Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: IX VS. VII and VIII

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by hhr1dluv View Post
    To be honest, I think my gamer friends felt that it was the monkey-tailed hero, the cute black mage, the knight that crashes into the castle wall, the jump roping hippo, and the generally deformed characters that made them think of FFIX as childish, probably because the game seemed like a cartoon. I don't think they took story into account.
    I certainly hope that your friends have never enjoyed a Legend of Zelda game or a Mario game because they're a lot more childish than Final Fantasy IX is. If you want to make superficial judgements based on the appearances of the characters (i.e. looking like cartoon characters) then you're really missing out on the real gem of a game that is FFIX.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Yeah, I wasn't sure of how to counter Vivisteiner's example, so I tried that one. I suppose I could have said something like, "There is no God! Waaaaaa!" That seems unnecessarily inflammatory.

It all comes down to my liking KH better than FFIX. I like KH more because it was the game that got me interested in games other than platformers.

Fine: KH = God the Father. Steiner = God the Son. Rest of FF universe = The Holy Ghost.

EDIT: I REPEAT...I AM NOT THE ONE WHO HAS A PROBLEM WITH FFIX. I have not played enough of it to have a conclusive say about any aspect of it. I feel like everyone keeps assuming that I hate it just because I was mentioning what others have thought about it.

And what's wrong with someone thinking a game is childish? Honestly? I can enjoy a game plenty and still think of it as childish. We're all negatively connoting this word for no reason.
    I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII: DoC, VII: CC, VIII, X, X-2, XII, KH, KH:CoM, Re:CoM, KHII, CT

^By saying its childish it means that the story (generally) doesn't deal with deep issues in a mature way. Thats just not true for FFIX.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Okay, fine. I'll admit that the word childish is often used in a dismissive manner, and usually describes something as silly or immature.

However, childish also refers to something that befits a child. As a huge fan of children's literature (I'm 21), I tend not to immediately dismiss something as weak or silly just because it's intended for children. So, I do not automatically take the word 'childish' as insulting.

Just so people can stop making assumptions about my feelings toward FFIX, here's what I actually think. I have played FFIX up to Burmecia. I enjoyed what I played, though I did not enjoy it as much as I enjoyed FFX or FFVII. Obviously, I have not finished the game, so it's very possible that I could grow to like it a lot more. I remember the game seeming a lot more lighthearted on the surface, but it still had serious parts. But then, ALL Final Fantasies have lighthearted and serious moments.
    I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII: DoC, VII: CC, VIII, X, X-2, XII, KH, KH:CoM, Re:CoM, KHII, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post
    ^By saying its childish it means that the story (generally) doesn't deal with deep issues in a mature way. Thats just not true for FFIX.
    Yes. The Beatrix/Steiner/Vivi/Freya storyline was VERY deep. My gosh, I didn't fully understand until recently.

However, childish also refers to something that befits a child. As a huge fan of children's literature (I'm 21), I tend not to immediately dismiss something as weak or silly just because it's intended for children. So, I do not automatically take the word 'childish' as insulting.
    Yeah, some 'childrens' literature is awesome. Just because its targeted at children doesn't mean its silly. Although FFIX isnt targeted at children.

Just so people can stop making assumptions about my feelings toward FFIX, here's what I actually think. I have played FFIX up to Burmecia. I enjoyed what I played, though I did not enjoy it as much as I enjoyed FFX or FFVII. Obviously, I have not finished the game, so it's very possible that I could grow to like it a lot more. I remember the game seeming a lot more lighthearted on the surface, but it still had serious parts. But then, ALL Final Fantasies have lighthearted and serious moments.
    You should play it some more! Burmecia is right at the beginning.

FFIX is more lighthearted than most, but I enjoyed that aspect of it. As you said, all FFs have elements of both.

Yes. The Beatrix/Steiner/Vivi/Freya storyline was VERY deep. My gosh, I didn't fully understand until recently.
    Yeah! Every time I play it through I learn something new.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think FFIX had its depressing moments too :P Burmecia, Alexandria's and Limblum's destruction still depress the crap out of me :P

No mention of the Black Waltz #3?

Thats personally my favorite FF IX Scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    I think FFIX had its depressing moments too :P Burmecia, Alexandria's and Limblum's destruction still depress the crap out of me :P
    Dont make me cry. Please. Ive done enough of it already.

