Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who misses the old days?

and a game that I still cannot find anywhere...enhergiz(I think thats how its spelled), but I remeber getting to use cloud and sephiroth on it...I was happy

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    PC 360? Don't you mean 386? I loved my 286 & 386. 186, too, although the games weren't as good (Exception: DigDug).

I would probably say my best gaming days were also the PS1 days. The original Resident Evil series, Final Fantasy VII & VIII, the masses of half-decent local multiplayer games... good times, good times. And the variety is only matched by the PS2. The Xbox 360 doesn't have the variety, nor the Xbox 360 nor the PS3. If there was one thing the PS1/2 had, it was something of everything. If you liked a genre, there's a good chance they had more than a couple of decent games in it. Loved that.

Final Fantasy VII's blocky characters will always be, to me, the best ever. I think the fact that Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones sell so well has a lot to do with how they have blocky characters, too. I find the most immersive games were the ones that didn't have realistic anatomies.
    Wow, an administrator/site staff that i agree with...

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune Master
    r and a game that I still cannot find anywhere...enhergiz(I think thats how its spelled), but I remeber getting to use cloud and sephiroth on it...I was happy
    uh oh.

It's like an unwritten rule that if you bring up Ehrgeiz as anything other than a guilty pleasure, you WILL be assaulted by a herd of disenfranchised gaming cynics.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The old days? The old days are back when wireframe graphics were awesomely modern.

But I would agree that the PS1 was possibly my best era for gaming.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember the days of the ATARI 2600 and playing Frogger or Star Wars... good times good times...

To me the "good old days" would be defined as the real console war between Sega and Nintendo and the days when the arcade scene was in its Renaissance period... so about 85-95 ah fun times indeed.

My favorite era would be 94-2000 the late SNES days the birth and death of the Sega Saturn and the entire PS1 era. We saw the rise of a few famous franchises in the world market; that to this day still define a console's success. Technology finally caught up with ideas and every system had something substantial to offer.

old games >>>>>> new games.
    end o' story.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oh, yeah, to all those people complaining about how he called it the "old days" - well, they aren't exactly the new days anymore, eh?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Pong on oscillator display or gtfo.
    You mean Tennis For Two?

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Oh, yeah, to all those people complaining about how he called it the "old days" - well, they aren't exactly the new days anymore, eh?
    YAY...yeah you guys have no shame......LOL

NO Im not brown nosing gosh Im just tired at 5am

Playstation I never liked, especially due to its aggressive Sega-style marketing campaign and corny launch titles at the time. I'm talking back then recalling my first impressions of it though.

Back then I was mainly a PC/MAC nut, though I got a NES in '86 and played the usual Duck Hunt, Mario, etc. I really really liked Blaster Master. As for Final Fantasy I didn't get into that until 1992 with a brief rental of FF4. I got stuck and my rental was overdue so it was returned. Later, in 94 I had a Japanese friend who had FF6 (as well as other RPGs but they didn't interest me) and I borrowed that for a day and was hooked. A month later I completed the game.

I do miss gaming back then, when manuals had actual effort put into them and they would actually be read, when graphics were not #1 priority considering the little "40mhz-and-less" hardware popular out there, and when people online were 5322% more mature and literate than the usual internet of today.
    Yes, I drew all of these in under 10 minutes each

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Oh dear, I feel old...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Nominus Experse View Post
    Oh dear, I feel old...
    Tell me about it... I went and visited a place that had an awsome arcade that I spent my childhood in and its been reduced to nothing. I seriously miss the arcade scene. SF, SC, MK, and of course the almighty SNK cabinets of versatile fun Hell, even the DDR games are shoved in a small corner. I really miss the arcade scene

Old days to me means the likes of Genesis, NES, SNES, etc.

Those games are elite.

It seems they just put out these days.

The Genesis and SNES were the hallmarks of the golden age of gaming. A time before half the game got sucked away in load times, when games were about pure fun. The side-scrollers were wonderful. No one cared about Sonic or Mario's graphics, they just enjoyed the game. And then there were the RPGs, coming into their own. Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger are still some of the greatest RPGs of all time. Though I was never a huge fan of the particular genres, I remember enjoying sports games and racers (F-Zero was great) during the time of these consoles.

Is it any surprise that so many of these games are getting remade?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarmiglione View Post
    Old days to me means the likes of Genesis, NES, SNES, etc.

Those games are elite.

It seems they just put out :skull::skull::skull::skull: these days.
    They put out a lot of :skull::skull::skull::skull: in the early-mid 90s, too. A lot of forgettable :skull::skull::skull::skull:. That's the only reason it seems like games then were better than games today. Because you only think about the good ones.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    They put out a lot of in the early-mid 90s, too. A lot of forgettable . That's the only reason it seems like games then were better than games today. Because you only think about the good ones.
    Absolutely. There were countless lame, samey, totally unoriginal side-scrolling 2D platform games on the old consoles. For every Ecco the Dolphin or Jurassic Park there were fifty games like My Hero or Chuck Rock.