Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would it be wise...

Default Would it be wise...

Would it be wise to stick with the same 4 characters through the rest of the game once you obtain the airship? I just recruited Mog and have watched the events after making it to the end of the cave leading to the Sealed Gate. I wasn't sure if picking 4 characters to level up and obtain magic for the rest of the game was a good decision or not. If it is, which characters should I use?

Thanks!
    Enter At Your Own Risk
    A Pleasant Downfall

I swear to drunk I'm not God!

If you only level up 4 characters, you risk having problems in the dungeons that use 2 or more parties in the World of Balance, like the Phoenix Cave and Kefka's Tower, and the Dragons' Den in the GBA version. You'll have 4 characters that have high levels, and the rest of the characters risk dying a lot against the stronger monsters.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. It just seems like spreading the Espers across all of these characters would take forever for them to learn magic.
    Enter At Your Own Risk
    A Pleasant Downfall

I swear to drunk I'm not God!

If there's a character or two you absolutely hate, you can get away with not leveling up those two. You get 14 characters if you don't screw anything up, and the most you use at one time is 12.

I find that to be one of the most fun aspects of the game-- keeping my party as level as possible. I always take my weakest characters so they can get the experience, then when one of them surpasses the people on the sidelines, swap that character out for a weaker one. That makes you use lots of different party combinations and you never have the same party for the same task in replays, except of course for where your party is determined for you.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Teaching spells is easy enough if you fight in the desert east of the opera house in the world of ruin, so focus on the main ones like the cure and life spells, Osmose, and some of the higher level black magic spells. At most you'd have to level secondary characters to the mid 30's. As long as they have decent spells at that point (and sometimes even if they don't) they can hold their own against pretty much anything with one or two of your main characters mixed in with them. Slapping the moogle charm on Mog can also get weaker characters through a dungeon without fighting when you're forced to use them. Even then though, the game itself isn't too hard anyway, and like I said, by the time you hit your mid 30's for levels most characters can hold their own, especially in regular battles so don't worry too much about leveling everyone. I don't know what it would take for characters to hold their own in the Dragon's Den in the GBA version though, as I've never gotten around to playing all the way through that version.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I don't know what it would take for characters to hold their own in the Dragon's Den in the GBA version though, as I've never gotten around to playing all the way through that version.
    I did the entire dungeon with characters level range from 50-60. The dragons there are really tough

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you're worried about magic for your party, remember that all though most of them can learn magic, only a few are really talented at it to start off (the esper system can fix this issue) Terra, Celes, Edgar, Mog, Stago, and Relm all have natural talent for magic. Teach healing spells to everyone but if you're worried about grinding focus on these character when it comes to teaching support and offensive spells.

As the game progresses you start to to get espers that teach low level magic fairly quickly so its not too difficult to teach everyone, but in my experience, half the cast really doesn't need it.Mog, Cyan, Edgar, Sabin, and Setzer can easily hold their own without magic.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Every character doesn't need every spell. A few of the major ones, like Ultima, Cure3, Quick, Life2 and Life3 are nice to have. Other than those, you can teach specific spells to specific members and probably get by just fine.
    Figaro Castle

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator

You may want to wait until you have a diverse pool of Espers before you start learning magic with all of your characters. As Wolf Kanno mentioned, you will receive Espers that teach some spells very quickly and you can walk out with some new magic after a handful of battles as opposed to investing a lot more time in learning them early.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

I used every character pretty equally (except for Gau and Shadow) in the WoB, but once I entered the WoR I found and used Terra, Sabin, Relm, and Gogo as fast as possible and used them the rest of the time. I took Celes, Terra, Relm, and Strago to the Tower of Fanatics, so they had all the magic when I was done. My alternate party in the final dungeon got along fine and with little trouble, and my main party killed everything in a few turns. Spamming Quick, XMagic, and Bum Rush makes quick work of everything.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never get into fights for the purpose of leveling up magic, except occasionally before the Floating Continent in the WOB. I just make sure everyone has an esper equiped and learn as I naturally progress through the game.

I always had 4 super characters that were at high levels and all had superior equipment. These characters would spearhead my parties. (Level 60 Terra, equipped with a gem box and economizer can get through Kefka's Tower ALONE! ULTIMA! ULTIMA! ULTIMA!). Don't worry about teaching all of your characters magic! What to do with competent melee fighters like Sabin? Level him up with espers that push up his strength, and vigor. Utilize his ability with relics like Hyper Wrists, Genji Gloves, and Offerings. Final Fantasy 6 has some of the best accessories of all the Final Fantasy games. It's not necessary for every character to learn all the magic, or even a good portion of it! Be selective and customize your characters.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

In the GBA version of the game the other characters level up even if they weren't use in any battle exept they do not have any Esper abilities.
    Strago Magus

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by FFVIFan View Post
    In the GBA version of the game the other characters level up even if they weren't use in any battle exept they do not have any Esper abilities.
    No they don't. At certain points in the game everyone you're not using gets their levels reaveraged based on the average of everyone I believe, but they don't level up normally without being used in battles.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FFVIFan View Post
    No they don't. At certain points in the game everyone you're not using gets their levels reaveraged based on the average of everyone I believe, but they don't level up normally without being used in battles.
    Correct. When you regain a character in the World of Ruin that character can be auto-leveled to a certain point, but they never gain experience when they aren't in the current party when you're out leveling your in-party characters.
    Figaro Castle