No mention of the Black Waltz #3?

Thats personally my favorite FF IX Scene.
    That FMV was sick. I love it when Vivi does this:

clicky clicky clicky

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker
    Of course not FF VII, but I'm not sure about VIII.

FF VII is one of the biggest selling games ever made.

However many fans of the game admit its because they though Sephiroth looks awesome.
    Who? Who has actually stated "the only reason I liked FFVII is because I thought Sephiroth looked cool"? When I made a thread asking why people liked it, the #1 reason was STORY.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker
    Point being, FF VII has those kind of sales because a lot of people are superficial. And again, not all the fans are like this, but there are a good number of them.
    This is an attempt to explain why people cannot possibly have a different opinion than you do for legitimate reasons. The inability to relate to different people and perspectives is a clear indicator of underdevelopment as a human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    And Vivisteiner, your points are duly noted. However, as sappy as the love between Squall and Rinoa was in FFVIII, the love story between Zidane and Garnet was IMMENSELY cornier. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I would still say it was cornier. That's what gets me about IX fans and self-proclaimed "old-schoolers", that everyone usually overlooks how IX prominently featured a love story, and it was at some times more unbearable than VIII's. The only difference is that it wasn't on the logo.
    The problem people have with the Squall-Rinoa relationship is because they fit together like Paine fits with Rikku and Yuna...that is to say, any real person of Squall’s disposition would have strangled Rinoa in the first disk.

He goes through the second disk slowly but surely chipping away his solitary resolve but even during the Garden Battle against Galbadia he demonstrated a distinct lack of focus - He might have grown to care more about Rinoa but he didn’t put that above everything else.

But then...WABAM!
    Disk 3 comes, she is in a coma and NOTHING else matters but him being with her.

Now Zidane and Garnet’s romance is much more smoothly integrated into the plot. Zidane plays the part of the flirty suitor and Garnet responds with a dignified distance. She isn’t outright harsh to his advances but she’s not receptive to them either.

However, as time goes by and each of the two develop, they grow closer and closer together. Zidane comes to realize Garnet is more than just a crush - she’s the woman of his dreams. Garnet comes to realize just because she’s destined to be Queen doesn’t mean she can’t rely on others.

Both Zidane and Garnet have to finish developing their own characters before their love story can reach its conclusion.

This fact is distincty lacking in FFVIII....Squall and Rinoa’s characters only evolve through the love story. Th elove story is not the peak of their progression...it’s the only way they do progress. You wind up with two characters who have distincty less personality than Zidane and Garnet who both perfected their progression before they truly “got together” if you will.

And your connection to the stages of grief/depression was very interesting, I give you points for that. But c'mon, for Zidane to be all cocky and defiant, then all of a sudden turn into Mr. Self-Loathing, even being mean to Vivi and Eiko, then all of a sudden being Mr. Upbeat again, it was all very unbelievable,
    He wasn’t cocky. He was pissed off and confused. Confusion and sadness often spawn anger...Garland was the person Zidane could dump all his rage on. He spend shis entire time in Bran Bai confused and angry, walking passed the other characters in a sort of daze. He finally gets the dreadful truth revealed to him and of course responds to it by getting pissed off.

But to add to all of it, the reason why he goes back to Mr. Positivity, is because he's reminded of his friends!!! Awww, isn't that special...
    Kinda like Cloud in the Lifestream? Kinda like the only thing that could keep Squall and the others together through time was love and togetherness?

Again, IX is one of my favorite games of all time, not just FF, but make no mistake, this is the Walt Disney installment of the franchise.
    Tell me, in what Walt Disney production did you see a war-torn city with a girl wandering around asking where her parents are? See a woman moving around, asking who is there because her eyes had been burned out? How about untold scores of people getting vaporized or eaten by eidolons?
    More people are killed in FFIX than any of the other FFs short of maybe FFVI.
    First off, the argument can go either way about the two games, but the loves story was featured prominently in both. I'm not going to try to put up an argument about VIII's, but I will say that the game makes it clear from the very beginning that Squall is a character who says one thing but thinks another.

