Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Zidane were black and still had his tail...would FFIX be rascist?

Default If Zidane were black and still had his tail...would FFIX be rascist?

Discuss

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Fun fact: you can be racist to people whose skin colour isn't black too.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i dont even see how that would be racist.. how does your mind work?

lol, I was only kidding. Of course I know that mirage.

I was wondering though if people would have called it rascist because back in the day white supremacists used to call black people 'monkeys'. To have a black character with a monkey's tail would perhaps seem rascist to some people playing the game.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Black people do have tails, what's the problem.

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

Racist and then some
    ...Geddit?

I hope this doesnt sound racist but if its ok for a white person to have a tail then it should be ok for a black person to have one isnt it? Everyones supposed to be equal nowadays

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

Yeah, I know it wouldnt be rascist. But I wonder if they had done that...would people have accused them of racism?

clicky clicky clicky

Slanted and Enchanted Shotgunnova's Avatar

At the turn of the century, having a black RPG lead in Square's flagship series would probably have raised eyebrows for other reasons, especially for a character as well-balanced as Zidane. It wouldn't be wrong in any way, but y'can bet there'd be those scrutinizing the game for the slightest bit of parallel to racial stereotypes. Heck, maybe if this scenario occured back in the day, it would have sent the company into a new creative direction, instead of the spinoff-churning cash machine it's become.

A black charecter with a tail, whose prime ability is to steal things...ya i bet they would have got into a scandel with some people about racism

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hahaha. You guys are too funny! I don't think the game itself would be racist, just whoever developed Zidane would be.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I could see people objecting to racial streotypes in FFVII or especially Square's Tom Sawyer, but I didn't see anything like that in FFIX.

I see your point though.

...I wouldn't consider it to be racist. Still, I'm sure someone would have kicked up a fuss about it.

*snip*
    I don't think so - Flying Mullet

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Fun fact: you can be racist to people whose skin colour isn't black too.
    Fun fact: the conception that you can be "racist" toward someone is a popular misuse of the word, as racism is the belief in the supremacy of one race. You can't say "I'm nationalist against Israel." I think the word you're looking for is prejudice.

Anyhow, ViviSteiner, alot of white people today STILL call black people monkeys, such as scientists who strive to use reason and logic to prove that there is in fact an evolutionary ladder for what anthropologists would rather call "anatomically modern human beings". So don't think it's over, we still a long way to go.

As far as the question, I don't know, but they never did... I guess it depends on what color(s) the genomes would have, because if the only black character in the game had a tail, that might be a problem.