View Poll Results: which one should I play?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dragon Quest 8

12 41.38%
  • Star ocean Till the end of time (leaning towards this one)

6 20.69%
  • FF8

11 37.93%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I play?

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    I've never played DQ8. Star Ocean, in my opinion, doesn't deserve half of the hate it gets (I personally think all of that hate should be directed towards FFVII). Overall, I'd say play FFVIII, because Star Ocean is just so damn long.
    If you think Star Ocean is long, In DQ8 I had about 40 hours of non-stop level-grinding, which becomes useless after every boss, until I just gave up and quit the game. I only kept it a while longer because of the FF12 demo
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Sagensyg View Post
    I've never played DQ8. Star Ocean, in my opinion, doesn't deserve half of the hate it gets (I personally think all of that hate should be directed towards FFVII). Overall, I'd say play FFVIII, because Star Ocean is just so damn long.
    If you think Star Ocean is long, In DQ8 I had about 40 hours of non-stop level-grinding, which becomes useless after every boss, until I just gave up and quit the game. I only kept it a while longer because of the FF12 demo

I had around 90 hours of constant play on Star Ocean 3, and I still didn't find everything before I got sick of the game. As the game itself goes, it's pretty good.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Sagensyg View Post

I had around 90 hours of constant play on Star Ocean 3, and I still didn't find everything before I got sick of the game. As the game itself goes, it's pretty good.
    Yeah I had quite a long time on Star Ocean too

At least it had extra stuff for you to do if you finished and it didn't bore me most of the time
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Star Ocean: Good first half, bad second half
    Final Fantasy VIII: Good game, bad end section, tedious extractions
    Dragon Quest VIII: Good all the way through, but very long

Blog Entries

Chrono Trigger.

Out of those 3, I had the most fun with Star Ocean, and I think it's an experience you won't want to miss out on. Plus, you're leaning towards it anyway, so you'll feel like you made the right choice.

You guys rock! So I started Star Ocean. How many hours is in the main game alone?? Anyways after Star Ocean I am going to FF8 then DQ8. Any tips on Star Ocean? Again thanks for the advice!!!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default Star Ocean Tips?

I marked them with spoiler tags. :P

TipYou can have added endings depending on your relationship with characters. Like with Sophia early on in the game. (You'll know what I'm talking about)

Money TipWhen you go to a map that you can uncover new area on your minimap, try to uncover every single part of the area because it gives you a glass rabbit that you can use to run faster outside of battle, or sell for a helpful amount of money

Item TipOnce you get the ability to synthesize, it will be more convenient to create your own food, instead of buying the standard healing items at stores. The food will be vital once you get into the later parts of the game

Battle TipWhen in a battle and you use a skill like Blade of Fury for example, it will drain some of your Hp, so using skills constantly in random encounters early on in the game will cost you. Try to be conservative and you can edit your allies' AI to be conservative too

Battle Tip2There are special items that teach characters how to use magic. It will be very helpful for you to give a main attacker like Cliff or Fayt a healing spell because spells use up Mp, which they don't use much because their abilities drain Hp, not Mp.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Learn how to use the Cancel Bonus. Seriously.

Dragon Quest 8
    and good luck
    PS3 owner, but not played RPG yet (teh) :sweatdrop

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Learn how to use the Cancel Bonus. Seriously.
    Definitely. If you can master it early on, this game gets a lot easier. Combining your moves for Fayt will absolutely rip your enemies a new one. A good combo I found worked really well was (SPOILER)Blade of Fury and (SPOILER)Shotgun Blast. I don't know who your other characters are, but you shouldn't have to use them. I found that they worked a lot better when the computer used them. I only switched if Fayt was knocked out and he needed to be revived.

You should give Fayt the (SPOILER)'Basic Healing Symbols' ability as well. This will make him fairly self-sustainable.

And last thing, Battle Chain. Keep it up, and you'll get the Triple EXP bonus after battles. If you beat a boss with this bonus, you'll get MAJOR EXP. Where are you in it now?