Also, I can understand how you might think Zidane/Garland scene is believable, but the facts clearly go the other way to me. Up until the point the screen went black, Zidane had been acting the same way he had throughout the entire game, defiant and sarcastic to the bad guys, then all of a sudden he starts asking questions.

And I just wanted to mention, Cloud got out of the lifestream when he finally "found" himself and, as MLK would say, the truth set him "free". And yes, in VIII they needed the power of love and friendship to stay together at the end, but that worked, because Laguna was a corny guy.

Finally, I just want to say that your standards for defining a child's movie/game are ungrounded. PLENTY of dark moments happen in Disney movies, Bambi's mother dies, and that was pretty damn sad.

Your kill counts are a little off, too. More people died in the Shinra building than in the entire game of FFVI. Sorry, I had to get that out.
    Last edited by Bolivar; 04-24-2008 at 08:15 PM.

Also, I can understand how you might think Zidane/Garland scene is believable, but the facts clearly go the other way to me. Up until the point the screen went black, Zidane had been acting the same way he had throughout the entire game, defiant and sarcastic to the bad guys, then all of a sudden he starts asking questions.
    Remember Garland and his talk of memories? The most plausible explanation is that this encounter triggered some of those memories that lay dormant within Zidane's brain. When Zidane told the story of the person who looked for his home, that was a metaphor for himself. The opening theme tune is 'The Place I'll Return to Someday'. There is no doubt that upon arriving in Terra he would have felt some strong connection - something which he knew he could not deny. That caused confusion in his mind as well as the grim realisation that Garland was being truthful. It was a true revelation - the home he was looking for all this time was Terra. And he didnt like what he heard about it and himself. The build up to that sudden transformation in character started early. I would say it started at the Black Mage Village when Zidane first talks about his quest to find where he belonged.

Finally, I just want to say that your standards for defining a child's movie/game are ungrounded. PLENTY of dark moments happen in Disney movies, Bambi's mother dies, and that was pretty damn sad.
    Good point. I remember having nightmares about Bambi's mother dying. Nevertheless, it would be extremely difficult to argue that Bambi deals with issues that are anywhere as complex as FFIX. Hell, I would say that FFIX is the most mature Final Fantasy that I have played, thematically. Save perhaps FFXII.

First off, the argument can go either way about the two games, but the loves story was featured prominently in both. I'm not going to try to put up an argument about VIII's, but I will say that the game makes it clear from the very beginning that Squall is a character who says one thing but thinks another.
    I haven't played FFVIII enough to really argue this. My memory of this was poor. All that seemed to happen was that one minute Squall didnt give a damn about her, and the next he was head over heels in love. Rinoa also pissed me off from the start with possibly the worst opening line ever.

This is an attempt to explain why people cannot possibly have a different opinion than you do for legitimate reasons. The inability to relate to different people and perspectives is a clear indicator of underdevelopment as a human being.
    While I wouldnt really go with his arguments so much. It is true that people are shallow when being prejudiced agains FFIX. Prejudices against the art style, the tail, the setting etc were very common and extraordinarily stupid.

FFVII also had the advantage of a massive advertising campaign, being the first 3D final fantasy and being the first Final Fantasy for a brand new generation of gamers. It is a widely held theory that people's favourite Final Fantasy tends to be their first one.

clicky clicky clicky

The whole Alexandrian army are women! whats up with that!

Not being sexist- just wondering where the men are lol

^The men are under the command of Adelbert Steiner! A well equipped, organised and powerful army, the Knights of Pluto are truly a force to be reckoned with!

The fact that they are slightly outnumbered is of no consequence because each one of them could take on five other women soldiers at least.

clicky clicky clicky

^The men are under the command of Adelbert Steiner! A well equipped, organised and powerful army, the Knights of Pluto are truly a force to be reckoned with!

The fact that they are slightly outnumbered is of no consequence because each one of them could take on five other women soldiers at least.
    I thought the knights of pluto were just in charge of the protection of the royal family? we never see them in Cerlya or anything :S

^Well protection bassically means they do what Brahne tells them to do. If protection involves fighting wars then they would do that. They are not bodyguards or anything. The reason you dont see them in Cleyra was because they were disbanded when Steiner, the Captain, left. Beatrix and her knights took over full mantle of doing what the Queen wanted.

clicky clicky clicky