Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: IX VS. VII and VIII

Default IX VS. VII and VIII

Is it just me or was IX a bit "Meh" compared to its to predecesors?

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it wasn't in the same league as VII and VIII. Almost as though it was trying too hard, cos the others were effortlessly cool in a sense.

I mean I can be standing on the world map, and it just doesn't feel like the FF I know and love really.

Anyone else agree (or Disagree?)

SS

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Others would argue that Final Fantasy IX is much more true to Final Fantasy than either FFVII or FFVIII. As the last installment of the series on the PlayStation, FFIX was a farewell to a great many things. As such, it hearkens back to the series before FFVII and FFVIII (and perhaps even FFVI if you want to push it that far). While I think trying to define a "true" Final Fantasy is ridiculous, it's undeniable that FFIX turned back to the series' earliest roots.

This isn't a thread about which of these games is better (since FFIX is my favorite, my stance on that matter should be obvious), but rather about whether nor not FFIX feels like a Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy IX is filled with references to previous titles in the series. Since you exclusively mentioned FFVII and VIII as the ones you know and love, I'm going to assume you don't have much experience with the series outside of those titles. As such, you're missing out on a great deal of what makes FFIX truly great. Sure, you'll pick up on a couple of the little references to Cloud and Squall or others, but you're missing on a lot of the little things.

For your reference: All the references to previous FF games in FFIX.

Anyway, I think you're grossly misinformed when you say that FFIX doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy. FFIX is more of a "classic" Final Fantasy than FFVII or VIII could ever hope to be (although they're not subtle about actively departing from what had been the formula up until about FFV; it's arguable FFVI started the trend by introducing a more blatantly steampunk setting).

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'd strongly disagree. I think that Final Fantasy IX is closer to Final Fantasy and its roots than FFVII and FFVIII were. IX itself was a tribute to the series as a whole with references and a deliberate sense of nostalgia in the way it was presented and in many of bits of back story and environment of the game.

Having recently started replaying FFVIII, I can say that that game seems like much more of a radical departure from Final Fantasy than IX did. I actually think that IX is superior to VIII and depending on my mood, better than VII as well. I'll admit that I got more out of IX second time around (having then played I, IV, V and VI) and so if you're not as experienced in the earlier games, I think it'd be well worth taking a look at them and coming back to IX to see if you appreciate it more. I know I did.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I'd strongly disagree. I think that Final Fantasy IX is closer to Final Fantasy and its roots than FFVII and FFVIII were. IX itself was a tribute to the series as a whole with references and a deliberate sense of nostalgia in the way it was presented and in many of bits of back story and environment of the game.

Having recently started replaying FFVIII, I can say that that game seems like much more of a radical departure from Final Fantasy than IX did. I actually think that IX is superior to VIII and depending on my mood, better than VII as well. I'll admit that I got more out of IX second time around (having then played I, IV, V and VI) and so if you're not as experienced in the earlier games, I think it'd be well worth taking a look at them and coming back to IX to see if you appreciate it more. I know I did.
    I agree with this, IX is what a Final Fantasy should, Although VII and IX are my top 2 Final Fantasys

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

Judging by my name (and perhaps my reputation) you may be able to predict what Im going to say. I love Final Fantasy IX - in my mind it is the best Final Fantasy out of the ones I have played. Certainly it is very different when compared to FFVII and FFVIII both thematically and in terms of the setting. But what it does, in my opinion, is explore philosophical issues in a deep and invigorating way - in a way no other FF has done to the same extent.

FFIX is also really funny, has brilliant fantasy and amazing music. When I compare it to FFVII and FFVIII it just seems to have that extra fun factor to it. I could go on for ages, but your original post wasnt really specific enough for me to know what to focus on. I'll just leave my post like this for the moment.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

I'm being out voted Nooo!

lol

Originally Bespoken by Ouch!

Since you exclusively mentioned FFVII and VIII as the ones you know and love, I'm going to assume you don't have much experience with the series outside of those titles.
    I have played/owned FF1, FF2 (PSX/PSP) FF3 (DS) FF6 (PSX) FF10 and FF12 (PS2) and the spin offs FFVII: DOC FFVII:CC

As my Supervisor at work says- To Assume is to make an Ass out of U and Me lol

I can see where your all coming from, I just feel that because 7 and 8 are the ones I grew up with (being 18 now) they feel like THE Final Fantasies, IX felt more like KH, a lot more child-like you know?

