Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Twists on old Classics

Default New Twists on old Classics

Tim Burton is making a new Alice in Wonderland movie, I personally think this is a great idea, before I had ever heard of that he was making it I thought it would be a good idea to have a darker, more twisted version of Alice in Wonderland.

What do you think of Tim Burton taking on the Classic story? Are there any classic films or stories you would like to see done with a new, perhaps more serious or darker twist?
    Last edited by Dolentrean; 04-10-2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Zee Gads, I but and instead of in!
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've heard some awful casting rumors surrounding this movie. Just awful.

I really hope they go for an unknown actress for Alice, otherwise I don't think the whole suspension of disbelief thing will work so well. Tim Burton can be a genius, and so it'd be interesting to see what kind of dark places he goes with the story.

And if he casts Johnny Depp or his wife Helena Bonham Carter in this movie, I'm gonna punch him in the nuts.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Tim Burton's movies seem to either be really good or really bad, with no middle ground, so the prospect of this movie both excites and worries me.
    Figaro Castle

Is he really? That makes me very happy! I really dig Tom Burton, he's bitchin'... and I've always had a soft spot for Alice in Wonderland. If anyone should ever make a movie based on that book it should really be him. It's a match made in movie-based-on-a-book-heaven, really.

There's also another Alice movie in the works, with Sarah Michelle Gellar as the lead (although it's based on the video game by American McGee).. I presume that Burton's version will be more awesome, though.

Anywayz, topic: Hmm, a more serious/darker live-action version of The Little Mermaid, The Beauty and the Beast and The Hunchback of Notre Dame would also be neat. I really like those stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolentrean View Post
    Tim Burton is making a new Alice <STRIKE>and</STRIKE> Wonderland movie
    The last thing Dodgson's literary masterpiece needs is a trite and pretentious film reiteration.

Tim Burton should really keep his hands off of the works of others. Hasn't he done enough damage, already?

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Alice in Wonderland doesn't need a makeover. :gruffi:

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall banana View Post
    Alice in Wonderland doesn't need a makeover. :gruffi:
    Exactly.

Darker, more twisted?

Why?

What I like about the classic Alice In Wonderland story is that it is really open to interpretation. There are so many different ways of looking at the story in terms of subtext.

As for this movie, not too keen on the idea. I have yet to be disappointed by any Burton film (haven't seen all of them), but I know lots of aspects of the original story will be ignored in favour of style and attracting the Hot Topic crowd.

Classic stories I want remade: Pinocchio, and I know there was a live action rendition years ago, but I'm lazy and don't wanna look it up.

Jellyfish swim by.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pan's Labyrinth was inspired in part by Alice in Wonderland, and Pan's Labyrinth was absolutely stunning.

If Burton can transform the story and elevate it with grace and sophistication, it can be a really great thing to see. But FM has a point that Burton has a tendency to either be really great or really terrible with the work that he produces.

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    There's also another Alice movie in the works, with Sarah Michelle Gellar as the lead (although it's based on the video game by American McGee).. I presume that Burton's version will be more awesome, though.
    I wonder if that will ever get made. It's been on-and-off for so long Sarah even (half) joked she'll have to play the Queen because she'll be too old to play Alice.

I think this movie could be cool. I like Burton n' such. I'm not going to judge one way or another until I see some kind of trailer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Pan's Labyrinth was inspired in part by Alice in Wonderland, and Pan's Labyrinth was absolutely stunning.
    Great example, I agree with Miriel.
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

I've been waiting for Burton to do Alice in Wonderland. I'm excited for it. I think his off-the-wall style is really fitting of the story. Ever since American McGee's Alice, I've been pretty thirsty for some nice twisted Alice action in the movies.

As far as other movies I'd like to see with a darker twist: pretty much any classic fairy tale. They were all pretty smurfed up and dark in the first place, so it seems only natural to me.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I'm not a massive fan of Tim Burton, so I'll not hold my breath over this. No idea what I'd like to see remade. I'm more a fan of new ideas rather than rehashes of old ones.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    If Burton can transform the story and elevate it with grace and sophistication, it can be a really great thing to see. But FM has a point that Burton has a tendency to either be really great or really terrible with the work that he produces.
    What she said. *nod*

Also, Miriel, share your casting rumors? I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    I wonder if that will ever get made. It's been on-and-off for so long Sarah even (half) joked she'll have to play the Queen because she'll be too old to play Alice.
    They better make it. If it's any good it would be really good for her career... Yes, I am a Buffy fan :P