Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which Movies > Books ?

BibliophileExtraordinaire Manny's Avatar

Practical Magic is horrible, stupid, disappointing book. The movies owns it so hard.

I've heard the Fight Club movie is better than the book, but I haven't gotten around to reading the book yet. I guess it's a matter of opinion.

可愛い ♥

BibliophileExtraordinaire Manny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I've never read the book version of Jurassic Park, but the film version is damn good. I can't imagine the book being better than what Spielberg managed to capture on screen.
    My friends used to go on about the book all the time, saying it's way better than the movie. I kept meaning to read it but never got around to it...
    Meh, if it is anything like Timeline then I'd say the movies are better. That being said, Timeline made a far better movie than it ever did a novel.
    Timeline is the most horrible movie I have regret to say I have ever wasted time on. I liked the book immensely. Jurassic Park was also a good book, but I might have to say that the movie was better.

可愛い ♥

whichever movie inspired the book.
    warning: i am NOT funny.

Jackie Brown was based on a short story (not that it was a faithful one) and I thought the movie was infinitely times better than the short story.

"The Phantom of the Opera" made a much better musical/movie then a novel. I did not like the writing style of the book, nor the pace.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
    Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I'm a damaged individual with no imagination. When I read a book, I just see words, no pretty pictures and characters and places. The only exceptions I can think of are Carrie and Island of the Blue Dolphins.

Therefore, the movie is always better for me.
    I like Kung-Fu.

If TV shows count then "Cristy" was way better as a show then the book. "Pride & Prejudice" was a better movie then a book, so was "The Scarlet Pimpernel."
    Arthur Schopenhauer
    Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Always watch the movie first! Otherwise all you think about is how lame it is when they have to cut stuff out
    But then you won't enjoy the book as much because you'll know what happens.

The shining. I read the book first, and didn't see why everyone claims it's such as brilliant film. [The woman who plays Wendy for example, was naff]

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Necron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Always watch the movie first! Otherwise all you think about is how lame it is when they have to cut stuff out
    But then you won't enjoy the book as much because you'll know what happens.

The shining. I read the book first, and didn't see why everyone claims it's such as brilliant film. [The woman who plays Wendy for example, was naff]
    Well Stanley Kubrick did supposedly at one point put Shelley Duvall through 100 takes. I'm not surprised she might have given up eventually. She's not as bad as all that anyway, it's just her role calls upon her to do little but snivel and scream.

The Shining is a tricky one as the book and film are so different.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Fight Club the movie is on-par with Fight Club the book. It's not better, and it is different, but they are both at the same level.
    Nice to see someone bring up Fight Club in this topic!

Personally, I enjoyed the movie far, FAR more than the novel. The novel is fun, but it contains a number of redundancies and pacing issues. There are reasons I've never read the novel more than once, but have watched the film some odd twelve times. They're different, but in my opinion the film gets it right. It trims the novel's fat, becoming a much faster-paced experience, and makes several improvements, such as the new ending that I vastly preferred.
    Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

The film version of A Clockwork Orange doesn't hold a candle to the book for me. As violent and appalling to some people as it was, the film was noticeably toned down in darker content. Having read the book first, I was probably biased going into it, but when I anticipated certain scenes and they completely changed them for content, I was disappointed. Not to mention the vast difference in the amount of Nadsat each used. Obviously the book is allowed to use it much more freely simply because it is of the written medium, but come on. Still a great movie, but not even close to the book in my mind.

Recognized Member smittenkitten's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator

I think the Harry Potter books are much better than the movies, they seem to be improving though.

Blog Entries

Starship Troopers. Way better than the book.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

Recognized Member smittenkitten's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Plum View Post
    Forest Gump, Pride & Prejudice, and... there was one more but Spuuky made me forget it.
    I'm currently reading Pride & Prejudice because I've seen the tv Drama over 100 times. I'll see which is better when I finish.