Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I play FF I?

Default Should I play FF I?

Hi everyone...So, I've been wondering for a while whether or not I should play this installment in the FF franchise. I got started with X and then moved on to VII, VIII, IX, VI, and XII. I've never really had any interest in playing the first 5 games, but I played IV because I got the impression that was the best one of 1-5.

Anyway, the reason I'm reluctant is because I can't really see how this game would appeal to me. I really love stories, and to be honest, I'm not a very intense gamer or a very good one. I do not play RPGs because I like battle systems. I play because of interesting stories with characters that I will enjoy following through an adventure. I don't know very much about FFI, but it seems like it would be very simple story-wise. FFIV, though good, was my least favorite FF because it seemed so simple plotwise and everything. I know that the game was probably revolutionary for its time, but for me, it felt like I was playing an outline for all other FFs (if that makes sense). I worry that I will get the same 'bare bones' feeling from FFI.

As an aside, I have now completed IV, VI, VII, X, and X-2, and I have tried a good portion of VIII, IX, and XII. There's something that I love about each one of these titles, but as I play more and more, each title loses its 'zing.' I was floored by X, as it was the first RPG I played. It remains my favorite for nostalgia reasons. However, as I proceeded to play VII, and then VI, and then X-2, and then IV...they started to lose some their impact. Have any of you ever felt that playing so many FFs has sort of...desensitized you to the series? If not, do you spend a lot of time playing other games?

Anyway, if I did decide to play FFI, I would but Dawn of Souls. Then I'd probably get III and V because I couldn't stand only missing two titles.
    I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII: DoC, VII: CC, VIII, X, X-2, XII, KH, KH:CoM, Re:CoM, KHII, CT

Well the level of difficulty in I is around the same as IV, if not easier. Also, there is not much character development (hell, they don't even talk). The story is well simple, like you said. It's just find A to give to B, get C from B, give C to D, etc... The battle system is alright (no ATB, which is good or bad for different people, it's a very normal battle system). The graphics and sound are good, esp on DoS and PSP.

I'll leave the rest to you. Hope I helped.
    warning: i am NOT funny.

Wow, the characters don't even talk in the GBA and PSP versions?
    I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII: DoC, VII: CC, VIII, X, X-2, XII, KH, KH:CoM, Re:CoM, KHII, CT

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

but I played IV because I got the impression that was the best one of 1-5.
    You were correct.

Play Final Fantasy 1, if you do, you can recognize all the little spoofs in the other Final Fantasies.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

To be honest with you, I doesn't have much in the way of story. If you have a good imagination you may enjoy it because a lot of things are really left up to that. But there's barely a plot, what plot there is doesn't make a lot of sense, and the characters, well, just like the plot they're nothing except what you imagine them to be. Based on what you've said, I doesn't sound like your kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hhr1dluv View Post

yeah, they don't. unless a ! above their heads counts as talking. :P
    warning: i am NOT funny.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Ummm...no? What did you expect? o_O

Ummm...no? What did you expect? o_O
    I expected Square to expand on the story and the characters in the same way that they worked on the graphics and stuff. I heard that they added story and character content to FFIII to make it more appealing to modern day gamers. I imagine that they did not do the same thing for this installment.

Eh, if I get a DS, I'll probably buy Dawn of Souls. :rolleyes2

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I expected Square to expand on the story and the characters in the same way that they worked on the graphics and stuff. I heard that they added story and character content to FFIII to make it more appealing to modern day gamers. I imagine that they did not do the same thing for this installment.

I believe that Square Enix may expand upon the game itself and its background in the event that they remake the game with updated graphics in a style similar to the highest resolution graphics. All reiterations of Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II have used two-dimensional graphics, so I think that they are still trying to capture that old school feel.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Give me one really, really good reason not to. It's a brilliant RPG that was essential to forming gamerising history: what more do you need? If you're a fan of the series, it's even more of a reason to play it. Even just mess around a bit on a friend's copy, you don't have to go all out on it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Do you own a Playstation Portable? The latest revision of the game has everything from its prior incarnations along with the most up to date graphics.

^I do, but I like the idea of two games at once. Then the only FF I'd be missing is V. And XI...but I don't count that one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

I thought that the PSP version had Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II in the same package.

Everyone should play FF one at least once in their life.

Get a rom if you don't want to spend any money. However its legality is questionable.