Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: IX VS. VII and VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    FFIX is great, end of story. Vivi + Kuja + Garland + Brahne + Garnet = amazingly written characters.

Although, no character in the history of ever will be better than Steiner. EVER.
    There. Corrected for clarification.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Lightning Fast Speed! Hyperion4444's Avatar

It wasn't a Kitase game unlike VII, VIII, X, X-2, VIIC, XIII.

I'll just throw this up as a fairly simple answer for Super Sephiroth.

As a British gamer, I would expect FFIX to bounce off you somewhat. It's full of references and nods to games we were not supposed to have played at that point (other than through emulation... naughty me!) so don't listen to anyone outwardly trying to give you any crap for it. As much as I love FFIX for its "oldskool FF pastiche" feel, many of my peers just didn't get it. They thought Vivi was totally original and when they saw me playing FFI they were all "Wow it's Vivi!" and I'd say "No it's not! Vivi's one of these!"

That was a long time ago of course; a lot of people in the UK have actually played the first six games now, to what seems to be quite a mixed reception. DoS wasn't available for very long, III got the "We don't know what all the fuss was about" treatment and IV, V and VI on the PSX were reviled for their slow loading times and dated graphics... I think I only saw the GBA versions on shelves for a couple of months as well.

So FFIX is a game that people where I come from will either love for its more magical feel, or not get at all for being based on games they didn't play.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion4444 View Post
    *snip*
    Will you stop insulting people? -Ko

I loved everything about Freya's character design, except how her face was the exact same color as her hankerchief thing. It made her face kinda confusing. Well, until after the Beatrix scene, then it became fairly obvious xD

Quote Originally Posted by The Crystal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastian View Post
    IX is WAY better than VII. Don't know about VIII because after trying VII when it first came out and thought "Um . . . this is NOT Final Fantasy!" I was reluctant to try any new FF games game out until I heard everyone saying how like the "old games" IX was. I played it and loved it! I still haven't bothered with giving VII a go.

After VI, they should have started a new series called Final Sci-Fi and left my FF alone. :P
    If FFVII is not like the "old games", neither is FFVI. Magitech Armors, factories, experiments, robots, etc.

The "old games" stoped at FFV, not FFVI.
    I'd disagree. The Magitech Armors, and factories where actually a smaller portion of the game, and definitely not the most memorable sections.

whats happened to my thread? lol its been moved.

I suppose what a lot of people have been trying to say is that theres 2 different sorta FFs (pre-PS2), the old school NES and SNES ones and the PS ones. Coming from a generation where i was only just old enough to understand and play 7 and 8, to me they are THE final fantasies, what i know and love. and then 9 goes back to the old school roots from the NES and SNES days which is why i didn't enjoy it as much.

so it kinda depends on what generation you're from, as i'm sure the majority of the younger generation (people in late teens to early twenties) may prefer 7 and 8 to 9

thoughs?

I'm 15 and I enjoy the "classic" "modern" and a mix of the two all equally. To me, it's the plot and gameplay that matter, setting has almost no influence on my enjoyment of the games. Gun to my head, I prefer the classic medieval games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah i didn't notice this got moved either...

Quote Originally Posted by _yeojina_ View Post
    Well, it's been quite a while since I've played VII and VIII, and so my opinion may not be the most accurate there is. However, I would just like to post it here.

I concentrate a lot on character development and plotline when I'm playing RPGs. Although VII was rather enjoyable, I didn't exactly like having to tolerate Cloud's ongoing lamentations about his uselessness and Sephiroth's rather annoying clones. I was rather glad that Aerith/Aeris died, as I found her rather annoying. In fact, I found character development had slacked off in this game.
    Actually, Cloud is one of the most extreme cases of character development in the series, but it's very erratic and somewhat hard to spot. In the beginning, he's Zack. He acts like a douche, but he's not an emo whiny baby, nor is he COMPLETELY uncaring. Then, as Sephiroth steps back into his life and starts manipulating him, he becomes more insecure and tried blocking everyone out (which is UNDERSTANDABLE, people, I mean the guy's life is a series of train wrecks, with the only person's life I can even think of comparing it to is Big Boss from MGS) After Aeris/th dies, he becomes moody, begins to doubt himself and even begins to hate himself for failing to protect his friend. But then, as Tifa helps him sort out his life (with help from Aeris, according to Maiden) he begins to accept the past and moves on, forming his own personality, which is still somewhat similar to Zack's. So yeah, he goes through mega-development. And btw, I hated aeris too, but even moreso in KHII and CC (AH! THE SKY! AH! SOLDIER! AH! A BUG!! WAAAAAAAH!!!)

IX is great,
    VIII is excellent (cept junctioning grrr)
    and VII is in a completely different league
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Lightning Fast Speed! Hyperion4444's Avatar

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion4444 View Post
    Basing a game only on who made it is ignorant and stupid considering it says nothing about the game.

I loved everything about Freya's character design, except how her face was the exact same color as her hankerchief thing. It made her face kinda confusing. Well, until after the Beatrix scene, then it became fairly obvious
    Hey, if you like the game, so be it.
    All I said is that it wasn't a Kitase game.

Kind of pointless to bring this tread to General Final Fantasy since it's been in the FFIX Forums for ages.
    Of course, it be obvious to point out most people would post more in the forum of their favorite game.

FFVII & FFVIII were better IMO.

who gives a freaking crap that it wasn't a kitase game? are you like romantically interested in kitase or what? you're always saying that junk. there were PLENTY of games in the series that kitase had nothing to do with, that were still good, some of the best. including IX. and how could you include XIII in your list? it's obviously not out yet and you know next to nothing about it. just because kitase's involved doesn't necessarily mean it'll be good, either. not that i'm knocking kitase. it's just annoying that you act like kitase is god, and that everything he touches is gold and everything he doesn't touch is crap. IX was a great game. VII and VIII were both really good too, but if i had to pick a favorite out of the ps1 era final fantasies, i'd pick IX. and tactics.

Formerly NewBlackMage Fate Fatale's Avatar

My two cents:
    IX has the highest overall rating of all Final Fantasy games to date.

"Everything has a purpose. It's your life's mission to find yours."

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Fate Fatale View Post
    My two cents:
    According to what? I love FFIX, but I hate skewed statistics.

seeing as how kuja is wearing a thong, and therefore cannot take him seriously, i wil agree that 7 and 8 were the best ones and i grew up with them.

BUT zidane has a tail, thus making it more fantasy like. i just think it was more like the earlier ones, and so 7 and 8 were out of place actually.
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

Formerly NewBlackMage Fate Fatale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fate Fatale View Post
    My two cents:
    According to what? I love FFIX, but I hate skewed statistics.
    I wrote a paper on Final Fantasy games a few years back and found these statistics many places; with FFIX having a rating of 9.8 and VII and VIII with 9.5. However after looking it up to double check, it seems it isn't so anymore. Never mind that then, it's still an amazing game. :P

"Everything has a purpose. It's your life's mission to find yours."