Final Fantasy IX is cool in its own way. It didn't have to be futuristic like the others to be cool. It had it's own flavor, more like the final fantasies back in the day. It is personally tied for first with VII for me, but the characters in this game are waay more relatable than VII and leaps and bounds more than VIII. VIII's character development was quite poor.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sepiroth View Post
    I'm being out voted Nooo!

lol

Originally Bespoken by Ouch!

Since you exclusively mentioned FFVII and VIII as the ones you know and love, I'm going to assume you don't have much experience with the series outside of those titles.
    I have played/owned FF1, FF2 (PSX/PSP) FF3 (DS) FF6 (PSX) FF10 and FF12 (PS2) and the spin offs FFVII: DOC FFVII:CC

As my Supervisor at work says- To Assume is to make an Ass out of U and Me lol :D

I can see where your all coming from, I just feel that because 7 and 8 are the ones I grew up with (being 18 now) they feel like THE Final Fantasies, IX felt more like KH, a lot more child-like you know?
    If you don't want me to make assumptions, perhaps you'd like give a more detailed initial post which explains why you hold the belief you're asking us to discuss.

Since you've played some of the earlier titles in the series, I cannot understand your reasoning. My first Final Fantasy was FFVIII. Then I got my hands on FFVII (which I had watched my friend play before I even bought FFVIII). I have since played (although not completed) every numbered entry in the series. I have thus been able to overcome my original (and perhaps distorted) perception of the series as a whole and recognize what it originally meant to be a Final Fantasy title. FFVI, FFVII, and FFVIII, together, exhibit an extreme departure from many of the original qualities of the series. Failing to recognize that these redefined Final Fantasy and then criticizing FFIX for going back to the series' roots, I believe, shows a significant amount of willful ignorance.

Also, a more light-hearted narrative combined with nonconventional character animations and a significantly more fantastical setting doesn't mean that FFIX is in any way childish. I'd say the subjects its narrative encompasses are far more mature than any themes FFVII or FFVIII attempt to deal with, and FFIX is generally more successful while addressing such themes anyway.

I never got into the whole "FF IX is returning to teh Roots" thing.

I mean look at the massive differences between FF 1 and FF 2.

Then FF IV dropped whole chosing a Job thing in favor of Pre-determined roles in battle.

Hell, every instalment of FF has had some fairly radical changes from the last.

FF IX is just tribute to all the many things from the past FF's, not a game returning to it's roots.

That said, I love it to pieces.

I think (no offence) that people who think VII is the best should play other FFs. 3 years Two of my friendwere like ''OMG VII IS THE BEST GAME EVER PLAYED!'' Until I lent them my FFIX and sent them a FFVI rom.Trying these two FF made them try other older FFs, namely FF 1,4 and 5. That made them realise how crappy VII is compared to the olders. They didn't feel like VII was a FF at all anymore. Yeah I do enjoy VII, but I'm more of a classical RPG-man, and dislike futuristic RPGs. I hated Xenosaga. Although this might make me contradict myself, my favourite FF is VI (closely folowed by IX then V)

n00b. :P

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Childlike? I fail to see this game being Childlike. Like the scene where Lindablum was massacred by the Alexandrian forces, or Alexandria getting Demolished by Bahamut, and then by the Invincible. Just about the only reason you can call this game Childlike is because of its graphics.

Anyway. This game has always been my favorite and will probably remain so. Out of FFVII-IX IX wins, big time, to me. First off, I like it switching back to 4 people in the ATB system. It brings a more fast pace needed to your decisions, especially on Active, or with a high battle speed. FFVII and FFVIII's battles all seemed too easy, so it easily triumphs them in terms of gameplay.

