Thread: Name changes unnecessary? Bad for the game?

Default Name changes unnecessary? Bad for the game?

In the original release of FFIII, the main four characters had no preset names, but in the DS version Square decided to give them default names like Luneth and Arc. What do you think about this and other changes that Square made to the game?

I feel that of course since they own the patents and copyrights and have complete artistic control over the game to make changes, they have the right to utilize it all. I don't really think it's necessary to change things however, beyond your standard bug fixes and maybe some graphical touchups.

i dont think its all that important
    cause they failed to give them any personality whatsoever
    and the fact that you can changer thier names anyway
    theres pretty much no change in that aspect to me

The whole point of Squenix remaking FF3 for the DS was to market it to a new generation of gamers who spill applesauce all over their bibs whenever they see NES graphics. They probably figured that the fans of next-generation FF games need a "face" for their characters. Unlike FF1, where the heroes will (probably) always be simply "light warriors", the revamped FF3 probably would have felt too weird with nameless-kid-heroes.

Sadly, though, any backstory or personality for the quartet was simply shoed in during the their introduction.

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't care that much. All they gave them was the briefest backstory and that's all.

The names didn't bug me that much. The character designs did, though. Looking at Refia in my game pissed me off. D:
    so many flashing lights

They seemed to have fallen asleep on the keyboard when naming them. Luneth? Puh-lease.

I would've prefered a direct NES port; maybe upping the graphics a bit like in IV GBA's case.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    The whole point of Squenix remaking FF3 for the DS was to market it to a new generation of gamers who spill applesauce all over their bibs whenever they see NES graphics. They probably figured that the fans of next-generation FF games need a "face" for their characters. Unlike FF1, where the heroes will (probably) always be simply "light warriors", the revamped FF3 probably would have felt too weird with nameless-kid-heroes.

Sadly, though, any backstory or personality for the quartet was simply shoed in during the their introduction.
    If I want the same game I'll just play the NES version xD

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I don't mind the attempt to give the four main characters from personality, although I'd prefer if their character designs weren't so ghastly. Luneth's "three huge buckles" ensemble is probably the worst offender.

As for name changes in general, though, I have to say that taking Unne, a name for which there is already plenty of precedent throughout the series, and changing it to "Unei" was a terrible lapse of judgment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    The whole point of Squenix remaking FF3 for the DS was to market it to a new generation of gamers who spill applesauce all over their bibs whenever they see NES graphics.
    Then it was a failure, because the game is still too clunky and difficult for today's gamers.

Just the way I like it (:

They could use a bit of depth but they are some groovy cats I thought.

At least they tried lol
    "When you do things right, people won't notice you've done anything at all.""
    -God-

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

This thread is nearly a year old. I'm very sorry, but you can always make a new one.