Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite classical pieces

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

:monster: Your favourite classical pieces

As the title implies, I suggest we show what our favourite classical pieces happen to be.

Mine happen to be the following:

For Symphonic Band
    Ludwig Van Beethoven's Symphony Number 5 in C Minor, Opus 67, Allegro, 2nd Movement.

Oh the sweet, powerful song this particular piece weaves! The thunderous 5th has always arrested me in its force and ability to shake my soul.

As a side note, this song is of particular interest when on LSD.

For Piano
    Clade Debussy's Clair De Lune

This is of no surprise - Clair De Lune is an instantly recognizable piece, and happens to be a truly beautiful piece of work. Some of Chopin's, Bach, and Sibelius' works contend for this position as well, but I feel none of them can quite match the light, beautiful rhythms found within Clair De Lune. Well, maybe Chopin's Prelude in D Flat, Op. 28 No. 15 - Allegro Molto, but this has a much grander, sombre timbre to it.

For Orchestra
    Barry Wordsworth's Fantasia On A Theme

The sheer strength that this song pulls on your emotional strings is unmatched, I believe. To hear Thomas Tallis move his heart through the lone, weeping cello is, simply put, unreal.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

At the moment, Lacrymosa and Ach, Ich Fuhls by Mozart.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I've always loved The Planets by Gustav Holst. Specifically Jupiter - Bringer of Jollity, Venus - Bringer of Peace and Neptune - The Mystic. I've always loved the song I Vow To Thee, My Country which is what the middle part of Jupiter is. The way Neptune just fades out into the nothing right at the end is just so hauntingly brilliant. I was lucky enough to see a live performance of it back in February and it was one of the best things I've ever had the luck of attending. Utter brilliance. I'm not really up on my classical music, but The Planets is hard not to like.

Having mentioned one patriotic tune already (I Vow To Thee My Country), I think Jerusalem deserves mentioning. Such an utterly powerful piece of music. When it's sang properly with real feeling it's one of those songs that always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I love it. Originally a William Blake poem (And Did Those Feet In Ancient Time) but put to music by Parry and orchestrated by Elgar. Would be so much better as a national anthem than God Save the Queen.

Another rather predictable piece that I like is Erik Satie's Gymnopédie No.1. So calm and utterly delicately beautiful.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

My favourite for quite a while has been Die Maldau from Ma Vlast by Bedrich Smetana. Other favourites include Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D Min (also sounds awesome on bass), Mars from the Planets, The Peer Gynt suite by Elgar(?) and Orff's Carmina Burana. Also Pagannini's caprices are great practise pieces for electric guitarists, just check out what players like Steve Vai have done with them.

Also i agree Jerusalem would be better than God save the Queen.

BTW, thanks, this thread has just reminded me to check when the programme for this years Proms is out and it turns out its just come out. Better go see what i fancy going to see this year.
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche

Pacabel's canon in D

Moonlight Sanata

Fanfare for the Common Man
    Arthur Schopenhauer
    Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Claude DeBussy's Clair De Lune is one of my favourites too. I enjoy most versions of Maple Leaf Rag by Choplin, but I think thats me after listening to that when I was young. Newmans stuff is incredable... most mellow classical really.

Str8 Pimpin'

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Arvo Pärt's "Fratres" is divine, as is Henryk Górecki's Symphony no. 3 "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs".

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Schubert's Ellens Gesang III, D839, Op 52 no 6, 1825. Otherwise known as Schubert's Ave Maria.

Quote Originally Posted by blim View Post
    My favourite for quite a while has been Die Maldau from Ma Vlast by Bedrich Smetana.
    Ooh. Great Choice.

My favorite symphonic piece is Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Nothing tops "The Great Gates of Kiev".

For Piano, I love Chopin's "Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2".

Vocal pieces I like "O Mio Babbino Caro".

Those are the ones off the top of my head.
    What I've been listening to:

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think my favorite classical piece is Dvořák's From the New World, 2nd Movement.

Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherezade is awesome as well.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Reqiuem: Lacrisoma - Mozart is one of my favorites.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumble Bee".
    I like Kung-Fu.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm a big fan of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, as well as Mozart's Requiem.

I've been listening to a lot of Bach lately.

But I always prefer piano pieces over the rest. Except for a select few.

For some reason Für Elise has just been stuck in my head for the past couple of days. Think it's because I've been pretty nostalgic for the past week or so.

btw, 1st song I learned on piano. Then I did Chop Sticks.

*Goes Plays*
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?

I've always been in love with classical music so pretty much everything on my list is marked as favorite.
    The ones i've been listening lately as a maniac though are:
    Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major -- Bach
    Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring -- Bach
    The Revolutionary Étude -- Chopin