Then, in story I again much preferred FFIX. For starters, I found Kuja as the best villain out of all three, where its true, Sephiroth was pretty badass, that didn't make him a good villain. When it comes down to it, I much preferred seeing Sephiroth on the good side, hell I'd rather have him be the main freaking character! In terms of villains, you shouldn't really want that. Ultimecia was just the worst excuse for a villain ever, don't get me into why I hated her. Don't get me into why I hated FFVIII's story for that matter :P

I got far more feeling for the characters, hell, I was even far more sad with (SPOILER)Vivi's death, then Aerith's. By the end of the game we had gone through an emotional journey with him, he was one of my favorite characters. Aerith it was kinda like, "Hey bitch lookout behind-. Nevermind. Oh well." Because we barely knew her.

Cloud's character was far less appealing to me then Zidane's. Cloud spent a large amount of the game wallowing. It really pissed me off, he was looked up to as a leader, but to me, seemed to do nothing to deserve it. Zidane, was far more appealing. He clearly showed leadership, and people skills. He tried his best to battle through tough times, and comfort others, but he wasn't made like some untouchable hero. He showed times where he was pissed but helpless, and sometimes, even distraught.

It's a fun game with a nice plot and some great characters. Unfortunately, I can never play it, due to the sheer idiocy of a single minor design flaw.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

How dare you compare my beloved FFIX to Kingdom Hearts! They're not even in the same league!

Seriously, melodrama aside, FFIX is far from being child-like. Just because you have hippo women running around - it doesnt make the overall game thematically or ideologically more child-like. In fact, FFIX deals with very deep issues - issues surrounding life and what it means to live. These are hardly childish topics and the way in which they are presented is also deep. Just looking at the characters:

(SPOILERS)

Zidane - A bright, humorous and very real hero. Yet he's not invulnerable to mood swings as we see from the 'You're not alone' scene. He deals with some very serious issues regarding his purpose for living. His conflict of alleigance to Baku with love for Garnet is vaguely reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet. But he's definitely a much more likeable person than Romeo and Baku is definitely a much more sympathetic with his plight.

Garnet - Again, she too has to deal with the issue of her mother, someone who she loved deeply, turning evil and eventually dying. She watches as her kingdom is destroyed and almost everything is taken away from her. Hardly childish issues.

Vivi - One of the greatest characters of all time. Vivi begins not knowing much about anything - who he is, what he's doing here... Over time he comes to realise that by rights he should never have existed and that he owed his existance to a man of great destruction (Kuja). He deals with all sorts of issues including finding somewhere he belonged - was it the Black Mage village. In the end he answered his questions and found a way to create children. Although he died, he found a way to conquer death - the fear he felt throughout the game as he felt his life slipping away due to his overly short lifespan.

Steiner - Unarguably the greatest character in the history of the Universe. Steiner starts off as a sterotypical comical buffoon. He seems close minded but people realise that he has a good heart deep down inside. Over time he comes to learn from Zidane, and by the end of the game he is much more shrewd. He faces a serious dilemma throughout - 'having sworn fealty must I spend my life in servitude?' To an extent he solves those issues by the end of the game. He also becomes God. I worship him to this day.

Quina - Well Quina certainly seem silly doesnt it! Even a bit childish! But Quina adds some nice humour thoughout and kind of represents those who have a simple take on life.

Freya - She has a sad tale. She reflects how what most of us want in life is recognition and affection. She had all that but loses it. Upon finding Sir Fratley, his amnesia causes some quite heart rending moments. By the end she is on the path to rebuilding her life though.

Eiko - A bit of brat. But still, she shows the confusion living alone can cause people - she longs for attention and is abnormally grown up for her age in many ways. By the end she finds the attention she longs for.

Amarant - The lone wolf type. Amarant starts off as an enigma. Over time it is revealed that he was actually quite confused - he fails to understand Zidane on his outlook to life. As the game progresses he matures and realises that his way of thinking was flawed. That he shouldnt have gone around picking fights and the he discovers the merits of working in a team. He still retains his lonesome nature throughout though.

