Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFII's role in the growing of the franchise.

Default FFII's role in the growing of the franchise.

Imagine this for just a second. If Final Fantasy II had flopped horribly in Japan, would our favorite characters ever have existed? Cloud and Sephiroth would just be doodles in Amano's sketchbook, perhaps. Maybe another series would have sprung up in Final Fantasy's place. Do you think when Square made Final Fantasy II that they were just looking for a quick buck based on the surprising popularity of the first roleplaying game, or do you think that perhaps they knew what they had control of from the beginning, an awesome staple in the roleplaying game genre?

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Final Fantasy's success in 1987 was unexpected, so if FF II had flopped, it would probably have been recorded as the so-and-so sequel of a good game. But we wouldn't be here discussing it, so we wouldn't miss the series because there would be nothing to miss.
    Incidentally, there's a chance that the Dragon Quest series would have been hyped a lot more in the States, and now we would all be DQ fanboys in a DQ forum.

Incidentally, I love Dragon Quest. =D

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is it any good? I only saw DQ 8, but I'm not sure it's my kind of game. What's your say?

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

It would suprise me if they anticipated that it would be the first of 12+ sequels. Maybe modestly sucessful, but not that sucessful.

I doubt even Lucus himself foresaw that he'd be able to make more than three Star Wars movies.

Am I the only one that found DQ to be really friggin' hard? I've played DQI and DQII, and they were hella hard. Maybe I just sucked at them.
    so many flashing lights

Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    Am I the only one that found DQ to be really friggin' hard? I've played DQI and DQII, and they were hella hard. Maybe I just sucked at them.
    DQ games are indeed hard. But they're still awesome

If FF II would have flopped, the rest of FF series would have never existed. We either would've gotten another series or DQ would've been a lot more popular

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Its too hard to say what would happen, I would think that JRPGs would probably be snuffed out and instead we would only have boring "infinite hours of stat tweaking for no smurfing point" western RPGs. I know FFIV would be a very different game cause FFII seems to be its heaviest influence.

Since Final Fantasy was made because it was their final game(which was fantasy-based), I think it'd be ironic if their sequel ended up being their last game. :P
    MYSTIC QUEST!!!!!1 ... ok, nevermind..

View my lame comics! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkJf1YLHpgs

Later Dragon Quest games are easier than the early ones, in my experience. I didn't experience much trouble in DQV, and I haven't experienced much in DQVIII yet either, although I'm still only about twenty hours into it. But yes, the DQ series is well worth playing, though to date the only ones I've completed are DQI and DQV.

Some people here feel that FFII was the so-and-so sequel of a good game. I haven't really played much of either, so I can't comment.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

I think they were just ridin' the wave, possibly while developing better ideas for FFIII and the job classes and all that. But it wasn't really a flop, and introduced significant character development and a more complex story.

As an RPG I think Final Fantasy II is amazingly smurfing awesome.
    As a Final Fantasy, however, it's just so-so.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Standing on the shoulders of giants. FF2 blazed the way for so much that the franchise holds dear.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Imagine this for just a second. If Final Fantasy II had flopped horribly in Japan, would our favorite characters ever have existed?
    >>> We would be playing Square's Tom Sawyer XII right now..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

FFII introduced the side view without the boxed in menus and added more character development as opposed to the last game.