Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best console to buy in the next six months?

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

Wow thanks, thats a lot of input...

Roto did kinda hit the nail on the head a bit... Though suddenly the PS3 is looking attractive. Can't honestly say I want MGS 4, but I didn't realise it had free online (I only recently found out XBox live needed to be paid for).

I'm gonna stick with my Cube for a while (I have Smash and Zelda to rinse on that first ), but I would like to stay vaguely with progress once money is coming in... Its nice being able to discuss games while everyone else is playing them!

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Blog Entries

I haven't played it, but Warhawk looks like a lot of fun. And Folklore might be your cup of tea.

PS3: The only one of the next-gen consoles I have. If you can access the internet (along with all the other pros mentioned), your experience will be orgasmic. The PS3 is going to have amazing years coming up but if you're wanting just gameplay, I suggest waiting for a few months.

Xbox 360: I've never really paid that much attention to it, but it obviously has a great selection of (fun?) games. (Don't kill me! *hides*)

Wii: Yippee! Fun stuff! SSBB! Etc., etc.

DS: I've had so much fun with the DS in my 3 years of owning one. If you have a great selection of games that make full use of the touch screen, then this can be a really fun little console to carry with you.

PSP: Basically identical to the PS3 minus some features. Great selection of fun games. Crisis Core is amazing, so is remote play.

If I were in your situation, I would go ahead and make plans to sign up for a waiting list for a Wii (or order one from eBay or other online merchant). I'd wait a few months to get a PS3 and PSP. Xbox 360 would be a good alternative to the Wii, and after you get a Wii, consider picking up a DS. They're loads of fun.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was in the same dilemma last month, minus the Wii, because I'd rather nail my dick to a burning wall than own a console called "wii", and settled on a 360 over a PS3, because of the games. The 360 just has better games. There are no RPGs I know of on the PS3 at all. Full stop. Zero. 360 has Lost Odyssey, which is a 360 exclusive. I have high hopes for Mistwalker, because they've got Hironobu Sakaguchi. I expect them to be the next Squaresoft. Not Square-Enix, but Squaresoft, as they were before they started gasping out their dying breath. I haven't tried Blue Dragon, but I've heard good things about it. Mobile Ops: One Year War is also slated to be a 360 exclusive. Lost Odyssey and Mobile Ops alone were enough to justify the cost of the 360 as far as I'm concerned, and they're the only games I was concerned with when I made my purchase. Since then, I've had tons of fun with Dynasty Warriors: Gundam, but I've been meaning to try the Dynasty Warriors franchise since I got my PS2 last year, so I can't really credit the 360 for introducing me to it.

EDIT: Also, achievements rock.

Blog Entries

^Folklore is an RPG on the Ps3.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have all consoles except for the ps3.. so until then i will postpone judgement on the garbage ps3

as far as PS3 argument, here's mine: apparently the "industry" is getting rid of DVD, HD DVD's and their players. Leaving only, and the PS3 being the chaeapest BluRay player, that's why i'm gonna be getting one.
    That and the MGS4, and FFXIIIv coming out for it. But mainly for the movie format junk.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

The PS3, aside from it's capabilities as a Blu-Ray Player (which is something to consider now that the HD-DVD is officially dead), is an investment for the future. I bought a PS3 simply because I was offered favorable circumstances that allowed me to purchase one for only $250 out of my own pocket (the rest worked out well with trading in games and selling my PS2). The only reasons I can offer for purchasing the PS3 are its capabilities as a Blu-Ray Player and it's future: FFXIII, FFvXIII, and MGS4.

The Xbox 360, as others have mentioned, is a known quantity. You're getting a great game library at your fingertips with the Xbox 360 from a number of genres. Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey are two fantastic RPGs for the console, which is the genre the original really neglected. Mass Effect is also a fantastic game. If you're not into RPGs (since you're posting on a FF message board, I assume you are), there's always the staples of the Xbox consoles. You should be familiar enough with those.

The Wii is more of a multi-player console. I love Super Mario Galaxy and The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, but they're really all that's being offered in the way of strictly single-player games that I'm particularly fond of (although there's always Metroid Prime 3 as well if you like that kind of thing). Super Smash Brothers Brawl is quality, and Mario Kart Wii is pretty awesome so far as well.

I have my DS mainly for the Ace Attorney series, but the New Super Mario Bros. game and Super Mario 64 DS are also pretty solid. Elite Beat Agents is supposed to be fairly good as well, but I've never played. There's also the FFIII and FFIV DS remakes to keep in mind.

As for the PSP, it's a good system, especially if you want to spend the time to turn it into an emulator for all your PSX games. Otherwise, the only games I really like on it are Crisis Core and FFT: The War of the Lions. I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep as well, but that's quite a ways off yet.

That's my perspective as someone who owns them all, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    ^Folklore is an RPG on the Ps3.
    More of an adventure game if you ask me.

Enchanted Arms was released on the PS3 also. And it's more about upcoming RPGs than existing ones (I HOPE; DO NOT SHATTER THIS DREAM). Like the 360 has so many great ones? :C Dynasty Warriors Gundam (and 6): also PS3, not just 360.

Man, I love my PS3. DW6, GTA4, and FF13 are all I need. And maybe Soul Calibur 4.