Kuja - A very confused character. He first appears in a position of power with all the party lying on the floor at his feet as he rides off on a silver dragon. This continues up until his battle with Bahamut and the eye from the sky. But as things continue we realise he has his frailties and at time he even appears childish with his fears of death. He is ultimately a pawn and this upsets him greatly. While his phenomenal power, he is actually not all that evil. This is shown at the end of the game. Instead he merely plays the role of being evil. After all, in his own mind he is centre stage and everyone else is watching his story unfold.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post

How dare you compare my beloved FFIX to Kingdom Hearts! They're not even in the same league!

Seriously, melodrama aside, FFIX is far from being child-like. Just because you have hippo women running around - it doesnt make the overall game thematically or ideologically more child-like. In fact, FFIX deals with very deep issues - issues surrounding life and what it means to live. These are hardly childish topics and the way in which they are presented is also deep. Just looking at the characters:

(SPOILERS)

Zidane - A bright, humorous and very real hero. Yet he's not invulnerable to mood swings as we see from the 'You're not alone' scene. He deals with some very serious issues regarding his purpose for living. His conflict of alleigance to Baku with love for Garnet is vaguely reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet. But he's definitely a much more likeable person than Romeo and Baku is definitely a much more sympathetic with his plight.

Garnet - Again, she too has to deal with the issue of her mother, someone who she loved deeply, turning evil and eventually dying. She watches as her kingdom is destroyed and almost everything is taken away from her. Hardly childish issues.

Vivi - One of the greatest characters of all time. Vivi begins not knowing much about anything - who he is, what he's doing here... Over time he comes to realise that by rights he should never have existed and that he owed his existance to a man of great destruction (Kuja). He deals with all sorts of issues including finding somewhere he belonged - was it the Black Mage village. In the end he answered his questions and found a way to create children. Although he died, he found a way to conquer death - the fear he felt throughout the game as he felt his life slipping away due to his overly short lifespan.

Steiner - Unarguably the greatest character in the history of the Universe. Steiner starts off as a sterotypical comical buffoon. He seems close minded but people realise that he has a good heart deep down inside. Over time he comes to learn from Zidane, and by the end of the game he is much more shrewd. He faces a serious dilemma throughout - 'having sworn fealty must I spend my life in servitude?' To an extent he solves those issues by the end of the game. He also becomes God. I worship him to this day.

Quina - Well Quina certainly seem silly doesnt it! Even a bit childish! But Quina adds some nice humour thoughout and kind of represents those who have a simple take on life.

Freya - She has a sad tale. She reflects how what most of us want in life is recognition and affection. She had all that but loses it. Upon finding Sir Fratley, his amnesia causes some quite heart rending moments. By the end she is on the path to rebuilding her life though.

Eiko - A bit of brat. But still, she shows the confusion living alone can cause people - she longs for attention and is abnormally grown up for her age in many ways. By the end she finds the attention she longs for.

Amarant - The lone wolf type. Amarant starts off as an enigma. Over time it is revealed that he was actually quite confused - he fails to understand Zidane on his outlook to life. As the game progresses he matures and realises that his way of thinking was flawed. That he shouldnt have gone around picking fights and the he discovers the merits of working in a team. He still retains his lonesome nature throughout though.

Kuja - A very confused character. He first appears in a position of power with all the party lying on the floor at his feet as he rides off on a silver dragon. This continues up until his battle with Bahamut and the eye from the sky. But as things continue we realise he has his frailties and at time he even appears childish with his fears of death. He is ultimately a pawn and this upsets him greatly. While his phenomenal power, he is actually not all that evil. This is shown at the end of the game. Instead he merely plays the role of being evil. After all, in his own mind he is centre stage and everyone else is watching his story unfold.
    That was one of the best posts to describe this game. EVER.

Other people alos influence the game quite a bit;

Beatrix- In the beginning, like Steiner, she had sworn loyalty to the Queen and was blindly following extremely destructive orders. People called her the 'ruthless General Beatrix', yet she was merely following orders and was misunderstood. But, by the time we get to battle her for the third time, we actually get to see her true character come into play. We soon find out that she has a kind soul and a good heart, only wishing to do the right thing. I believe for the most part she is reserved, but Garnet brings out her motherly side.

Brahne- Now this goes without saying, really. She was blinded by Kuja so that he could carry out his plans. You hate her one minute, then the very next you feel sorry for her because she is (SPOILER)dead.