbers, gauges and indicators of all kind. In VIII, there are three bits of info on the battle screen: Name, current HP, and the ATB gauge. It's just so clean. And if there was an MP gauge as well, part of that would've been lost.

i just dont like using majic at all
    prefer attacking
    especialy when casting a spell may lower your stats

I think Marky Tee pointed out my biggest problem with the junction magic. It will lower your stats to cast spells. I found by the end of the game, the only spell I used was Aura so I could use my limit breaks.

I enjoyed the actual system though.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

The Junction system is what makes FFVIII unique, and therefore I really like it. Of course, it can make you ridiculously strong within the first 4 hours of the game, but it's a great way to control your stats yourself, and just generally personalize everything.

I don't really know which one I prefer, though. I like 'em both.

Blog Entries

junction is why I like disc 1 in FF8

Draw system gets a bad rap primarily for 2 reasons, 1 of which is almost moot halfway through the game:

1) Storing up magic, as in the Draw system of FFVIII is a fine way to do things imo. It works, and has its benefits over a "one bar for all spells" type game. However the reason why storing of magic in FFVIII is stupid is because of the Junction system that it ties into. You can stockpile magic to use, sure. But short of using unjunctioned Cure/Curas to heal (instead of Curaga, since you want that on your Hp or Vit junction), and using Aura to boost Limits, and MAYBE Meltdown to lower defenses (but Doomtrain does it just well, and Meltdown is a decent junction spell), Stockpiled magic DOES NOT GET USED. Magic damage is not better in this game, considering its just as easy to beef up a Str stat, and hit for 5k+ per hit without using spells that might temporarily drop your stats the more you use it. Had the Draw/Stockpile magic system been used, without a junction system attached at the hip, FFVIIIs magic system would have gotten alot less bad rep.

2) The other reason people might complain about the Draw/Stockpile system is the repetitive nature of gaining the spells. Early in game, before you have lots of GFs, your main way to get the good spells is by constantly drawing, spending 5-10 minutes per battle to load up your entire group (Until everyone has Spirit junctioned high enough to always get 9 per Draw). But later in the game this is a moot point for 2 reasons: A) 90% of the spells you want can be refined via various GF abilities from items that you naturally obtain through grinding through storyline or for other rare components for Weapon Upgrading, and B) Once you get Leviathan from Norg I'm pretty sure, you then have 3 GFs with Spirit-J, which means everyone in your group from that point on should have 100+ Spirit, which means on majority of enemies, Draw will net 8-9 spells per draw, which means at worst you are looking at Drawing 10 times, maybe 11, to max out a spell as opposed to the 15-20 draws it usually takes in the first and second disk on a non-spirit-junctioned character

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love junctioning. It makes so much sense.

I think both MP system and junction system have their advantages and disadvantages . But I personally think junction system is better if you know how to use it .

Slanted and Enchanted Shotgunnova's Avatar

The impeccable junction system -- which is far-reaching and semi-complex, almost to a fault -- is just too dang easy to slant in the player's favor, even in the first few hours (Degenerator?). I can respect how much influence it has in the game, and how well-executed it is, but like sentiments already stated, I'm glad it hasn't seen further use within the series. Then again...anything would be better than boring ATBness.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I loved it!

Str8 Pimpin'

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Having recently started a new game of FFVIII, I've really grown to appreciate the merits of the Junction system. I think if you know what you're doing when you're junctioning the magic and how to get the most from it it can make the game pretty easy. Naturally to notice the real benefit from that you really need to be drawing 100 of each spell in battles which gets really boring after a while, just depends whether or not you consider it worth it, I suppose. The system itself is nice for a one off. I certainly enjoy using the junction system as a one-off, but overall I prefer MP. Whilst using junctioned magic in battle will decrease your stats and make you have to think that bit extra about whether or not you want to use a certain spell, it is pretty irritating knowing that in a pinch you might need to decrease your stats in order to just stay alive.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    The Junction system is what makes FFVIII unique, and therefore I really like it. Of course, it can make you ridiculously strong within the first 4 hours of the game, but it's a great way to control your stats yourself, and just generally personalize everything.

I don't really know which one I prefer, though. I like 'em both.
    I agree although i think overall i prefer MP.

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

I hate the Junction system. It's the worst part of VIII. It made magic essentially useless, since all your most powerful spells are tied to your stats and your physical attacks wind up doing far more damage. It also replaced level grinding with an even more tedious activity: spell grinding. How many hours of gameplay do people waste drawing spells over and over and over to get 100 of a particular spell? You can't even try to enjoy the combat system, 'cause you spend the entire time spamming a single ability. In fact, except for Limit Breaks, you spend pretty much the entire game spamming one ability (two if you like GFs).

The Junction system was great for making characters with godly stats. Not as good as X's Sphere Grid, IMO, but still great for loading out stats and it let you overpower your elemental/status defenses to insane levels too. But for an actual magic casting system, it sucked. Splitting magic between multiple purposes has never worked out well. It didn't work in XII (Quickenings were used far more than most spells were, leading magic to be largely underutilized), and it didn't work in VIII. Magic is magic, stop trying to give it other uses.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

A Lyrical Storm Is Coming TyphoonThaReapa's Avatar

You know guys, if you are a very good player when it comes to the game of FFVIII, you can actually junction weak spells and still max out your stats and use the strong spells freely without a game shark. And that's why junction is better than MP. (SPOILER)When it comes to Godmodding anyway...:rolleyes2
    A'yo son, TTR WAS HERE!!!
    (SPOILER)BITCHES