Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video games research project

Default Video games research project

My name is Dr Guy Porter, a clinical researcher based in Sydney, Australia. I am part of a team of researchers headed by Dr Vladan Starcevic, Associate Professor at the Discipline of Psychological Medicine, University of Sydney.

We are investigating patterns of video game use, both online and offline. Specifically, our project aims to determine the characteristics and impact of excessive video game use.

We are looking for video game users from all backgrounds and who play all types of video games to take part in an anonymous online survey.

This project is not for profit and has received ethics committee approval by The University of Sydney.

If you’d like to take part, please follow the link below to our website:

Psychological Medicine - Nepean Clinical School - The University of Sydney
    (The survey can be found at the top right corner)

-Dr Guy Porter
    Clinical Researcher

For:
    A/Prof Vladan Starcevic
    Discipline of Psychological Medicine
    University of Sydney
    Australia

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

just a FYI, this is semi-staff approved xD Mullet said he took the survey and it was all clear. It's just that those pink titles are hard to take away once they get put on xD

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

The survey is fine. Doesn't ask for any personal information or anything. Just wants you to answer questions.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I took the survey, but I feel that it's overly biased against video games, especially the second questionnaire. I think that they're going to attribute things such as 'restlessness sleeping' to overplaying video games, although that isn't the case for me-- it's my allergies acting up and I suddenly wake up because I can't breathe!

Blog Entries

I'm shocked at how many of these questions are so obviously "No".

Did it. I also included a brilliant essay on the importance of video games in modern society as a part of my personal comment.

Ban...harsh...?

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I have no idea how half of that stuff can be connected to videogames. Also, when I cancle movie/party plans for games it's group effort. Like the last time. We were planning on watching Superhero Movie, but at the last minute we said screw it, let's play Warcraft.

I can't say that I'm all that impressed with the survey, as it seems to be highly biased against gaming. Because, you know, gaming makes you hear voices and whatnot. Attention Dr. Guy Porter: gaming does not make one a social retard, nor does it make one a sociopath. I fervently hope that you're trying to prove that it doesn't, instead of the other way around, but damn if the questions don't exactly inspire me to such an end.

At any rate, I selected "Not at all" and the like for just about everything in the entire survey because, you know, I'm not addicted to WoW or whatever. Seriously, how many different ways are there to say "do you hear voices"? Here's what I had to say in the little "comments about your video game use" section at the end, if anyone cares to read:

(SPOILER)I greatly enjoy gaming. It is my preferred hobby and I feel that it is an exciting new medium with which to discover artistic possibilities and it sparks my creativity and imagination in ways that other mediums simply cannot.

As much as I love gaming, I must say that it DOES NOT interfere with other aspects of my life and well-being, as this survey is seemingly striving to indicate. It is a wonderful creative outlet and a great passion of mine, but I know my priorities and consider myself to be an extremely healthy, well-adjusted individual.

EDIT: @ 'steiner: Essay w00t!!!
    Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Strong criticism of this survey. I have suffered from some of those things like nervousness in the past 7 days, for reasons entirely unrelated to gaming. I am entirely aware of the reasons for it, and gaming is not a reason.

In fact, I cannot in good conscience complete this survey, as I do not see how it can account for the possibility of thousands of other factors in a person's life without becoming completely useless anyway.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 05-06-2008 at 06:51 PM.

I don't think a lot of you people understand this kind of thing. :P

Nobody is going to automatically assume that you, as an individual, have a problem that is a direct result of video games. When it's finished, if 60% of the people who took the survey who game for 8 hours a day also suffer from schizophrenia or something, that's when the eyebrows start being raised and different possibilities as to why the correlation exists will be examined.

Stop acting like they're assuming gamers are sick, twisted little cretures, and stop acting like your own answers have a profound effect on the results and will make or break the accuracy of the thing.

If 0.5% of gamers suffer from headaches once every few days, nobody is going to take it as anything but a coincidence.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Took the survey, and it very much seemed to me like there were things in there that suggested anti-sociality or manic/depressive behavior due to gaming. Hopefully, if people take the test seriously, they'll just show once again that video games are not a cause of concern as with any other medium.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

:monster:

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    I took the survey, but I feel that it's overly biased against video games, especially the second questionnaire. I think that they're going to attribute things such as 'restlessness sleeping' to overplaying video games, although that isn't the case for me-- it's my allergies acting up and I suddenly wake up because I can't breathe!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Stop acting like they're assuming gamers are sick, twisted little cretures, and stop acting like your own answers have a profound effect on the results and will make or break the accuracy of the thing.
    Regardless, it appears that others are complaining because of the nature of the negative questions versus the nature of the positive questions. The fact that it is asked is what is bothersome to them, as it means that there are still research and studies into the negative aspects of gaming without any emphasis on the positive aspects of gaming. Studies may or may not be focused on a specific positive or negative aspect, yet it is still disconcerting when it only focuses on the negative.

Please be nicer to your fellow members of Eyes on Final Fantasy.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Roto, I didn't know that the survey would be able to figure out whether videogames had any correlation whatsoever to the innumerate people who are, at any given time, stressed, unhappy, angry, or nervous about something. It's a good thing that we have developed some sort of perfect psychic testing measurement to remove all the problems of something like this, so that we can actually see where correlation indicates causation and where it indicates nothing.

I am sceptical about this for a number of reasons;

1) It's open to anyone who wishes to volunteer themselves. I could pretty easily take it over and over, even assuming they have security measures against that, in order to influence the outcome. So could Jack Thompson.

2) It's opt-in. I am extremely hesitant to think that this might form anything approaching a sensible sample group.

3) It assumes honesty from participants. As just one example, what if I don't trust them to be confidential about the illicit substances results, and I lie in order to protect myself? Further, what if I'm simply mistaken in my responses? Or what if someone takes a hostile stance in reading the questions, and thinks that the survey is indeed anti-gamer? What if they change their own answers in order to counter this perceived bias? Conversely, if the researches account for that, how can the people who answered honestly be properly heard? I know these are issues that all such research has to contend with, but compounded with my concerns 1 and 2, it is quite significant.

In short, even as part of a broader project (ie. also involving qualitative research; participant observation, interviews, etc.), I find this to be questionable. How is it going to be presented? Just the pure data? Holistically, combined with a broader ethnographic study? Who is this research being done for/by? What schools of thought do they come from? How does the survey as an individual item and the project as a whole account for hermeneutical problems? etc. etc. ad nauseum.

I've no desire to impugn the reputations of those conducting this research, but if I've learnt anything from the last year of uni, it's to be extremely sceptical of absolutely any and all research in the social sciences. So yes, Roto, I do know how these things work, and that is exactly why I'm not going to take part.

The study is looking for facts and the questions can only paint gaming in a bad light if people answer them that way. And if people are being honest and it does show that gamers don't sleep enough, it's not because the survey is trying to portray gamers as one thing or another, it's because it's true.

EDIT: Paranoid much? The best thing you can do about that is answer the questions honestly yourself. Withholding your own answers isn't going to help anything.