Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: <3 Music

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I try and stay open minded about music. The only genre that I really can't stand is 'gangsta' rap. The lyrics are just disgusting imho.

I have always been into rock/alternative/punk. That is really my music scene. But I love to explore other areas. I love country, but my girlfriend hates it so I don't get to listen to it much. I have been trying to explore more of hip hop and rap though.

But yeah, music is awesome. I love to just get caught up in it.

Oh, and the Beastie Boys are the best.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Remeber I 1st started listening to music with my dad. Garth Brooks. Then 90's Alt and 90's Rap from there. Into Heavy Metal. General Rock 'n Roll. Classical. Punk. And all those betweeners in there and a lot of other genres I don't feel like listing. Those were just the biggest ones in my life. But, I still love listening to it all and how it develops.
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?

I actually wasn't a fan of music for a huge portion of my life, it wasn't until I started playing Tony Hawk 2 did I actually start liking music. I fell in love with the soundtrack, most notably the rock songs. I mean, I had listened TRL when I was eight and liking the alternative music, I remember falling in love the the Rammstein song "Du Hast" back when it barely came out. But it wasn't until I had barely turned thirteen that I started to love rock music. Two years later, a friend introduces me to a metal band and I became a huge metal fan. I listened to a lot of black/gothic metal and would not consider listening to anything else.
    Now, after never truly achieving uber metal head status, I listen to other genres. Some rock, some techno, some Cypress Hill, even some Mexican music on the radio.
    But still metal is my favorite genre.
    Last edited by Montoya; 04-25-2008 at 06:48 PM.
    Anon say I. Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
    It's not simply that I hate a genre because of the way that it sounds. It's that, in addition to sounds that I don't like, the lyrics also contribute nothing toward a greater understanding of human nature. If more metal songs, for example, actually contained a legitimate analysis of the human condition, and did it in such a way that actually care about communicating those points, I'd probably listen to it more often.
    Metal songs an expression of the human condition, not an analysis of it. If I break my arm, it is a legitimate response to yell "ow" and something which does in fact warrant communication to other people. It isn't an analysis of how to get the issue fixed, but it doesn't have to be. There is time for that later, from other sources that can interpret the symptoms and treat it accordingly. Someone who tries to alter the human experience through music is more like a doctor than a normal person, who would experience and express their reality, but lack the necessarily knowledge (or intellect) to do something about it.

That being said, I hate lots of music because it doesn't sound good at all. Aesthetics is all that matters to me in music, just like it is essentially all that matters to me in art.

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    I can't put into words how much I love music. It's a huge part of my life, it's one of my hobbies (although I'm not a musician) and as I said I just overall love it. I can't imagine my life without it.
    Haha, this, basically. Although I'm an aspiring vocalist, I don't think I'm very good and wouldn't fit into the whole realm of classical/operatic training (which is the only kind I can get around here).

On the current topic: Agreed with Spuuky.

Also, if one doesn't believe their is music out there in the realm of metal which truly searches for greater understanding, an expansion of the mind, or calls into question something about this existence... well, one has yet to listen to Kayo Dot, among other bands.

Blog Entries

I use to be pretty strict about what genre I wanted to listen to, and it was usually pretty crappy. But these days my spectrum goes from stuff like comedy (Tim and Eric) to "hardcore/metalcore" (The Chariot) and then back to like Alicia Keys. I like keeping an open mind.

Music is a very big part of my life, and I entertained thoughts of forming a band, but I'm pretty stage shy
    now safe beneath their wisdom, and their feet;
    here i will teach you truly how, to sleep.

If you're into metalcore, you absolutely *must* listen to Protest the Hero. Check out Kezia (2005) and thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by Chzn8r View Post
    If you're into metalcore, you absolutely *must* listen to Protest the Hero. Check out Kezia (2005) and thank me later.
    Typical 5/8er.

I love music. The only genres i tend to avoid are pop and rap. (Pop to me is advertising not music). I have a massive stack of vinyl which includes punk, metal, folk, funk, dub, reggae, classical, psychedelic, rock, ambient and traditional music from india, china, egypt, iraq, russia, bulgaria, turkey, greece and Morrocco amongst many other styles and the various sub-genres of the above. One of the first questions i ask upon meeting someone from a different culture is to recommend some music from that culture to expand my horizons.

I play Bass, Guitar, Keyboards, Irish Bouzouki, Mandolin, Violin, Ocarina, Clarinet, Didgeridoo and Appalachian Dulcimer (to varying standards). I play regularly in an Irish folk band and a punk band although im trying to get a motown band together.

Music is essential to me, it wakes me up in the morning, gets me through my chores, relaxes me, gets me pumped up to go out and chills me out when i get home. whatever i am doing i tend to have an instrument either in my hands or within easy reach (i take my harmonica to work for tea breaks).
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    I can't put into words how much I love music. It's a huge part of my life, it's one of my hobbies (although I'm not a musician) and as I said I just overall love it. I can't imagine my life without it.
    This.

The only genre I really can't stand is country.

Gaze Upon the Mega Man! JackNapier's Avatar

I love many kinds of music, my favorite genres being progressive metal/rock and video game music. I play keyboard/piano, bass, and guitar. I'd love to get a band together, but my town is pretty small and fellow musicians are hard to come by unfortunately.

Yeh, I like music. I play drums, am in a band, and whatnot.

Basically, I like everything but modern rap (anything before 1990 is fine) and most modern "country" (Johnny Cash == AWESOME).

My top 5 bands:

The Replacements
    Wilco
    Dire Straits
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Steely Dan

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I love music. I agree with Mirage, in that I must have SOME form of music when I'm doing anything that doesn't require me to listen. I'm listening to the Weepies' new album as I type this.

I am inclined to be the same as everyone else and say that I like all kinds of music, including rap and country I sometimes get weird looks when I tell people that "my favourite artist is Kate Bush, my favourite band is Blonde Redhead, and my favourite rapper is Lupe Fiasco, although my favourite folk duet is the Weepies, and ... ", and then they ask me to stop naming every band I listen to.

I can't choose one

I junctioned your GF ;) BardTard's Avatar

Music is the best thing EVER. I'm extremely greedy when it comes to music. I want every song (that I like) ever made. I listen mostly to techno/dance music, rock, J-pop, J-rock, video game music and some pop. I hate rap, hip hop and R&B though.

My boyfriend and I are kinda in a band. We don't have any songs recorded yet but I write lyrics and we makes music.