Thread: "Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God."

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Default "Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God."

I've noticed a lot of threads discussing the differences between the two versions of Final Fantasy Tactics, but, perhaps because I'm a geek when it comes to English, I was just wondering how people felt about the differences in the translation in particular, especially in regards to the new translations.

For example, a lot of people absolutely loved the quote "Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God." The new translation ditched this in favor of, "Forgive me. 'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I." I personally prefer the latter. It's far more elegant and still manages to keep the same meaning.

How do you feel about the translation? What old quotes do you miss? What new quotes do you prefer?

They changed the whole dialogue to be more in that tone tho. For the PSP version, the new line works better because the whole translation was redone. Personally, I rather like the original like because it just felt so "Delita" and really kinda set the stage for his actions later in the game. "Forgive me, tis your birth and faith that wrong you" sounds so.. I dunno, nice? Like hes honestly sorry that he is doing what he has to do. Whereas the line "Dont blame me, blame yourself, or god" is much more of a "deal with it" attitude, which I think fits Delita more than an apologetic tone

The first few words of each line really sets the mood and emotion to his action. "Forgive me" = I'm sorry, "Dont blame me" = Your problem, not mine- deal with it.

Delita is much more of a "deal with it" kind of guy than "I'm so sorry I had to do this" (At least thats how I see him)

^But I think he had a soft spot for Ovelia. If it had been anyone else he would have said stfu. In a more elegant way of course. I mean, I dont know if people would argue that he actually didnt care about Ovelia and was using her purely to become Queen. But I think he cared about Ovelia -and- used her to become Queen.

One thing I didnt like about FFT's script was the use of words with -this- in them. They used it too often and the eloquence was hindered by it a little bit.

I prefer the new version.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthanes View Post
    They changed the whole dialogue to be more in that tone tho. For the PSP version, the new line works better because the whole translation was redone. Personally, I rather like the original like because it just felt so "Delita" and really kinda set the stage for his actions later in the game. "Forgive me, tis your birth and faith that wrong you" sounds so.. I dunno, nice? Like hes honestly sorry that he is doing what he has to do. Whereas the line "Dont blame me, blame yourself, or god" is much more of a "deal with it" attitude, which I think fits Delita more than an apologetic tone

The first few words of each line really sets the mood and emotion to his action. "Forgive me" = I'm sorry, "Dont blame me" = Your problem, not mine- deal with it.

Delita is much more of a "deal with it" kind of guy than "I'm so sorry I had to do this" (At least thats how I see him)
    That would sum up the difference as I see it. And for the record I also prefer the original. I'm always a sucker for cold blunt one liners.

Try watching CSI: Miami one time!

Main character has good one-liners, heh !!!
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I felt that the original line was far more memorable, yet, at the same time, was less poetic and elegant than its newer counterpart.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

The newer translation is certainly closer to what would've actually been said. But I do prefer the original translation, mostly out of nostalgia.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

I definitely like the old dialogue better. The new translation did help to clear up some of the characters meanings in areas but I find that ironic as most of it is some funky double talk. I just don't don't think it's cute to be as wordy as possible when trying to express the most simple ideas.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll go against the norm here and say I actually enjoy the new translation better. The dialogue has better immersion and I feel it helps characterize better. Delita seems less of an ass hole and more of a revolutionary in the new translation. I also enjoy the better background depth given to characters, Agrias being a member of the Lionsguard instead of just the Royal guards (which is what she is) sounds better. It took awhile to get used to some translations but overall I feel it makes for a better experience overall. I really feel like I'm playing the game for the first time (except this time I know what I'm doing) and its been a fun ride so far. Then again, I'm a sucker for "ye old' english"

Nostalgia is fine and all but if its crap its crap and the PS1 FFT localization was definetly craptaculer:rolleyes2

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I also enjoy the better background depth given to characters, Agrias being a member of the Lionsguard instead of just the Royal guards (which is what she is) sounds better.
    I am not sure if I would call that a feature of the new translation, as the old translation had a naming convention problem — it stated in various places that Agrias was a member of a knighthood; however, the new translation makes that clearer by calling it something less generic and closer to the original —

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I also enjoy the better background depth given to characters, Agrias being a member of the Lionsguard instead of just the Royal guards (which is what she is) sounds better.
    I am not sure if I would call that a feature of the new translation, as the old translation had a naming convention problem — it stated in various places that Agrias was a member of a knighthood; however, the new translation makes that clearer by calling it something less generic and closer to the original —
    I know its not grand but, naming the knighthood sounds better than just saying she's a part of it. I don't know why, but adding title makes it sound more important. I also like hoy we now have Order of the Northern Sky and the Order of the Southern Sky cause it makes their rivalry sound more profound (granted the original is only due to the authors limiting space when translating) but Gafgarion coming from the Order of Eastern Sky makes the military sound much more connected. Basically, the original felt like they threw out names cause the Orders needed names, the translated shows how the military is quite organized and connected. The original game sometimes feels like a battle between city-states whose partnership has ended but with the new translation it is even more apparent its a civil war. I'm just saying the translation fleshes it out more to make it feel less confusing

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Yes, I agree. I think that the older translation included the names of the various organizations, but only transliterated from Japanese to English — that is why we had weird, foreign sounding names like the Hokuten Knights.

Wait, how does Delita's ne line sound nice? Thats like, the most hollow "I'm sorry" I've ever heard in my life. Based off that line, he's still kind of an ass.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

That is his personality in both the Playstation version and the Playstation Portable version. Regardless, when you are speaking to princess, you must mind your words whether you mean them or not!

I LOVE the original dialouge better. All this medieval drek is just pointless... It's basically Squares' way of trying to make it connect more to FFXII rather than FFXII should have tried to connect more to FFT.

Since most 'newbies' who totally ignored the original FFT in favor of FFVIII (UGH! 'Projectile-vomits') or FFVII (cash-cow milked dry, finally I hope).

It's because of this dialouge change that I JUST CAN'T get into this game like I used to... It's like going to the movie version of your favorite book from long ago that's just been... ARGH! I find myself trying to remember the original Engrish translation saying... Wait, they didn't say that...

It ain't hate but loved by the original fans who are gonna buy this game, then don't ruin it... It's like taking the "Clumsy Storm-Stooper" from Star Wars: A New Hope"; or "Take that you Spoony Bard" out of FFIV.

What really it's making it difficult for me to keep playing is I'm afraid of how MUCH they've change the religious subject of the story... It raised great questions. And I'd hate to see them 'tone it down' or deviate from that original plotline.