Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about an Artist you like/dislike!

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Relm Tell us about an Artist you like/dislike!

Tell us about a famous (or not so famous) artist that you like, or dislike. Include examples of their work!

I don’t have a favourite artist, so I’m going to tell you about an artist that I like. Most people will know of him already:

H.R Giger is a Swiss surrealist. He has uses various different types of mediums and has done many things. Giger has created Pen & Ink words, Oil works, Airbrush works and sculptures. H.R Giger has also designed furniture and creatures for films; the most famous probably being his design for Alien.

I enjoy his work because it is weird and wonderful; I love his attention to detail in his airbrush work. This is one of my favourite pieces of work by Giger, which is one of his airbrush works:

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am hopelessly in love with the works of Monet and Matisse. I adore Impressionist and Fauvist art styles, and I try to emulate both the colors of the Fauvists and the brush strokes and use of light of the Impressionists in to my work. Some good pieces:

I also love Edvard Munch (artist of The Scream), and Picasso when he went through his Cubist Stage of art:

Blog Entries

I support Rye's choices AND I'll add three more

ROTHKO

BOTTICELLI

Raphael

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rembrandt was awsomesauce.. I always enjoyed copy drawing his work.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Right now, I am totally enraptured by the work of a certain top fashion photographer.

Patrick Demarchelier - His work is timeless and ethereal and simply beautiful.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dislike: Jackson Pollock's art because there's nothing remotely special about his work. A five year old could splatter a few colors of a paint on a piece of paper with minimal effort.

Blog Entries

I agree with shiny that abstract art is total childswork and nothing art about it.

Blog Entries

WHAT?????? No way! Abstract art rocks because there is always something behind it

Blog Entries

If you have a pile of clay.. not even a heap, no just bricks of clay piled unto each other.. with a few lines made in them with a finger.. a 5 minute job.

It was abstract art sold for $40.000.. just pointless money waste.

better example.. a box.. a wooden box.

We thought it was a trashcan or something.. no, it was abstract art

RYE! how could you.. i saw the group thread.. so we're nothing but a challenge to you? :weep:

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I absolutely love Nighthawks by Hopper

But it is his only piece that I am familiar with, so I couldn't say whether I'm a big fan of him or just this one piece.

One artist I love is Jean-Léon Gérôme, who rejected impressionism and chose the route of neo-classicism. My favorite pieces by him:

Pygmalion and Galatea

A Muezzin's call to Prayer

But my favorite style of visual art is easily architecture. I could spam this up with a thousand buildings, to be honest. xD like to give one particular architect who I find fantastic.

That William Van Alen. Primarily famous for the Chrysler Building, which I personally rate as the single finest skyscraper in the world. It is a masterpiece, in my eyes, of art deco.

Go here for a good set of pics of the Chrysler Building. Some of the pictures themselves are gorgreous, although a Chryslaboo like me is wont to say that.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I'm a fan of Hieronymus Bosch, if only because me and my friend made up a song about him and me in GCSE Art;

Maxx Power and Hieronymus Bosch
    They don't seem terribly posh
    Even though they have a rolex watch
    It's Maxx Power and Hieronymus Bosch

There is no signature here. Move along.

Blog Entries

I really like Carl Critchlows work. I know he's a comic book artist, but his none comic book work is amazing. And, he's a real nics guy too!
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

The styles I like the most are probably Impressionism, Fauvism and Expressionism. Modern art in general is also just awesome, but really.. I like all art when it comes down to it. I could spend years just walking around in museums. Some examples of artists/works I like:

Van Gogh:

Anna Ancher:

Edvard Munch:

His "Madonna" is also beautiful.

Asger Jorn:

Michael Kvium:

There are many more, but those were some examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    I agree with shiny that abstract art is total childswork and nothing art about it.
    Define what makes art, art then.

Last time I checked anything visually stimulating (Bad or Good) and up for some type of interpretation is considered Art.

I'm a big fan of Trevor Brown. Unfortunately I can't really post much of his work here. You'll just have to check him out yourself. I consider that ample warning for following the link, obviously.